The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Braden Holtby | #49 | G

-SN-

• -SN- changed the title to Braden Holtby | #70 | G

Holtby wants to come and rebuild his game under Ian Clark. I'm ok with term and dollars as long as there is no NMC or NTC. If he is exposable to Seattle then this is perfect. This is the price point I wanted our second goalie at whether it was Markstrom or someone else

Edited by 204CanucksFan
Spelling

Anyone have any insight on what his demise has been the past few years? Seems he didnt even have that great a year when he won a cup. Did it have something to do with the style of hockey the Caps played in front of him? Is he slowing down? Will a decreased workload help him? He's only 31... Seems a bit early for him to fall off a cliff. What's the deal?

33 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

As far as I can tell Holtby started to decline as soon as Mitch Korn left Washington as goaltending coach to go to the Islanders. Which coincidentally is when the NYI goalies got a lot better very quickly. Mitch is in my opinion the second best goaltending coach in the league behind our very own Ian Clark

Good observations. 

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Isn't #70 Pearson?

He's worn #70 his entire NHL career, but wore #1 with the Hershey Bears in the AHL and with the Saksatoon Blades of the WHL during his junior days.

So I suppose either Pearson will go back to the #14 he used in Pittsburgh or Holtby will go back to the #1 of his pre-NHL days.

We have the announcement! HoltBeast will tend our net in a 1A/B set-up as... #49 in our programs!

There are questions about the significance behind it given #70 on the NHL level, and #1 in the AHL and before, including Team Canada. 

I speculate it could represent the 49th parallel we are situated at. We shall find out while sooner or later, I am sure!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1