The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you do with Jake?

Rate this topic

iceman64

Ok so your JB and it's your decision what to do with shotgun Jake before Oct 28th, his salary arbitration date or after. I.E. do you wait and see, sign him and trade him OR do it before? Sign him and wait and see what kind of shape he shows up in training camp and how he performs? Would you give him a final shot on a one year show me more deal, to see if he can make top 6 or do you simply throw all the developing into the wind, use the cap elsewhere and give Hogs (ELC) a shot with Bo? Or offer him a bit less and make him a 3rd line guy IF he can pull it all together and play like a tank "consistently" Just scenario's and there are many more..

What call would you make? 

You sign him as a third line guy who can move up when needed. If he shows up ready for camp or you aren’t able to sign anyone better, give him a top 6 role.

given that he was on pace for 20 goals last year playing 3/4 the year on the 3rd or 4th line, if he has the entire year on the top two lines there’s no reason to think he couldn’t hit 25+...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

I'd like to see him get an extended (consistent) look in the top 6. But yeah, how he shows up to training camp will be really telling.

You know, I think it's just lack of maturity but I also think he got read the riot act after the run was over, the exit speech, whatever they call it, so if he shows up like previously, show him the door in a trade or for a draft pick or something, if Jake's maturity level didn't rise from last year after going through finding out what kind of shape you have to be in.. would say it all.. 

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 2

At the right price, there's no way we don't sign him.  I hope Jake has been following other bargain signings and takes a discount, e.g. $2-$2.5 (Stecher and Toffoli both signed for less than their previous cap hits which should be telling of the cap situation league-wide).  I also hope arbitrator prices him well.     

I'd also say short-term, show-me deal with time on Pete and Miller's line (their advanced stats look good together), and if he still can't produce with our top guys then we have no choice but to cut loose and trade him.  Til then we should pencil him or Gaudette in the top-6 RW.  

Edited by Phil_314

I'd first do my best to see if I can dump some salary so that I can trade for a top 6 winger at a bargain price from a cap crunched team. If the price is too steep to dump Eriksson et al, then I'll sign Jake before arbitration if it's under 3 mil for 1 year.

I'd leave it up to TG to figure it out but I like him on the first line with Miller and Petey to start the season. Give him a chance to shine and let Brock run a line with Bo. And based on what JB has been saying, Hoglander has to really suck to not make the team out of camp. That gives us pretty decent scoring lines.

I dunno, seems like a fun guy to play video games with. Maybe we can go to a bar while practicing social distancing. 

As for the hockey side, I am on the boat that you play him top 6 and just leave him there. Unleash shotgun Jake. I'd tell Jake he's gonna have a buddy for a while, introduce him to Bertuzzi.

They need to trust their young players to do other things like kill penalties.  All you have to do is look at Kassian, Grabner etc.  Would never in a million years been trusted to kill penalties here, but they figured it out elsewhere.  Jake becomes a bigger asset if he can score 15-20+ and kill penalties, he'd probably score a goal or two shorthanded to boot.  But he's a less tradeable asset being a middle six winger that doesnt do anything else.

Edited by amplified0ne
  • Upvote 1