The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Braden Holtby | #49 | G

-SN-

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm pretty certain Ian Clark will have significant input into the backup too. Might get a steal there he can work with. 

Brossoit should be our guy.

BC guy, right age, and good stats. Shouldn’t cost too much either.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Brossoit should be our guy.

BC guy, right age, and good stats. Shouldn’t cost too much either.

Mentioned this before in another thread - 100% agree - he brings everything you want from a back-up and he played well for Winnipeg

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Only generally against teams that had horrible goaltending and/or poor defense.  Holtby is an aging declining 30+ year old.  Any time your save percentage is below .900, you're mediocre.  Luongo last season before he retired, his save percentage was 0.899  (still higher than Holtby) - first time in his long career he hit that mark.

As to the issue of 'who will be the backup'.  Ain't that hard to sign a journeyman NHL vet goalie for a fraction of Holtby's cap hit.  Use the difference on signing an additional depth defenseman.  IMHO, we'd be better off overall with that option.  

I completely agree, I think this is the way forward. There's plenty of good cheap goalies out there, Brossoit might be my personal pick because I don't think Demko needs to be sheltered anymore by an old veteran. Otherwise, Halak at 36 years old is still out there (although he only managed under .500 hockey with the Bruins, his numbers were decent).

If we could sign Brossoit to a 1.5M deal 1 or 2 years even and spend the extra 2M on a defenceman (even give it to Hamonic who deserves a raise) then we'd be better on the whole defensively.

My personal favourite outcome now would be if Seattle take someone like Highmore (ideally not Lind or Gadjovic as we don't know their potential...), then we flip Holtby to Chicago for Zadorov. Essentially Holtby + Highmore for Zadorov + ED spot which isn't too bad. Then we go out and sign Brossoit for 1.5M (hopefully), try and get Hamonic on a nice 2.5-3M x 3yr deal.

Hughes - Hamonic

Zadorov - Schmidt

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi (who slowly gets worked in over the season, especially if injuries)

Demko

Brossoit

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Tweet isn't displaying for me. What did it say?

Huh seems like their channel took it down,

But Donnie and Dhali channel said "A source tells me they would be shocked if Holtby is still with Vancouver by next week".

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Like 1

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Huh seems like their channel took it down,

But Donnie and Dhali channel said "A source tells me they would be shocked if Holtby is still with Vancouver by next week".

Interesting. I find it very slim he's taken in the ED unless we swing a deal with Seattle. So I suppose if he is leaving, the following are the ways it could happen:

1. Seattle takes him in the ED (incentivized by trade, because they 'aint takin him with far better netminders available)

2. After the ED, Holtby is traded (probably with cap retention or for another expensive contract)

3. Holtby's contract is bought out

I'd place my bet on #2 if he does leave.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Interesting. I find it very slim he's taken in the ED unless we swing a deal with Seattle. So I suppose if he is leaving, the following are the ways it could happen:

1. Seattle takes him in the ED (incentivized by trade, because they 'aint takin him with far better netminders available)

2. After the ED, Holtby is traded (probably with cap retention or for another expensive contract)

3. Holtby's contract is bought out

I'd place my bet on #2 if he does leave.

I agree, the more that I keep hearing Holtby's name, I feel he will be eventually moved but any team but Seattle.

Considering that his name continues to come up seems like a good sign, teams are interested. 

100% on board with signing Brossoit. 3x1.5. No raise in a cap world (or maybe a small one), but a few year commitment for a backup is nice security for him. And as a BC boy, I think that's favorable for both sides.

Edited by kloubek
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

If they are going to buy out Holtby,

He has to go on waivers today in order to do it

Buying out Holtby would cost the Canucks $500,000 on the cap next season (for cap savings of $3.8 million), while costing the team $1.9 million on the cap in 2022-23.

Edited by Mackcanuck

12 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

If they are going to buy out Holtby,

He has to go on waivers today in order to do it

Buying out Holtby would cost the Canucks $500,000 on the cap next season (for cap savings of $3.8 million), while costing the team $1.9 million on the cap in 2022-23.

Zero chance we buy out the Holtzter.