The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

22 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Edit: he could be the Moritz Seider of this draft. Two years from now, I can see him being regarded as the best NHL affiliated prospect. Seider was also taken 6th overall. Looks like a pretty good pick for Stevie Y lol.

I really wanted us to pick Seider too. I was convinces he was the best Dman in his draft class. Ahead of Byram, Broberg of Soderdtrom. Stevie Y had to go and screw it all up for me and I ended up having to settle for Podkolzin lol.

That's just joke. Im a big fan of Podkolzin and couldn't be happier that we got him.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I really wanted us to pick Seider too. I was convinces he was the best Dman in his draft class. Ahead of Byram, Broberg of Soderdtrom. Stevie Y had to go and screw it all up for me and I ended up having to settle for Podkolzin lol.

That's just joke. Im a big fan of Podkolzin and couldn't be happier that we got him.

The Oilers very well could have taken him if the Wings didn't. I know he's someone Holland was really keying in on, so be careful with what you wish for... :lol:

11 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Russia and Canada also have some young players, but that's no surprise. Michkov and Bedard likely top two for 2023...

16-year old Matvey Michkov had 1A in game vs Finland, 2G against USA and 4G against Germany (IIHF later changed one goal to Kvochko).

In the comeback victory against USA, the Russian team was loosing 5-1 in the middle of 2nd period and huge hit by Michkov (5'10" 160) to the American forward Charlie Stramel (6'3" 216) started comeback - Russia won 7-6 in OT.

hit.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

16-year old Matvey Michkov had 1A in game vs Finland, 2G against USA and 4G against Germany (IIHF later changed one goal to Kvochko).

In the comeback victory against USA, the Russian team was loosing 5-1 in the middle of 2nd period and huge hit by Michkov (5'10" 160) to the American forward Charlie Stramel (6'3" 216) started comeback - Russia won 7-6 in OT.

hit.jpg

I'm serious about this. Let's just draft all the Russians. You're a guy who can translate stuff that you hear from the 'underground'.

Podkolzin is our start... :D

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

hit.jpg

Kid is phenomenal. His skating is some of the most dynamic I've ever seen from a prospect. Unbelievable edges. Practically Antonio Stranges level with the 10-2, but Michkov actually blends it seamlessly into a prodigal all-around game, rather than making it a Globetrotters circus trick. In almost any other draft year I'd say Michkov was a lock for first overall. Anybody think he might pose a serious challenge to Bedard for the top spot?

Edited by HighOnHockey

I have been talking to some hockey people I know. They have been involved in hockey at the scouting level for 30+ years.

I was commenting on the draft file each team has on their players, and suggested a genetic work up be included............

I want to know how big the kid is going to be. I want to know his Mom and her parents size and her brothers, and uncles

and the same for the players Dad. Kids at 17 do not always look like the mature self at 21 will be...............

I want feisty, aggressive, fast, big shot, and hits hard..............kind of player............6'1" and up 205 and up kind of genetics

It's hard to project that far ahead, but I want another Podkolzin...........I want it all!

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have been talking to some hockey people I know. They have been involved in hockey at the scouting level for 30+ years.

I was commenting on the draft file each team has on their players, and suggested a genetic work up be included............

I want to know how big the kid is going to be. I want to know his Mom and her parents size and her brothers, and uncles

and the same for the players Dad. Kids at 17 do not always look like the mature self at 21 will be...............

I want feisty, aggressive, fast, big shot, and hits hard..............kind of player............6'1" and up 205 and up kind of genetics

It's hard to project that far ahead, but I want another Podkolzin...........I want it all!

I mean Fydor Svechkov is your guy then... Paired with Podkolzin could be one of the better checking lines in the game in a few years. However I'm calling it now the guy pulling a canucks jersey on this year will be Lysell. And personally I'd be thrilled the more I watch of him the more translatable I feel his game is to the Pro's. 

I feel the pool we will have to pick from will be. Lysell, Guenther, Johnson, Svechkov and Mctavish. The big 4 D will be gone b4 we pick. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I mean Fydor Svechkov is your guy then... Paired with Podkolzin could be one of the better checking lines in the game in a few years. However I'm calling it now the guy pulling a canucks jersey on this year will be Lysell. And personally I'd be thrilled the more I watch of him the more translatable I feel his game is to the Pro's. 

I feel the pool we will have to pick from will be. Lysell, Guenther, Johnson, Svechkov and Mctavish. The big 4 D will be gone b4 we pick. 

I have had my eye on this guy for awhile. 6 ft 179 lbs

His offensive game has developed, along side his defensive game

He is moving up the Draft board........best Russian

• Cheers 1

This is the least I've watched the draft prospects in 10 years, so I could be off, but as far as our pick goes;

I'm very intrigued by Clarke. I've seen some talk about his skating being awkward, then whats the other downside; defensive play? Seems to have high IQ & skill. Would be curious what people think of that assessment. 

Also curious what people think of Guenther, is a comparison to Dylan Cozens off? Might he have more upside than Cozens? Bigger scoring winger would be a nice addition.

I also like William Eklund, maybe my research is out of date but seems like a high IQ player who's had an impressive season in a mens league. That generally bodes well. High IQ Skill player is always a nice addition, especially if he can play C or W. Is the downside here skating?

