The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

We're spending a lot of time on who we'd each like to pick... who do we want to avoid if we're picking a F? I'm wondering if there's any kind of pattern that says "stay away" for a top 10 for us this year?

Top 10 WHL F picks:

2014- misses: Virtanen, WHL but big hits in Reinhart and Draisaitl

2015- no WHL F's

2016 - no WHL Fs

2017- NolanPatrick, Glass, WHL big misses 

2018- no WHL Fs'

2019 - WHL - Dach and Cozens - look legit

2020 - no WHL F's 

What is it with the WHL and top 10 forwards? seems like its the odd big hit, some big disappointments and a lot of avoidance 

No sure if I understand what you are asking . But if it is Don't draft because of other players from other years I would say TRUST your scouts to put the prospects in there appropriate draft order for there teams lists . All leagues seam to go in cycles for top talented prospects . It's finding the gems and spotting the fool's gold that it is the real talent of the scouting depts. Everybody always remembers the big misses but just expects the hits . I bet fans on other sites are still screaming about passing up Pettersson and Hughes and I think Pods will be added to that list   

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Johnson just missed the cut off date for last year's draft eligibility. So, he is one of the older players available in this upcoming draft....should that play a part at all in where he gets drafted? I ask because he is 18 almost 19 and his weight is listed at 165 on their site, so with the EP comparisons is he going to have a similar issue when it comes to filling out his frame?

Absolutely it will play a small factor... that’s why I was happy (in hindsight) when we grabbed Jackson Kunz as he was one of the youngest draft eligible players.  
A year is a big difference when you’re 17 and 18 IMO, not as much once you get to 20. 

22 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Nice list of 2021 draft picks by team - Detroit has 12, Montreal 11, Buffalo 10. Vancouver 8. Also shows probability of expected NHL stars and NHL players from those picks

picks.png

Really shows how much Toronto went all in this year. Only 3 picks is pretty crazy. Montreal's 11 picks is probably the most impressive to me though considering the acquisitions they've been able to make.

After seeing how many picks Toronto, and even Edmonton, have traded away this year I'm actually feeling pretty happy with Vancouver's 8.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Nurnge said:

No sure if I understand what you are asking . But if it is Don't draft because of other players from other years I would say TRUST your scouts to put the prospects in there appropriate draft order for there teams lists . All leagues seam to go in cycles for top talented prospects . It's finding the gems and spotting the fool's gold that it is the real talent of the scouting depts. Everybody always remembers the big misses but just expects the hits . I bet fans on other sites are still screaming about passing up Pettersson and Hughes and I think Pods will be added to that list   

I guess due to my lack of experience, I'm wondering which leagues produce inferior or over-valued prospects? 

50 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

It does seem like lately the WHL has had a drop off in draft talent. A loop hole I like about selecting a euro player is that they can play in Abbotsford right away vs having to stay in junior till age 20.

Does anyone know if players who are draft eligible who played in Europe like Mason McTavish if they are allowed to play in Abbotsford starting this coming fall because he played in the Swiss league in his draft eligible playing year? Same goes for Clarke and maybe a few other guys I would assume

I believe those guys are all on loan from their base league ie. OHL, so they are technically still OHL property, and don't have true "euro" status. I agree that the euro players do have a bonus in being able to come to the AHL quicker, but most of the time they are better off staying on home soil for another year or two anyway.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess due to my lack of experience, I'm wondering which leagues produce inferior or over-valued prospects? 

