The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nate Schmidt | #88 | D

-AJ-

Dismissed it as a fake when I first heard it, but here's some smoke to those 'nate schmidt wants out' rumors.

I don't prescribe to us needing to do whatever it takes to make the playoffs next year, so if that's too long of a timeline for Schmidt then we should look for other options. 

14 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Dismissed it as a fake when I first heard it, but here's some smoke to those 'nate schmidt wants out' rumors.

I don't prescribe to us needing to do whatever it takes to make the playoffs next year, so if that's too long of a timeline for Schmidt then we should look for other options. 

not surprised.

Canucks try to trade him in order to clear cap space.

• RoughGame 2

12 hours ago, DSVII said:

Drance stirring the pot

• Cheers 3

Honestly, if he hasn't actually requested out, the prudent thing to do is to stand pat with him. He had a down year. The team had a down year. It was just bad all around for multiple reasons.

New season. Team is rested. Healthy. Benning says he will improve the team.  We have fresh talent in the pipeline with solid ceilings and some new coaching. Really, the team is poised for a bounceback year and I could see him being a big part of that.

The media and fans play off each other in this market exactly as designed. All the leaked information and/or conjecture gets everyone talking and an overall negative aura sticks to the perception of this team. It's been like that for a long time, but last couple years have been exceptional. Can't blame Nate if he doesn't want to deal with that... 

• Cheers 2

Good soundbite from Friedman. Not really a trade request but the fit hasn't been great and if the Canucks can find something that works better for both sides, to move forward with that.

I really like Schmidt but wouldn't mind replacing him with more of a defensive minded RHD with the emergence of Rathbone.

Hughes - Hamonic

Rathbone - Larsson

Juolevi/Edler - Myers

Would be a solid 6. Hughes and Rathbone on each PP unit, Hamonic, Larsson, Myers, Edler and Juolevi on the PK units.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I really hope we do not trade him. I think he has more value than what he showed last year. I think Drance is fueling the fanbasee that reads his stuff. Also, from watching him yap in video's I think he is keeping quiet to let everyone get into a frenzy. If I was a player, I would totally do it.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Canucks retaining on Schmidt ain’t happening.  I could see a Trouba (2 million retained) straight up for Schmidt though.  

Trouba has an NMC and wanted to move back out East.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I could see Schmidt (50% retained) for Ryan Lindgren and a pick

Can't see Benning trading for an $8,000,000 Dman (Trouba)

Schmidt has 4 more years to his deal.  At 50% that’s a long time on the books.  

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, mll said:

Schmidt has 4 more years to his deal.  At 50% that’s a long time on the books.  

hmm, true, and 50% retained and paying Lindgren his $3 still works out to $6 - but the Canucks get a pick? :unsure:  25% retained would be much better.  Rangers have the #64 from BUF, which is the 1st pick in Round 3 (might as well be a 2nd)  That would be kind of nice.  

Edited by NUCKER67

I liked the Nutivaara suggestion from SBNation.  Plays right D and would be a natural partner for OJ.  Just turned 27 last month and has 5 seasons under his belt.  UFA after next season, and a $2. 7 million hit.  Maybe get a 2nd or 3rd round pick with him too.  What's not to like?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2