The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Matt Benning, RHD and nephew to Jim, will not be qualified

The Edmonton Oilers will not be giving forward Andreas Athanasiou or defenceman Matt Benning qualifying offers, general manager Ken Holland confirmed Tuesday.

Both players will now become unrestricted free agents.

- Sportsnet

(Nephew to Canucks GM; was drafted by Boston when Jim was AGM)

Edited by Teemu Selänne

Just now, MoneypuckOverlord said:

same age as troy though, but for sure a much cheaper right handed shooter option.  It probably be a 2 way deal and doing his brother a favor. 

I would rather the Canucks bring back Troy on a UFA deal but if Benning is half the price and OEL is brought in, I could see it

Athanasiou would be an interesting project if he was cheap enough on a 1 year deal and wanted to reinvent some value.

He scored 30 goals the season before last.  He could either be tried as a 3C or as Toffoli’s (likely) vacated top six winger spot.

He provides speed and we don’t have enough of that.

I doubt we pick up Benning, even if the player is Ok, it just opens up too big of a mess with optics and in the locker room.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I doubt we pick up Benning, even if the player is Ok, it just opens up too big of a mess with optics and in the locker room.

We were hard after him when he was a free agent before. He chose Edmonton cause they pretty much guaranteed him a spot. His family ties didn't matter then. I doubt they do now.

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Athanasiou would be an interesting project if he was cheap enough on a 1 year deal and wanted to reinvent some value.

He scored 30 goals the season before last.  He could either be tried as a 3C or as Toffoli’s (likely) vacated top six winger spot.

He provides speed and we don’t have enough of that.

When I looked into Toffoli replacement options, Athanasiou was the exact guy I thought of.  Has the potential to put up similar numbers to Toffoli, but will come much cheaper.  I think he could be a target in FA once we secure OEL and our goalie position. 

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

When I looked into Toffoli replacement options, Athanasiou was the exact guy I thought of.  Has the potential to put up similar numbers to Toffoli, but will come much cheaper.  I think he could be a target in FA once we secure OEL and our goalie position. 

Would rather Duclair over Athanasiou. Whoever comes cheaper. Duclair put up 31 goals during his 87 game stint with Ottawa.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Would rather Duclair over Athanasiou. Whoever comes cheaper. Duclair put up 31 goals during his 87 game stint with Ottawa.

Oh I thought Ottawa re-signed him but I guess not.  Duclair would be good if we need a sniper but Athanasiou can play more positions if we want the versatility.  Another option may actually be Mikael Granlund.  Obviously he is a great player, but it didn't work in Nashville for whatever reason.  Granlund could be cheaper than Toffoli and potentially could be better overall.

5 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Would rather have Baertschi than either.  Costs us nothing 

Except keeping him  :bigblush:

JK... i'm in the camp that if JB can significantly improve our D (and add more offense from the backend) then we won't need to sign TT or a UFA fwd.   

If he lands OEL and resigns Tanev our D will be a force and we won't lose much by letting Baerstchi, Hoglander, Lind, or Leivo have a spot.

Louie MUST go though.

• Vintage 1