Eastern Leaf's media creates mass hysteria (in Leaf Land) over all of their prospects, regardless of the league they're in.  Litttlegren was great.  Then Robertsmall.  Now it's Sandman.  The thing is these guys are all craperolla!  And that's too funny!!!  :lol:

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sorry It wasn't an meant as an insult and or maybe I misunderstand what you are asking . I just meant that what might be true one year may not be the next 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

This is a very interesting article that somewhat speaks to your question.  I'm not saying it's the 'last word' on the subject but the author makes some interesting points:

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/06/23/undervalued-leagues-nhl-draft/

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Any dark horses to look at and watch out for around our pick? I have kids like Clarke, Ceulemans, Eklund, Raty and Johnson. There’s a lot of talented prospects this year but it doesn’t scream like 2015 and 2016 for instance. You can possibly add Guenther, McTavish as well. There’s a good chance we end up with one of the kids I mentioned unless we go off the board and say we pick Wallstedt. I mean it’s not a need especially with our goalie position secured with Demko, DiPietro, Silovs but it’s the least of our needs tbh. RHD, C and wing should be our targets with our top pick

17 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

They re-signed Pearson strictly for Bo. I don't get it, but whatever makes the captain happy.  

pearson isn't just a friend of bo's. he take some of the defensive weight off bo's shoulders. he allows bo to get more involved offensively . that is why he is important to bo. he trust tha pearson will back up his rushes,  imo it was a great signing. if hoagy on that line, bo and hog will get most of the points, but pearson's defensive ability will let them be more creative. pearson and horvat are both defensively reliable.  if JT is on a line with pods, they need another strong defensive player with them. some like motte or highmore. add a swift gritty winger that is good defensively and you got 3 scoring lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Any dark horses to look at and watch out for around our pick? I have kids like Clarke, Ceulemans, Eklund, Raty and Johnson. There’s a lot of talented prospects this year but it doesn’t scream like 2015 and 2016 for instance. You can possibly add Guenther, McTavish as well. There’s a good chance we end up with one of the kids I mentioned unless we go off the board and say we pick Wallstedt. I mean it’s not a need especially with our goalie position secured with Demko, DiPietro, Silovs but it’s the least of our needs tbh. RHD, C and wing should be our targets with our top pick

some people have svechkov at around our pick. don't know much about but just watching the u18's. he is a center.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

We're spending a lot of time on who we'd each like to pick... who do we want to avoid if we're picking a F? I'm wondering if there's any kind of pattern that says "stay away" for a top 10 for us this year?

Top 10 WHL F picks:

2015- no WHL F's

2016 - no WHL Fs

2018- no WHL Fs'

2020 - no WHL F's 

What is it with the WHL and top 10 forwards? seems like its the odd big hit, some big disappointments and a lot of avoidance 

That's zero wingers out of the WHL.  Just say no to Geunther.  

1 hour ago, Nurnge said:

sorry It wasn't an meant as an insult and or maybe I misunderstand what you are asking . I just meant that what might be true one year may not be the next 

oh no offence taken, I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to the difference between leagues, I'm trying to figure that out. I'm here to learn. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's zero wingers out of the WHL.  Just say no to Geunther.  

So you've been watching WHL since before the dino's roamed (/s), what do you think the issue is, assuming there is one?

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

This is a very interesting article that somewhat speaks to your question.  I'm not saying it's the 'last word' on the subject but the author makes some interesting points:

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/06/23/undervalued-leagues-nhl-draft/

very cool, thank you thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for. We've clearly seen kids from the KHL undervalued, and Podkolzin seems to be our proof of that. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So you've been watching WHL since before the dino's roamed (/s), what do you think the issue is, assuming there is one?

Lack of farm boys?  Not too sure, but thinking (okay, guessing) the Junior A leagues have taken some of the top end skilled guys, who then go on to US college hockey.  So the WHL is a bit thinner than before, and wingers can use their superior size, strength to dominate play instead of developing their skill. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Lack of farm boys?  Not too sure, but thinking (okay, guessing) the Junior A leagues have taken some of the top end skilled guys, who then go on to US college hockey.  So the WHL is a bit thinner than before, and wingers can use their superior size, strength to dominate play instead of developing their skill. 

very good point Alf. If you're a kid from SK I can see going the college track route. Ending up with a UND degree is pretty practical. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Top 10 WHL F picks:

2015- no WHL F's

2016 - no WHL Fs

2018- no WHL Fs'

2020 - no WHL F's 

Our Western Canadian scouts have generally sucked major azz throughout the decades.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1