The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers sign Tyson Barrie

We shouldn’t have been in on this at all.  We have a low rent version of him in Rafferty that plays the same side.

We don’t have a low rent Tanev in the system.  We need a top 4 RD who can kill penalties.  We need that REALLY badly.   I can’t get over how much Tryamkin at $2 million would have been useful right now.... unless a better plan materializes.  Maybe the NHL season will be delayed enough that we can get him onto the roster 20-30 games into the year.

• Upvote 1

Good move by Barrie. I'm sure he would've loved to come home to play, but with Hughes running the first PP, I'm sure he's going to get a lot more opportunities in EDM with Klefbom out. He's going to pad his stats and get a much better deal next year.

Best news of the day so far 

10 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Keanu Reeves Matrix GIF by PeacockTV

With that said, he might actually produce in Edmonton.

Continue on his 1 year route to get an eventual payday contract.

He'll pile up points and get the bank thrown at him by someone next offseason

6 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

He is gambling on himself and as such wants to be the main guy 

he knows in Vancouver he would play second fiddle 

He was smart to go to Edmonton. He learned his lesson in Toronto, that he needs to be the main guy on the PP. 

In Toronto, he was #2. In Vancouver, he will be #2. 

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

We shouldn’t have been in on this at all.  We have a low rent version of him in Rafferty that plays the same side.

We don’t have a low rent Tanev in the system.  We need a top 4 RD who can kill penalties.  We need that REALLY badly.   I can’t get over how much Tryamkin at $2 million would have been useful right now.... unless a better plan materializes.  Maybe the NHL season will be delayed enough that we can get him onto the roster 20-30 games into the year.

Stecher could be a “low rent Tanev.” Owns the lowest GA/60 of any regular Canucks Dman the past several years, while also having one of the lowest offensive zone starts rates on the team. Stech just gets results on the defensive side of the puck. He’s quietly posted what’s been arguable the best defensive impact of any of our Dmen in recent years. And similar results on the PK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's still solid FA's available...not to mention trades.

I'd love to see us get Hamonic and Hoffman on short deals.  There isn't a lot of money kicking around out there anymore  Those two Toffoli, AA, Dadanov are all going to feel the squeeze of the cap .  We could make out real well in FA if we are patient.  There are also teams like STL, Vegas, Toronto who will be dumping solid players to make the cap work.  I like what JB has done so far, and I think his plan will all start to come into play in the next couple days.

• Cheers 2

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Stecher could be a “low rent Tanev.” Owns the lowest GA/60 of any regular Canucks Dman the past several years, while also having one of the lowest offensive zone starts rates on the team. Stech just gets results on the defensive side of the puck. He’s quietly posted what’s been arguable the best defensive impact of any of our Dmen in recent years. And similar results on the PK.

I absolutely agree... all the word is that they have completely closed the door on that.  I was in the camp that you let Tanev walk and use Stecher as Edler’s partner.  Stecher would have taken a low AAV deal if it gave him some term and he has proven ability with Edler.  He was never given an offer.

1 minute ago, brian42 said:

‪After OEL, Tanev, and Barrie.  What is plan D for the Canucks and their Defense? ‬

Hamonic, Vatanen, TVR are all really nice options.  There are a number of teams that will need to trade out some money in the coming weeks as well.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1