The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo | D

GoldenAlien

27 minutes ago, reyezone said:

I like Jurmo's game from the few clips I've seen.

I like how since Benning has taken over we have a constant stream of quality prospects.  

Guys like Aiden Mcdonough and Jurmo are a real boost to an already brimming pool of prospects - Rafferty, Rathbone, Lind. the Hog, Pods, Dipietro,... 

It is more fun to be a fan when our clubs draft picks perform well and excel. I don't know if it's recency bias or the coverage these days with the internet, but I don't recall ever having a prospect pool anywhere near as good.

“Jurmo is now my top European defenceman and the more I watch him, the more I’m convinced he is a first-round talent. I believe he has top-pairing potential based on his skating ability and his offensive instincts. There is refining and developing to be done, but the raw upside warrants this ranking. Jurmo reminds me a lot of fellow Finn Rasmus Ristolainen, who went eighth overall in 2013, but Jurmo hasn’t gotten as much exposure to date. He is still very underrated and could be labelled a sleeper based on other rankings and mock drafts. Jurmo is often labelled a project — thus the conservative rankings — but I’m ready to call him the real deal.” – Larry Fisher, The Hockey Writers 

He's a pretty raw player but the upside is very high. Quite a few scouts believe he's on of the best skaters in the draft. Watched a couple videos of how he plays when he is aggressive on the rush and it's spectacular at times how well he can move up the ice with the puck. Even without the puck he can turn a 2 on 2 into a 3 on 2 easily with his skating.

Still though I am thinking he is a solid 2-4 years away

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 11/16/2020 at 12:02 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Alot of people questioned the hockey IQ of Ed Jovanovski.  

I like this comparison. Doubtful he'll have the same ceiling but something akin to a potential, bottom 4, Finnish, Jovo-cop does sound good B) 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

If he ends up like Jovo, I’ll be getting in line to buy his jersey!

Fingers crossed! Always loved Jovo... His jubilation while in the penalty box is etched in to my mind (as is the ko punch on Deadmarsh). 

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Fingers crossed! Always loved Jovo... His jubilation while in the penalty box is etched in to my mind (as is the ko punch on Deadmarsh). 

That punch by Jovanovski  ended Deadmarsh career. You can't feel bad, because Deadmarsh was very agressive himself and wouldn't think twice about doing the same himself

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

That punch by Jovanovski  ended Deadmarsh career. You can't feel bad, because Deadmarsh was very agressive himself and wouldn't think twice about doing the same himself

If Deadmarsh put up as many points and played as well against the other teams in the league, as he did against the Canucks, he would be in the hall of fame.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, gurn said:

If Deadmarsh put up as many points and played as well against the other teams in the league, as he did against the Canucks, he would be in the hall of fame.

Man the Canucks could do with a Deadmarsh clone. I was watching him in Kimberly one Fall, pre season game Portland WH's. There was a kid give him a tap, no more, on the shins. He chased the guy and beat the crap out of him  .... intense .... I guess that's no longer acceptable now 

• Cheers 1

On 11/18/2020 at 9:35 AM, theo5789 said:

Unfortunately I associate that with us ending our season in what felt like 10 seconds into OT with him still in the penalty box.

I don’t like that crack, but have to admit it is damned funny. And returning to topic, loved the rush by Jurmo.

Edited by Ray_Cathode

7 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don’t like that crack, but have to admit it is damned funny. And returning to topic, loved the rush by Jurmo.

Tell me how many times have you seen a duplicate of that rush in minor hockey, nice rush but no idea how to finish. Heck you can see it when you visit 8 rinks. I think his size prevents him from cutting back but he has to work on it or make the most of his size and drive right through the net :lol:

On 11/18/2020 at 2:31 PM, Fred65 said:

Deadmarsh who was with the Avs, got knocked out by Jovo and woke up as an LA King. Jovo was an absolute game changing D-man when he was mad

On 11/11/2020 at 11:59 AM, Vanuckles said:

We don't disagree on much Sid, but going to strongly disagree with you on this one. If a player has an elite hockey brain he might have average skating or even below average skating but he typically would not have "really bad feet". You'd know what to work on to improve your skating if you have elite hockey IQ. Also, for a Dman, imo hockey IQ reigns supreme even more so than a forward. It's very much a "thinking" position, much more so than forward. The best Dmen to ever play the game weren't necessarily physically gifted but had the brains to think the game better than anyone (Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Orr). They used their brains to figure out how to work with what they've got. Yes they were all excellent skaters, but their hockey IQ would have helped develop that skill. Even if they were below average skaters, they would have figured out a way to be extremely effective against top skilled opposition. Suter, Hamhuis, Vlasic being more "reasonable" examples.

A forward with lower hockey IQ and good physical assets can be "hidden" on the wing. We have one of those on our team. But a Dman with low hockey IQ can't be sheltered. A mistake/brain fart and it's in the back of your net. And brain farts will happen with lower hockey IQ. Like I said it's very much a thinking/anticipating position.

Example of this is Chris Pronger. Prongs was slow as molasses his final years in Philly, but he was never caught out of position. All that experience and smarts, he was just a play or 2 ahead of the play, just knowing where the passing lanes are, diagnosing where the play is going to happen. Ive seen Pronger play as Blue and he was an absolute beast but his best hockey IMO opinion was when he was with the Flyers when they ended up in the finals. He basically shut down half the ice with just his genius level intellect of the game, and dragged Philly to the finals

• Cheers 1