The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo | D

GoldenAlien

On 10/26/2020 at 3:55 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

My guess is that he’s saying that, when it comes to the modern speed game, you’re better off with the elite skater with questionable hockey IQ than the elite brain with really bad feet. At least when it comes to Dmen and defending against speedy players. I’d tend to agree. An elite skater with size and maybe some questions around how he thinks the game, can be trained up with basic fundamentals, and become a very effective defenceman. It’s a little different with forwards, especially on the offensive side of the puck, where I’d almost argue the opposite. For a scoring forward, I’m taking the elite hockey brain, even if he has questionable feet.

We don't disagree on much Sid, but going to strongly disagree with you on this one. If a player has an elite hockey brain he might have average skating or even below average skating but he typically would not have "really bad feet". You'd know what to work on to improve your skating if you have elite hockey IQ. Also, for a Dman, imo hockey IQ reigns supreme even more so than a forward. It's very much a "thinking" position, much more so than forward. The best Dmen to ever play the game weren't necessarily physically gifted but had the brains to think the game better than anyone (Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Orr). They used their brains to figure out how to work with what they've got. Yes they were all excellent skaters, but their hockey IQ would have helped develop that skill. Even if they were below average skaters, they would have figured out a way to be extremely effective against top skilled opposition. Suter, Hamhuis, Vlasic being more "reasonable" examples.

A forward with lower hockey IQ and good physical assets can be "hidden" on the wing. We have one of those on our team. But a Dman with low hockey IQ can't be sheltered. A mistake/brain fart and it's in the back of your net. And brain farts will happen with lower hockey IQ. Like I said it's very much a thinking/anticipating position.

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

We don't disagree on much Sid, but going to strongly disagree with you on this one. If a player has an elite hockey brain he might have average skating or even below average skating but he typically would not have "really bad feet". You'd know what to work on to improve your skating if you have elite hockey IQ. Also, for a Dman, imo hockey IQ reigns supreme even more so than a forward. It's very much a "thinking" position, much more so than forward. The best Dmen to ever play the game weren't necessarily physically gifted but had the brains to think the game better than anyone (Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Orr). They used their brains to figure out how to work with what they've got. Yes they were all excellent skaters, but their hockey IQ would have helped develop that skill. Even if they were below average skaters, they would have figured out a way to be extremely effective against top skilled opposition. Suter, Hamhuis, Vlasic being more "reasonable" examples.

A forward with lower hockey IQ and good physical assets can be "hidden" on the wing. We have one of those on our team. But a Dman with low hockey IQ can't be sheltered. A mistake/brain fart and it's in the back of your net. And brain farts will happen with lower hockey IQ. Like I said it's very much a thinking/anticipating position.

Hockey IQ for defencemen can take years to develop and is especially variable depending on the system under which he plays. In structured defence a lot of the play is almost decision-tree like: In this case do this, if this then that, and so on - you don't have to be brilliant, you have to be conscientious and gritty. If a player is a great skater and conscientious and gritty, he can still be a very capable defender.  How much a player 'gets it' is very variable among defencemen prospects and it can take years before you know. I look at guys like Connaughton that were great juniors, we gave up on him, but still there he is most of six years in the NHL.

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Hockey IQ for defencemen can take years to develop and is especially variable depending on the system under which he plays. In structured defence a lot of the play is almost decision-tree like: In this case do this, if this then that, and so on - you don't have to be brilliant, you have to be conscientious and gritty. If a player is a great skater and conscientious and gritty, he can still be a very capable defender.  How much a player 'gets it' is very variable among defencemen prospects and it can take years before you know. I look at guys like Connaughton that were great juniors, we gave up on him, but still there he is most of six years in the NHL.

It can take years to develop but there's always a 'foundation' you can build on. And we don't play a very structured style do we ;) Also it's not as straight-forward as you make it out to be in today's NHL, even in a structured style. The dman has to be able to read the play and anticipate quite a bit, assessing and neutralizing the highest risk on the ice that's their responsibility while also mitigating any blown coverages at a very rapid pace in the NHL. And with the skill/speed/shiftiness of the players today you see quite a bit more "blown" coverages than you did a couple of years ago - I say "blown" in quotes because players are also able to make plays in minimal time & space so even small mistakes get amplified. I'd take hockey IQ over good skating any day.

This is not me casting aspersions on Jurmo, I know next to nothing about the guy other than the tweets about his Liiga games I see in this thread, I've never seen him play. I want to see him play at least in camp before I can even start to form an opinion about him. I don't like watching highlight videos other than to get hyped because they're not very telling of a player's game. And I can't find full game (shift-to-shift) videos of Jurmo, although I haven't checked in a minute.

On 11/11/2020 at 11:59 AM, Vanuckles said:

Seeing how Orr supported Trump, I seriously question his IQ level...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

On October 7, 2020 at 2:12 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Jeff Brackett was a part time scout when Benning took over the team????? Should we say any more?

Jim Benning always had the final say?? That is why Brackett left???? Brackett want full control ????

2014 Brackett was part time scout??  Did we not draft 1. Virtanen 2. McCann 3. Demko, 4. Tryamkin 5. Forsling....  

Brackett only a pro scout for 5 years??? Say no more...

• Haha 1

On October 7, 2020 at 11:58 AM, mordekai said:

From athletic 

A prominent knock on Jurmo is that he doesn’t leverage his size enough as a defensive asset – he’s too reliant on his stick – but he’s not a liability in his own zone and clearly has room to grow as a defender given his unique stature.

Nonetheless, huge defencemen who can skate like the wind and possess above-average puck skills are rare commodities, making Jurmo a potential steal in the second or third round.

Yes he is only 18 years old come on, he will make some mistakes... Lots of potential, skating, size, reach, IQ, ...Future # 4 D man Great Job Benning and group...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Lets just clarify a couple of things

First, skating is generally a learned skill and has nothing to do with IQ. You can improve acceleration by weight training and technique. You can increase speed by weight training and technique, you an improve lateral-ness by technique and training. Can you become the best in the world by technique and training? No, somethings are up to God.

Look at how Bo improved his skating.

Secondly, IQ. .........IQ is the ability to recognize a situation (whether it be offensive or defensive) quicker than others around you, then act on it quicker than others (executive function).......In hockey, it is that and the ability to actually execute the play, that player has decided to do. IQ is not learned ( it is, but only marginally)

As we have witnessed, some players never learn

In saying all the above, there is a pecking order in the world and in hockey, and we need to recognize, that even a marginal 4th liner, is still an elite player, compared to us mortals, who sit here as experts. These players are machines.

The only other things that are not talked about drive and temperament, which are developed from an early age, and some have it some do not! Some have been given this gift from God again, and can not be explained.....

I find the parts of a successful hockey player very interesting..........I met a scout one day, who said, "the minors are filled with good skaters, guys that can score, and guys that have great IQ, but no drive!"...his take was "DRIVE" was the most important thing, separates what we do with what we have been given, and what we can learn, and the ability to always want to improve.

Those like Orr, Gretz, Pettersson, etc, have been given gifts, and take those gifts and always demand more of themselves

After all...........how does a scrawny kid like Wayne Gretzky, dominate, huge men at age 16? How is that explained? 

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1