The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo | D

GoldenAlien

4 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Could be a good one. Nikita Tryamkin 2.0

God I hope not.

The more I look into Joni, the more I like this pick. Seems like a steal. And gives the Canucks more defensive depth. We now have 3 Finnish defensemen in our prospect pool in Juolevi, Toni Utunen, and now Joni Jurmo.

I suspect Joni will come over to North America in about two years.

He's not a 1st round pick so I'm gonna keep my expectations tempered with this kid.

47 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Good news is that he says he watches a lot of Canucks games since they have good young talent so that will help him process the game watching our high IQ core

I wonder if playing video games (NHL specifically) as a teenager helps with hockey sense or it just comes naturally ? how to improve such a critique besides watching film

I've always wondered this as well.  Lot's of film,& books?  I'm assuming video games isn't a popular method but it makes sense that it would help teach X's & O's.

As for Jurmo, sounds like a great pick.  Another kid that seems to have fell but has all the tools to be a useful/great player. Definitely going to be interesting following his development.  Maybe Salo can even help work on his game.

2 hours ago, mordekai said:

From athletic 

A prominent knock on Jurmo is that he doesn’t leverage his size enough as a defensive asset – he’s too reliant on his stick – but he’s not a liability in his own zone and clearly has room to grow as a defender given his unique stature.

Nonetheless, huge defencemen who can skate like the wind and possess above-average puck skills are rare commodities, making Jurmo a potential steal in the second or third round.

how does this kid make it to round three?

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

God I hope not.

The more I look into Joni, the more I like this pick. Seems like a steal. And gives the Canucks more defensive depth. We now have 3 Finnish defensemen in our prospect pool in Juolevi, Toni Utunen, and now Joni Jurmo.

I suspect Joni will come over to North America in about two years.

He's not a 1st round pick so I'm gonna keep my expectations tempered with this kid.

I think this one will take some patience, I think he comes over in 3-4 years + 1 year in the AHL. Cracks the Roster at about 22-23 years old.