The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nate Schmidt | #88 | D

-AJ-

On 5/31/2021 at 3:36 AM, D-Money said:

Holy hell, what a bad take.

Schmidt played most of his minutes against the top players on the other teams. And yet, he still scored a half-point per game, and was a combined +44 in his 3 years in Vegas. He was fantastic. And his numbers in Washington in a reduced role also were impressive.

It’s possible that age and adapting to a new team/system affected his game a lot last year. But I suspect the pandemic has a lot to do with it too. He seems like a very gregarious guy, who would enjoy hanging out with him teammates. Not being able to do that all year must have weighed on him, just like it has with most other people and their friends and workmates.

Been a lot of rumors on social media the last few days about Schmidt. 

I hope he stays and remains a Canuck. But if Benning could get some draft capital and prospects back to the team, you'd have to consider it. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Some Seattle fans think that Francis could take Eriksson in the ED if they get Schmidt in a trade for a late round pick.  That works for me too  - almost $12 million off the books. 

If that's an option I'll drive Schmidt to the airport.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Some Seattle fans think that Francis could take Eriksson in the ED if they get Schmidt in a trade for a late round pick.  That works for me too  - almost $12 million off the books. 

That actually sounds like a reasonable deal for both sides. Schmidt proved to be a great guy to build an expansion team around in Vegas, so I can see why they would rather him.

The ideal situation would be for Schmidt to happily stay in Vancouver and regain his form from Vegas. But if he wants out, or there is a disconnect with the coaching, then the above scenario would be a great consolation prize.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

That could be interesting...

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Holy crap!  That would sure free up cap.

who replaces Schmidt though?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Re-up Hamonic plus add one of Larsson, Hakanpaa, Savard or Ceci.

Or trade for a Mayfield, Jensen or Manson etc.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yeah. That's the question, isn't it? We're already depleted on the back end. 

Edler might not be back, and if he is, he certainly won't be in a top four role. If he is, we're in for another troubled season. 

So if Schmidt goes, then now we're possibly looking for 2 top four dmen to fill and replace. How are we going to be doing that? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Re-up Hamonic plus add one of Larsson, Hakanpaa, Savard or Ceci.

Or trade for a Mayfield, Jensen or Manson etc.

Would depend on what those other teams would want in return right? 

What would Mayfield cost from the Islanders? 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. That's the question, isn't it? We're already depleted on the back end. 

Edler might not be back, and if he is, he certainly won't be in a top four role. If he is, we're in for another troubled season. 

So if Schmidt goes, then now we're possibly looking for 2 top four dmen to fill and replace. How are we going to be doing that? 

UFA like Larsson or Savard, plus a trade for an expansion draft candidate since we'll have an open spot if it's arranged beforehand.

If it’s an expansion draft kind of deal, then likely the trading team will want a higher pick or an ED exempt replacement in the prospect pool.  I’m thinking teams would be wanting Bone.  

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Don't know but they're bound to lose one of Mayfield or (likely) Leddy for nothing in the ED. For a team trying to win now, neither is ideal. Getting something back for one of them would be better than nothing.

That said, Mayfield is probably unlikely (he's just high on my wish list as he'd be a perfect fit). The other two are likely easier 'gets'.

Edited by aGENT

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Don't know but they're bound to lose one of Mayfield or (likely) Leddy for nothing in the ED. For a team trying to win now, neither is ideal. Getting something back for one of them would be better than nothing.

That said, Mayfield is probably unlikely (he's just high on my wish list as he'd be a perfect fit). The other two are likely easier 'gets'.

Mayfield for Juolevi, how does the Islanders say no? :bigblush:

14 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Mayfield for Juolevi, how does the Islanders say no? :bigblush:

Don't want to be giving up either Juolevi or Rathbone IMO. Both of whom have similar ceilings anyway.

It has to be cheaper than that too. The ED would depress the value. No sense paying a younger, cheaper, club controlled player, with a similar (2nd pair) ceiling. Better off just signing one of the many UFA's I listed there (or hang on to Schmidt). 

Of course, NYI's may just opt to lose Leddy and deal with that after as well.

Edited by aGENT

Just now, aGENT said:

Don't want to be giving up either Juolevi or Rathbone IMO. Both of whom have similar ceilings anyway.

It has to be cheaper than that too. The ED would depress the value. No sense paying a younger, cheaper, club controlled player, with a similar (2nd pair) ceiling. Better off just signing one of the many UFA's I listed there (or hanging on to Schmidt). 

That's true. 

The ED wasn't on my mind lol. 

With that being said, your probably right. What would you offer to the Islanders for Mayfield? 

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

That's true. 

The ED wasn't on my mind lol. 

With that being said, your probably right. What would you offer to the Islanders for Mayfield? 

Perhaps one of Jurmo/Utunen and a mid-late pick or something?

Gives them a partially developed D prospect and a lottery ticket.

Again, they likely just lose Leddy in that scenario though.

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Perhaps one of Jurmo/Utunen and a mid-late pick or something?

Gives them a partially developed D prospect and a lottery ticket.

Again, they likely just lose Leddy in that scenario though.

Probably Jurmo, and a 5th round pick is as far as I'd go, especially with the ED looming. Unless the Islanders can get something better. But if I'm a betting man, I think all the other GM's are probably trying to get players for cheap as well. 

Probably Jurmo, and a 5th round pick is as far as I'd go, especially with the ED looming. Unless the Islanders can get something better. But if I'm a betting man, I think all the other GM's are probably trying to get players for cheap as well. 

And we do have 2 5ths IIRC...

But again, if I'm NYI, I probably just lose Leddy (and his cap) and try to replace him after the ED or pay SEA to take someone else. Doesn't hurt to kick those tires though.

But Jensen/Manson are likely more available as decent options. Jensen we might get for a 5th alone +/-.

Or we just try to sign two of Hamonic, Larsson, Savard, Hakanpaa, Ceci etc.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And we do have 2 5ths IIRC...

But again, if I'm NYI, I probably just lose Leddy (and his cap) and try to replace him after the ED or pay SEA to take someone else. Doesn't hurt to kick those tires though.

But Jensen/Manson are likely more available as decent options. Jensen we might get for a 5th alone +/-.

Or we just try to sign two of Hamonic, Larsson, Savard, Hakanpaa, Ceci etc.

Would love it if we could get Hamonic and Larsson signed. 

Savard would be my third option, but nothing for over 4 million for the guy. 

Would love it if we could get Hamonic and Larsson signed. 

Savard would be my third option, but nothing for over 4 million for the guy. 

Yeah, that would be pretty stellar. I'd move out Schmidt to clear Eriksson (and their combined $11.9m) while adding Hamonic and Larsson for sure.

Hughes, Larsson

Juolevi, Hamonic

Rathbone, Myers

*Edler as 7th rotating in for the two green horns at roughly 50 games each.

Agreed on Savard, mostly because of age. Wouldn't hate seeing this kind of thing regularly though :wub: