The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers sign Tyson Barrie

Just now, dontaylorforprez said:

So do we go after petro now? Or are we going to settle with Stetcher? I guess if he’s already headed to arb, he’ll get paid one way or the other. I keep hearing about Cernak out of Tampa but I swear he resigned..

Stecher signed in Detroit my dude.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Hamonic, Vatanen, TVR are all really nice options.  There are a number of teams that will need to trade out some money in the coming weeks as well.  

Dhawiwal says they are not in on Vatanen at least to this point. Hamonic would be a solid fit IMO. I’m sure they will get someone but this is an area the Canucks needed improvement and I don’t think based on cap and whose available any significant progress will be made but I will hold out hope. At least we aren’t spending money foolishly.  A good strategy moving forward (not just this year) is only sign players who are willing to come on team friendly deals. 

Don't forget about the Seattle factor...it adds an additional negotiation factor. If a UFA doesn't want to go to Seattle eventually, and can't negotiate either a NM/NT clause in a new contract (or at least a guarantee of protection), then they just might pass on some offers by certain teams who have other priorities to protect next year.

I'm thankful that both this guy - and Krug - are off the market - so we don't have to listen to both the fluffing of people pining for these guys - and the panic that Benning might overpay for them....

Now we can get on with a cleaner playing field lol.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm thankful that both this guy - and Krug - are off the market - so we don't have to listen to both the fluffing of people pining for these guys - and the panic that Benning might overpay for them....

Now we can get on with a cleaner playing field lol.

Might be some growing pains this year but we have a great opportunity to take advantage of the expansion draft next year with only Rafferty, OJ and Myers to protect.  Might as well see what they can do in the NHL and possibly made a deal with a team unable to protect their guys.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Might be some growing pains this year but we have a great opportunity to take advantage of the expansion draft next year with only Rafferty, OJ and Myers to protect.  Might as well see what they can do in the NHL and possibly made a deal with a team unable to protect their guys.

Yes - exactly. 

Which is why I'm so keen on making a hard run at Cal Foote - Tampa can't protect him - we can - and 'we' have what they could use in these circumstances - young prospects that won't need to be exposed - so we may be able to leverage him out of there at reasonable value - particularly if we scratch their back a bit - ie a Palat/Pearson swap as part of it which inches them closer to being able to afford an RFA raise/re-signing....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Yes - exactly. 

Which is why I'm so keen on making a hard run at Cal Foote - Tampa can't protect him - we can - and 'we' have what they could use in these circumstances - young prospects that won't need to be exposed - so we may be able to leverage him out of there at reasonable value - particularly if we scratch their back a bit - ie a Palat/Pearson swap as part of it which inches them closer to being able to afford an RFA raise/re-signing....

Anaheim too with Manson, assuming they didn't sign Shattenkirk just to expose him.  Foote would be a great pickup for us too though.  Suspect most GMs have learned from Vegas and won't be making too many deals directly with Seattle.

Just now, captainhorvat said:

If we offered that to Barrie we all know he would take it over the Oilers. Since we didn’t this leads me to believe thrs something else goin on. Possibly a trade in the works to acquire a solid dman.

He did take a discount to go to the Oilers.