The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Braden Holtby | #49 | G

-SN-

Thank you Mr. Holtby for the excellent performance!  Man, if he could keep it up for a while and we had two hot goalies covering our backs on all those upcoming back to backs, anything could happen.  Dare to dream... 

Go Canucks Go!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

We need him to play like that 4 or 5 more times this year.  If he does, maybe it only costs us a 2nd round pick to get Seattle to take him

Or maybe we hope they don't and just keep him...

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Or maybe we hope they don't and just keep him...

I'm torn.  If Holtby can play like the guy we expected, there is huge value there, but saving 2-2.5 million on the back up goalie role would give us money to sure up the lineup elsewhere.

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We have cap for both IMO.

Sound (and cheap) veteran players don't seem to be this management's strong suit.  Weird, as one normally expects the opposite with a GM (being unable to acquire elite players).  Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

I'm torn.  If Holtby can play like the guy we expected, there is huge value there, but saving 2-2.5 million on the back up goalie role would give us money to sure up the lineup elsewhere.

The ultimate valuation of Holtby will be made come the expansion draft. If he is a value player capable of still providing good help in the nets, then, Seattle will snap him up. If on the other hand they see him as expansive and past his prime they'll leave him, and might add make a comment on Vcr's decission to sign him in the first place

6 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

The ultimate valuation of Holtby will be made come the expansion draft. If he is a value player capable of still providing good help in the nets, then, Seattle will snap him up. If on the other hand they see him as expansive and past his prime they'll leave him, and might add make a comment on Vcr's decission to sign him in the first place

Fair, but what is the gap between them taking him or not?  does it take a 2nd?  3rd?  for the right price, I'd add value to him to open up 4.3 million in cap space.

7 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Fair, but what is the gap between them taking him or not?  does it take a 2nd?  3rd?  for the right price, I'd add value to him to open up 4.3 million in cap space.

In all honesty it would be a blessing if they took him IMO. Not meant to put Holtby down but we ... Vcr management, have far more need of Cap space than Holtby's abilities ( O/A during the season )

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Funny how small sample sizes work. With just two great games, Holtby again has his save percentage both above last year's and .900. It's a start.

You think CDC would learn with the small sample sizes... I'll just leave this here...

On 3/4/2021 at 11:32 AM, aGENT said:

Because in Canuck-land, 7 years is a long rebuild, 11 games with almost no practice time is a large sample size and enough time to completely revamp a vet goalies game etc, etc...

VANCOUVER – A trend has been detected. And we may be crazy, but this seems important.

In the three games the Vancouver Canucks have won since their COVID-19 crisis, they’ve had the better goaltending. The game they lost, the other team had the better goalie.

On Saturday, Braden Holtby outplayed the Ottawa Senators’ two-man goaltending entry of Matt Murray and Marcus Hogberg, and the Canucks won 4-2 to keep the pressure on the teams they’re chasing in the National Hockey League playoff race.

This trend, of course, has been around as long as water has been frozen for hockey.

But what’s new about the Canucks’ trend is that they now have two goalies contributing: Holtby and starter Thatcher Demko, who lost to the Senators 3-0 on Thursday through no fault of his own and rested Saturday.

Demko has been excellent most of this season. Holtby has been largely excellent for most of the last decade – but not so much this season until the Canucks went more than three weeks without playing due to a schedule break and an outbreak.

In three games since, Holtby has stopped 98 of 105 shots and gone 3-0.

“I don't want to speak for him, but ... he just looks freer to me,” coach Travis Green said. “I'm not a goalie expert by any means, but he definitely looks confident, he looks freer, things look easier for him.”

Holtby knows the Canucks are capable of winning down the stretch

After leaving the Washington Capitals for the Canucks before this season, Holtby has been trying to incorporate some technical changes under new goaltending coach Ian Clark. The transition was made more difficult by the loss of the starting job this season to Demko.

Saturday marked the first time since January that Holtby played three times in a week. His last win before the COVID-19 crisis was Feb. 17.

“It's not the reason for success or failure,” Holtby insisted of his workload. “You've just got to show up every day and be ready to play, try and win games as best you can. Obviously, this stretch here has been a little difficult to us. We've had some success by grinding it out. We've got through the nice part of our schedule so it's even more (important) that we come together and get that rhythm as a team to get everyone on board to play games.

“Rest is going to be key ... not just to play our best, but to just stay healthy and not have any long-term effects. I think it's going to take everyone to manage that. Thatch and I know that — that for us to make the playoffs, we're both going to have to find ways to win games.”

Holtby was at his best Saturday in the middle period when a tight-checking game opened up.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-keep-pressure-playoff-race-holtby-finds-game/

This really solidifies the case for Ian Clark.  Get it done!

• Vintage 1

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

What are the chances he get bought out? Challenge Dipietro as the #2? 

IMO. Dipietro is not yet ready for the Canucks... yet. If Holtby is selected by the Kraken you will most likely see a NHL level backup goalie brought in on a two to three yr term.

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

IMO. Dipietro is not yet ready for the Canucks... yet. If Holtby is selected by the Kraken you will most likely see a NHL level backup goalie brought in on a two to three yr term.

If he doesnt get selected, I would consider buying him out. I think it saves us alot of money? And sign a league mininum backup goalie 

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

What are the chances he get bought out? Challenge Dipietro as the #2? 

I'm guessing we just deal with him as backup next year probably. Dipietro probably isn't ready for full-time backup duties yet. Should be ready in 2022-23 though.

• Cheers 1