The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Ducks trade Erik Gudbranson to Senators for 2021 5th-round pick

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Why would anyone want this guy? He was one of the worst defenders I’ve ever seen play this game. He reminded me of pylon Murzyn. 

Gudbranson would have never won a fight if he reminded you of Murzyn.....because unlike Murzyn, that is one thing that Gudbranson can do quite well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, oldnews said:

Gudbranson had a pretty solid season in Anaheim.

20 minutes a game.

42.7% ozone starts was the lowest on the Ducks blueline.

49.9% corsi was quite good in that context.

9 pts and an even 0 while his 2.7 on ice goals against per 60 5on5 was 21st on the team in a metric you want to be at the bottom of....

2:09 of pk / game makes him borderline between primary and secondary penalty killer.

76 hits in 44 games is what we know of him - he is hard to play against and players avoid being vulnerable to getting hit by him - in part why he has been effective in denying controlled entries...

I like the acquisition for Ottawa - if you have the cap space, there are certainly worse ways to fill it.

You can throw whatever numbers you want oldnews. I rank this guy as one of the worst defenders in Canuck history. At least LE brought “little things”. This guy was an absolute liability every time he stepped on the ice and brought NOTHING. I lost my voice many times while cursing him through my TV!

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Sutter for a 7th rounder in 2025 I don’t care what the return is, just take the full cap hit. 

I know he might be involved in an OEL trade, but we got lots of money that could take his place

i mean if the reason he hasn’t been traded is the Canucks see value and want a decent return then they are smoking something strong 

2 minutes ago, Drop Em said:

Gudbranson would have never won a fight if he reminded you of Murzyn.....because unlike Murzyn, that is one thing that Gudbranson can do quite well.

Exactly.

Fought Tom Wilson, Matt Martin, Ryan Getzlaf, Travis Hamonic (and his skull), Zack Kassian, Tim Schaller. I'd say he did very well in most bouts. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Drop Em said:

I just reviewed a couple of his “fights”; the most recent one with Evander Kane and the one a few years back against Ryan Getzlaf. As I remembered, his fights were hardly a show. Let’s not get carried away here. A 6’7 player in Gudbranson ought to of faired way better. If he had won a fight it would be just barely

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

You can throw whatever numbers you want oldnews. I rank this guy as one of the worst defenders in Canuck history. At least LE brought “little things”. This guy was an absolute liability every time he stepped on the ice and brought NOTHING. I lost my voice many times while cursing him through my TV!

It's true indeed. The big, tough, handsome galut treated the biscuit like a F***ing grenade, whenever pressured.

I used to play a fun game when he(or Tanev) had the puck on their stick.Count 5 seconds later, & see where the puck was/situation. The stark difference was comedy/tragedy.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly.

Fought Tom Wilson, Matt Martin, Ryan Getzlaf, Travis Hamonic (and his skull), Zack Kassian, Tim Schaller. I'd say he did very well in most bouts. 

Review some of them on YouTube. His “fights” were nothing to rave about.

• Haha 1