The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sabres sign Taylor Hall

15 hours ago, linden17 said:

Benningbros? 

Yeah because everything has to be ridiculed into oblivion these days.

If Benningbroing means to be proud of our young and rising team, which he has assembled, then I’m a very happy Benningbro.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 7:23 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

1 year 8M deals don't happen very often, I think this is a suss out deal for both teams. Seems a bit steep to me but the Sabres have it, let's see what else they do.

Well wasn’t it 10 million we paid for 40ish year old Sundin?   That was steeper and just as hilarious.   Cue the confused emojis because I don’t buy that he did squat in six months for the Sedins - other then this great piece of advice with a little effort available in google ... “ when it comes to playoffs - just play the games like they are regular season ones and you’ll do just fine “.... wow.   Should tell Motte that.   Or Horvat.  Or Demko.   Or Myers. Or QHs.  Or EP.   Sure then they’d win Art Ross trophies and walk away into the sunset.    No - when it comes to playoffs - you do NOT treat them like regular seasons games, you treat them like every single game is an elimination game and give it 200%.   Wish JV played like Motte does.   Yes I know Sundin is great and all, but that was one ridiculous contract, same with the only “advice” that after a deep dive I could find on the subject (that is the Sundin made the Sedins way better etc).

Edited by IBatch
  • Wat 1

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

Well wasn’t it 10 million we paid for 40ish year old Sundin?   That was steeper and just as hilarious.   Cue the confused emojis because I don’t buy that he did squat in six months for the Sedins - other then this great piece of advice with a little effort available in google ... “ when it comes to playoffs - just play the games like they are regular season ones and you’ll do just fine “.... wow.   Should tell Motte that.   Or Horvat.  Or Demko.   Or Myers. Or QHs.  Or EP.   Sure then they’d win Art Ross trophies and walk away into the sunset.    No - when it comes to playoffs - you do NOT treat them like regular seasons games, you treat them like every single game is an elimination game and give it 200%.   Wish JV played like Motte does.   Yes I know Sundin is great and all, but that was one ridiculous contract, same with the only “advice” that after a deep dive I could find on the subject (that is the Sundin made the Sedins way better etc).

Sundin was a ppg player in the playoffs and both the Sedins and Kesler gave him credit for helping them with their game. 10 mil for that one year seems fair and the cap hit was significantly lower since he came in halfway through the season.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AK_19 said:

Sundin was a ppg player in the playoffs and both the Sedins and Kesler gave him credit for helping them with their game. 10 mil for that one year seems fair and the cap hit was significantly lower since he came in halfway through the season.  

Yes yes I’ve heard the stories and I was there too.   Funny how nobody cares to bring up Naslund repeatedly talking about how Messier helped him with his game back in those days....  where as Sundin 50% season has gone from just that - 40ish games into some folklore that he was their reason for Art Ross/Hart trophies etc - I suppose Kelser’s Selkes are up next.    He was on the team for half a season,  and yes it was a ridiculous contract for the time.  Like Hall taking 14 million now. 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes yes I’ve heard the stories and I was there too.   Funny how nobody cares to bring up Naslund repeatedly talking about how Messier helped him with his game back in those days....  where as Sundin 50% season has gone from just that - 40ish games into some folklore that he was their reason for Art Ross/Hart trophies etc - I suppose Kelser’s Selkes are up next.    He was on the team for half a season,  and yes it was a ridiculous contract for the time.  Like Hall taking 14 million now. 

Sundin was neither a cancer in the room nor a lazy sack of **** on the ice.  He might have been overpaid, but to compare him to the biggest piece of garbage in the history of the NHL is ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Sundin was neither a cancer in the room nor a lazy sack of **** on the ice.  He might have been overpaid, but to compare him to the biggest piece of garbage in the history of the NHL is ridiculous.

No worries Heffy...Messier isn’t a fun subject I get it - and believe me I rolled my eyes when Naslund gave him credit (wanted to barf) with him helping on his leadership and his game.  But it is what it is.   The point I’m trying to make is I don’t think half a season of Sundin turned the Sedins into what they became.  I believe they would have made it on their own anyways - same as Naslund would have without Messier.   Thing is I don’t remember much being actually said about Sundin - he was here and then gone in a blip - but do remember Messier/Naslund as an ongoing thing for several years - and way, way more props from Naslund to Messier - then I ever heard the Sedins pumping Sundin’ tires.   Yet a certain part of the CDC seems to believe he was a lot more then what he was.   I’ve watched the Canucks for decades now - and always enjoy what they say after, before and during games.   Barely heard anything about Sundin in comparison.   And I’m not a fan of re-visionist history that embellishes things or doesn’t respect what actually happened. 

So if Naslund talked 5 times more about Messier helping him then Sundin comments - don’t hate on it.   Just respect it for what it was.   Sundin singed a 10 million cap hit contract - he played about half of it.   Yes he was an amazing player and I’m not trying to demean that although I think I probably did just to make a point.   I grew up with the PHI-MTL-NYI-EDM.  And love reading hockey historians views on things.    So my back gets up a lot when Sundin was a god that pushed the Sedins to the top - and Kesler too.  That’s not what happened.   Crosby was the best in the league by a country mile at that point - he got injured and the both Sedins filled the void.   Kesler was the best second line C for a 4-5 year period and no way 4 months of Sundin turned him into that.   Just look at the TO teams he played on.  Why didn’t Tucker become a top tier player?  Now that’s ridiculous. 

