The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nate Schmidt | #88 | D

-AJ-

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Reports from the media says yes and even Elliot Friedman mentioned something of the sort

No he didn't. He said that "maybe" the marriage didn't work out for the both of them, and there's an understanding that both sides want a break from the deal. However, Elliot was very clear that a deal might not happen at all. All of this just sounds like speculation, mixed in with some reality that Schmidt didn't play well and there's cap space.

The reports from the media should be taken with a grain of salt. They're here to sell papers, so at times, that will mean stretching the news to get people reading. Tabloids for celebrities do something similar.

Also, the Province is a tabloid.

image.png.58a32e882bd017321b06c950087475e1.png

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Ideally that would be the best case scenario but I think if a guy wants out of organization he's probably going to cause more harm than good in the locker room.

As for a bounce back season if Schmidt isn't happy in Vancouver he's likely not going to step up with the organization. Similar to Ryan O'Reilly or Taylor Hall when they were in Buffalo they needed to leave the organization for them to be able to bounce back again 

Unfortunately, when it's all said and done, we might have to accept this is another Loss in the list of Benning's moves as a GM. Unless if the later round pick Canucks gets from Schmidt ends up a steal 

The part I just don't yet understand as factual is if the player has even asked management for a trade or discussed him not being a fit here and thus assuming he wants or is getting shipped out.

Based off the one season with limited interviews and stories of how he has settled with his teammates he'd be the last guy I would again just assuming to cause any disruptions in the locker room.

One thing said earlier on this past season after there was much talk about " what is wrong with JT Miller ? " and why do some players seem to really be having an off year as in Schmidt maybe less than many expected is not alone around the League in his suggested short comings this year. Anyways the and possibly an Elliotte interview but he kind of took a step back and tried to explain the actual grind and negative and uncomfortable experiences many players were struggling with involving the covid restrictions while trying to traverse the continent and play at the highest level away from family during for some a very scary and real time. The thought was put out there that " hey, this season while judging and assessing talent sure, isn't the year to hold performance and production at 110% ".

Not to go on here, but my point is Schmidt just as any other player can have a bounce back season, could literally and honestly had a terrible year in Vancouver off the ice but maintained his professionalism. I think given where society is at now in regards to the pandemic and opportunity for normalcy in peoples lives will play a huge part in these things.

It would be extremely pre-mature to suggest acquiring a top four defenseman for a 3rd round pick going into season two with the new club and the first real potential Training Camp and life experiences with the team and his family in this city as being another loss on Benning's side of things.

Gudbranson, right idea, terrible follow through, that was a miss.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

No he didn't. He said that "maybe" the marriage didn't work out for the both of them, and there's an understanding that both sides want a break from the deal. However, Elliot was very clear that a deal might not happen at all. All of this just sounds like speculation, mixed in with some reality that Schmidt didn't play well and there's cap space.

The reports from the media should be taken with a grain of salt. They're here to sell papers, so at times, that will mean stretching the news to get people reading. Tabloids for celebrities do something similar.

Hmmm some reports suggets that there is some talks in about a trade but nothing official or film. At the very least it does point to Schmidt wanting out of Vancouver. 

Friedman didn't confirm it flat out but he does feel like there's some discussions about it. I don't have the exact quote though

Edited by iinatcc

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Format in this case refers to the physical format. It's a tabloid format whereas the Vancouver Sun is a broadsheet format.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Benning should be looking to trade Schmidt straight up for Seth Jones.  We get Jones for one year and if he doesn't resign with us, all we have ultimately lost is the 3rd round pick that he paid for Schmidt, and would be gaining a lot of cap space to sign another UFA RHD.  

Would be a great trade for us.  Wouldn’t CBJ likely get better (younger and picks) return elsewhere though?  

What about this?

Schmidt + Hogs for Jones + Jenner

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Would be a great trade for us.  Wouldn’t CBJ likely get better (younger and picks) return elsewhere though?  

What about this?

Schmidt + Hogs for Jones + Jenner

I think if they're in rebuilding mode, then they want younger players and/or picks for Jones.  Still think it may be hard to get many of those though for a player who might just be a one year rental. On the other hand, if they don't see themselves as rebuilding, then they may really like getting a more established D back for Jones, thinking that they can get more out of Schmidt than the Canucks did.  They would also know that they have him for the next several years, at a cost that is a lot lower than what Jones would be wanting/getting.

Schmidt came over to a completely useless system!   Yeahhhh Nolan!    Of course he couldn’t adapt, especially coming from Vegas.   

I have no doubt (if he’s still here) he will do much better now that we have competence in the defence coaching department. 

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, EmilyM said:

Format in this case refers to the physical format. It's a tabloid format whereas the Vancouver Sun is a broadsheet format.

It's safe to say that the sports section falls under tabloid journalism though.

I heard he might not be moved, because his value is pretty low right now. He had a poor season in VAN, and he makes almost $6, so the Canucks may want to keep him and hope he plays really well next season, maybe trade him then?

If the rumours are true and he doesn't want to play here, then I hope Benning moves him. 

New Team, new d partners , no preseason, too many games in the first 2 months and of course Covid-19.

it was a wierd season and Schmidt has a big personality that works well on a team thats winning, but doesnt work well when the team is struggling all season.

i think Schmidt is a good and needed player on this team. Canucks just have to be rolling and in the playoffs too really see his value.

• Upvote 1