• Cheers 1

I could find reasons to get thrilled about any of those 5 guys for various reasons I have all of them relatively interchangeable in draft position. However Lysell and Svechkov IMO are the best fits. I don't want to go reaching for Morrow, Lambos, Ceulemans, Svozil, Nause, as I betcha one of them will be there in the 2nd.

Edited by hammertime

28 minutes ago, hammertime said:

your assuming we drop at lotto  and we may even be passed by devils and ducks  its probably not happening but    we might finish 30th  behind only sabres    so we might get lucky win lotto for 1st or fall to 5th   at worst we draft at 7th this yr soo we might get a stud dman  like powers or clarke   or we might get  a good forward like eklund or beniers      some players are gonna drop  my top 7 that are players i want are         hughes clarke powers beniers eklund edvinsson   raty

hughes has most upside because hes the youngest at just 17 3 days  off being in 2022 draft     hes full package  but powers and clarke are more nhl ready at moment  

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This is the least I've watched the draft prospects in 10 years, so I could be off, but as far as our pick goes;

I'm very intrigued by Clarke. I've seen some talk about his skating being awkward, then whats the other downside; defensive play? Seems to have high IQ & skill. Would be curious what people think of that assessment. 

Also curious what people think of Guenther, is a comparison to Dylan Cozens off? Might he have more upside than Cozens? Bigger scoring winger would be a nice addition.

I also like William Eklund, maybe my research is out of date but seems like a high IQ player who's had an impressive season in a mens league. That generally bodes well. High IQ Skill player is always a nice addition, especially if he can play C or W. Is the downside here skating?

I think it's extremely wishful thinking That Eklund or Clarke will fall to us. If they do Its an easy choice to make. 

Canucks will have to lose a lot of games to get into a 3-6OA position. Guenther may fall to us the people who like him reallllllly realllllllly like him though.

15 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

your assuming we drop at lotto  and we may even be passed by devils and ducks  its probably not happening but    we might finish 30th  behind only sabres    so we might get lucky win lotto for 1st or fall to 5th   at worst we draft at 7th this yr soo we might get a stud dman  like powers or clarke   or we might get  a good forward like eklund or beniers      some players are gonna drop  my top 7 that are players i want are         hughes clarke powers beniers eklund edvinsson   raty

hughes has most upside because hes the youngest at just 17 3 days  off being in 2022 draft     hes full package  but powers and clarke are more nhl ready at moment  

Raty's your man then.

I mean I think the Canucks are gonna have a really rough finish but I still dont think they will drop below a 420 P% which would put them at 9

Edited by hammertime
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Raty's your man then.

I mean I think the Canucks are gonna have a really rough finish but I still dont think they will drop below a 420 P% which would put them at 9

we play leafs x1    def loss 

oilers x 5    we might get 1 win 

flames x 4   flames are trying to catch habs they will be playing us hard 

might get 1 win 

jets x2  jets   better team 2ls 

we might get 2 wins the rest of yr    the canucks  will not be trying hard rest of yr. letting kids  get  sone experience 

your crazy if u think we are going 5-7 last 12  have u watched this team

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I think it's extremely wishful thinking That Eklund or Clarke will fall to us. If they do Its an easy choice to make. 

Canucks will have to lose a lot of games to get into a 3-6OA position. Guenther may fall to us the people who like him reallllllly realllllllly like him though.

I’m one of those “reallllllly realllllllly like him” people, when it comes to Guenther. 

If he somehow falls to us (and we haven’t won a lottery pick), I’d be really psyched.

He feels kinda like the Elias Pettersson of this year’s draft (not as a player comparison, but as far as some of the rankings—although I expect he’s much higher on most teams’ internal boards than what you see reflected in many of the public websites). If he’s picked anywhere outside the top-5, some team is getting very lucky and they’re probably going to look like geniuses on the redrafts in a few years. (Hopefully, that team is the Canucks.)

However, McKenzie (TSN) recently listed him tied for 2nd overall in his mid season rankings (which are compiled from rankings by ten NHL amateur scouts), so unfortunately, it doesn’t look like NHL teams will be sleeping on Guenther. He may very well be the first forward off the board, and gone in the top-3.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m one of those “reallllllly realllllllly like him” people, when it comes to Guenther. 

If he somehow falls to us (and we haven’t won a lottery pick), I’d be really psyched.

He feels kinda like the Elias Pettersson of this year’s draft (not as a player comparison, but as far as some of the rankings—although I expect he’s much higher on most teams’ internal boards than what you see reflected in many of the public websites). If he’s picked anywhere outside the top-5, some team is getting very lucky and they’re probably going to look like geniuses on the redrafts in a few years. (Hopefully, that team is the Canucks.)

However, McKenzie (TSN) recently listed him tied for 2nd overall in his mid season rankings (which are compiled from rankings by ten NHL amateur scouts), so unfortunately, it doesn’t look like NHL teams will be sleeping on Guenther. He may very well be the first forward off the board, and gone in the top-3.

If things continue like they are now, no one will have to fall to us. Instead, the Canucks are climbing the chart.

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

Who do you consider to be the big four?

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Luke Hughes all the way.

No question.

He still shys from physical contact. He plays exactly like quinn style wise just doesnt hit and he's 6'2. If Luke can develop the physical side of his game and throw the odd hit he could be something truly special. I don't think he is comfortable in his large frame quite yet. My concern would be.. what if he never develops the hitting. just my 2 cents tho

Edited by Rush17