Sundin was great in the series vs the Blackhawks. It's not his fault that Byfuglien had a breakout playoffs and was a thorn in Luongo's side.
Back to the topic, I think the Hall signing might help Dahlin reach his potential. Wouldn't be surprised if he resigned, but then again, he doesn't seem like the most loyal guy

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Sundin was great in the series vs the Blackhawks. It's not his fault that Byfuglien had a breakout playoffs and was a thorn in Luongo's side.
Back to the topic, I think the Hall signing might help Dahlin reach his potential. Wouldn't be surprised if he resigned, but then again, he doesn't seem like the most loyal guy

I have some friends and relies that caught up with Hall a fair bit in Edmonton. In addition to being Oiler season ticket holders.

Loved his hockey. Incredibly gifted!

Really, without getting in to specifics, disliked Hall the person? 

And were surprised some of his traits and habits did not eat deeper into his hockey. Did think it was good when he left.

• Cheers 1

On 11/14/2020 at 8:35 PM, IBatch said:

I feel like you're missing the forest for the trees here and building a strawman argument that I've never heard before, that Sundin was responsible for our players Art Ross, Hart, Pearson, and Selke. Let's assume you're correct about Sundin being negligible in terms of future impact on our key forwards; he was still worth it considering it was just a one year contract. The guy put up a ppg in the playoffs and filled giant void we had in terms of a 2nd line centre (Kesler at that point was still seen as just an elite third line centre). His contract had a positive impact on our line up that year and the lack of a long term contract allowed us to have cap space to sign the Sedins, Kesler, Hamhuis,  Samuelsson, Malhotra and weaponized our cap space to be able to take on Ehrhoff for scraps. The cap management of that contract led us to the best season in Canucks history and 1 game away from a Stanley Cup. If you sign someone else with contract length (no one of value I recall signed a 1 year deal) we likely lose some pieces of our 2010-2011 team. 

Despite earning $6M per season (behind only Sergei Fedorov, Joe Sakic, Chris Gratton and Wayne Gretzky on the NHL salary chart), Messier notched just 60 points in 1997-98, 48 points in 1998-99 and 54 points in 1999-2000.

More importantly, the Canucks failed to qualify for the playoffs in any of his three seasons, finishing dead last (13th) in the Western Conference in 1997-98 and 1998-99, and 10th in 1999-2000.

I'm disappointed we couldn't do a signing like this before next year when we are in a similar situation having to sign 2 of our key players (Hughes, Pete) because of poor, lengthy contracts (Sutter, Roussel, Baertschi, Eriksson, etc.). I'd rather have Sundin on that one year contract in 08-09 than at least half a dozen of the contracts we have now. 

Back on topic, I think the Hall signing is a good one and it's unfortunate our cap problems prevented us from doing that. 

Edited by AK_19
  • Cheers 1

On 11/14/2020 at 7:35 PM, IBatch said:

yeah messier helped Naslund with the" we choked speech" , , did Naslund will the team to be successful in the playoffs? no  the  Canucks have never made it past the 2 nd round with Naslund , ...sure Sundin played 40 games  but Sundin had more of an impact in those 40 games than messier had in 3 years

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 2:33 AM, the grinder said:

yeah messier helped Naslund with the" we choked speech" , , did Naslund will the team to be successful in the playoffs? no  the  Canucks have never made it past the 2 nd round with Naslund , ...sure Sundin played 40 games  but Sundin had more of an impact in those 40 games than messier had in 3 years

That’s right.

bringing in Sundin launched the Sedins into stardom.

• Cheers 1

On 11/17/2020 at 2:59 AM, AK_19 said:

Despite earning $6M per season (behind only Sergei Fedorov, Joe Sakic, Chris Gratton and Wayne Gretzky on the NHL salary chart), Messier notched just 60 points in 1997-98, 48 points in 1998-99 and 54 points in 1999-2000.

I'd be on cloud 9 if the Canucks can sign a player that can get 50 to 60 pts per season for $6 Million today ::D

Edited by iinatcc

On 12/2/2020 at 1:56 AM, iinatcc said:

I'd be on cloud 9 if the Canucks can sign a player that can get 50 to 60 pts per season for $6 Million today ::D

Anyone want to do the math on the points we lost due to guys being traded due to that piece of garbage.  You also have to keep in mind the additional goals we gave up not only directly due to Messier's refusal to backcheck, but also due to the rest of the team being lazier due to no one calling out the lazy sack of **** who was wearing the C.  I would have suspended that worthless waste of oxygen without pay due to his misconduct on and off the ice.

Messier was a bigger disgrace to the sport than Alan Eagleson.and Mike Danton combined.  I look forward to urinating on his tombstone.

20 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Anyone want to do the math on the points we lost due to guys being traded due to that piece of garbage.  You also have to keep in mind the additional goals we gave up not only directly due to Messier's refusal to backcheck, but also due to the rest of the team being lazier due to no one calling out the lazy sack of **** who was wearing the C.  I would have suspended that worthless waste of oxygen without pay due to his misconduct on and off the ice.

Messier was a bigger disgrace to the sport than Alan Eagleson.and Mike Danton combined.  I look forward to urinating on his tombstone.

Wow, tell us how you really feel. Lol