The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Something’s gotta give (Trade deadline coming?)

Rate this topic

DeNiro

With training camps potentially just weeks away there’s currently 17 teams that are either at or over the cap.

With the uncertainty of fans being able to attend next season I can’t imagine too many teams with lots of cap are looking to spend.

So the question is how do that many teams get under the cap? Are we about to see a flurry of trades? Are the teams with cap simply going to take on a bunch of big contracts? Or is the NHL going to have to intervene and offer compliance buyouts again?

Either way if the NHL goes ahead with a January 1st start we should see a lot of activity in the next couple weeks.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Where's Wellwood said:

How many of those teams can get cap compliant by just waiving guys and running with smaller roster sizes (20-21 guys)?

I mean yea potentially quite a few could.

But playing with a smaller roster and still having no cap space is a risky game I don’t think teams wanna play.

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think there are a lot of LTIR's yet to be done as well that will affect things fairly significantly.

Well with Vancouver that’s no guarantee.

Ferland could very well show up to camp and say he’s ready to go. Then what?

• Upvote 1

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

Just looking at Cap Friendly

we have 23 players signed and are 1.5 over, which includes Ferland

Send Baertschi and Eriksson down and we are Cap compliant with a roster of 21

Not ideal, but workable

Yea you just wonder if those teams are going to all run into cap trouble halfway through the season running like that.

I think they’ve discussed being able to have extra players on the roster that don’t count against the cap until activated. I guess that is the only real solution.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Yea you just wonder if those teams are going to all run into cap trouble halfway through the season running like that.

I think they’ve discussed being able to have extra players on the roster that don’t count against the cap until activated. I guess that is the only real solution.

Yeah, also we only have 6 dmen on that CF roster.........

IMO....Ferland doesn't make it long.....poor guy!

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He would need to get cleared by medical doctors.  He can't just show up and say I'm ready to play and as soon as he gets hit he's out for 4 months.  I think the Canuck doctors are going to be going over his entire body with a fine tooth comb to make sure he doesn't even have a broken finger nail.

That said, I believe the plan is to have a larger overall roster whereby 4-5 players are technically in Vancouver but are still a part of the Utica team, so they won't count against the cap.  That way, teams can run with 20-21 guys and if someone gets hurt, there will be a replacement available immediately.  As Jan mentioned all we would need to do is technically send Eriksson and Baertschi to Utica and we would be cap compliant with 21 players.  Baertschi and Eriksson would most likely just stay in Vancouver along with 2-3 other players and they could also travel with the team if they are doing road trips.

I see this as the best case scenario outcome for the NHL to get most if not all teams cap compliant.  I don't see them agreeing to any compliance buyouts as they had a chance to negotiate that into the CBA back when the league was initially shut down and then started back up.  The only team that is REALLY screwed is the Stanley Cup champs, Tampa.  Even with a roster of 20 players they would still be millions over the cap unless they decided to trade their RFA's.  Luckily they won the Cup so they will get a mulligan for the next few years for their bad decisions.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He would need to get cleared by medical doctors.  He can't just show up and say I'm ready to play and as soon as he gets hit he's out for 4 months.  I think the Canuck doctors are going to be going over his entire body with a fine tooth comb to make sure he doesn't even have a broken finger nail.

Unfortunately you can’t put a player on LTIR because you think he’s at risk to get injured. 

Ferland has gotten medical clearance before and I’m sure he’ll get it again.

The Canucks have to be prepared as if he’s coming to camp healthy and cleared to play.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

If he can pass a physical, I don’t know...be happy!  Ferland when healthy is an asset to this team. He has been unfortunate with concussions, but a healthy Ferland is not our problem. What I would really like to see is Eriksson having a freak hacky sack injury that seperates his paycheque from the teams cap space. Maybe an allergy to equipment, or a last minute family vacay to Robidas island...if Ferland can play we should be happy, I understand the feeling that it won’t be for long, but at his  contract he is still a pretty decent player.  Just hope if that’s the way it goes that he can last longer than a game or two. 

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Unfortunately you can’t put a player on LTIR because you think he’s at risk to get injured. 

The Canucks have to be prepared as if he’s coming to camp healthy and cleared to play.

I'm pretty sure it is ultimately up to the Canuck doctors if they think he is medically cleared.  He'd have to pass a number of concussion protocols.  He can't just show up with a doctor's note like in high school saying he's good to go.  Not that any of us ever did that in high school...  ^_^

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I mean yea potentially quite a few could.

But playing with a smaller roster and still having no cap space is a risky game I don’t think teams wanna play.

Would be interesting if ARI (OEL/ Chychrun?), TB (Hedman), Vegas (Pietrangelo/ Theodore) and STL (Parayko) run their horses like half an hour per night.  Alternatively, has a decision been made regarding what happens if teams can't sign their RFA's?  Are their rights just retained but they sit out until they sign?  If that's doable maybe teams can load up on minimum cost talent (e.g. TB brings up Foote and sign another D), while just shortening the bench forward wise?  

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

its acheivable,  but it means that all injuries are going  to be 3 weeks long for LTIR or potentially running a short bench.

i haven't heard of any final rulings on the taxi squads.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I am a believer in your approach.  ie plan around the likelihood that Ferland will be here.

But as we will, at least, be starting in bubbles of some kind?  The quote / unquote roster of 21 waiving Eriksson & Baertschi is a pretty viable option.  I am also a believer there will be black aces in town, in the bubble, who won't count against the cap?  Which will resolve a 7th D man. 

It wont take long, however, before SOMEONE, is actually injured.  Ferland or otherwise?  It is rare that there are not at least two players injured. Which balloons to 4 and 7 players at times, including rookies who would have been otherwise sent down.

I am further still of the opinion we will see another RHD added to the roster. At least very worst on PTO?

As long as he does not bring a local supplier to the bubble, impacting the team?  We could sign Madison Bowey for example. He is UFA.

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That said, I believe the plan is to have a larger overall roster whereby 4-5 players are technically in Vancouver but are still a part of the Utica team, so they won't count against the cap.  That way, teams can run with 20-21 guys and if someone gets hurt, there will be a replacement available immediately.  As Jan mentioned all we would need to do is technically send Eriksson and Baertschi to Utica and we would be cap compliant with 21 players.  Baertschi and Eriksson would most likely just stay in Vancouver along with 2-3 other players and they could also travel with the team if they are doing road trips.

Why would you reward LE by allowing him to stay with the team instead of a player who can be of some use and is willing to put in an honest effort?  Let him rot in Utica where he belongs.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Why would you reward LE by allowing him to stay with the team instead of a player who can be of some use and is willing to put in an honest effort?  Let him rot in Utica where he belongs.

I guess I'm just more kind hearted than you King.  But maybe I should reconsider and physically send him to Utica instead.  I hear it's pretty cold out there this time of year...  :)

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

You can send him to minors to see if his head can take game conditions. His problem isn't getting healthy / symptom free, its staying symptom free as soon as he starts to really exert himself in game conditions. That's what's happened every time he's tried to come back.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Waivers and cap accounting would still apply - it's like a demotion to the AHL.  Chatfield, Brisebois, MacEwen might not be lineup regulars but are waiver eligible. If it's not full teams crossing the border, Canada might allow for rapid testing. Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton are the only teams with their AHL affiliate on the other side of the border.

Also  If the Canucks use LTIR they will have to account for performance bonuses in case of a recall and would need to be under the cap by the full AAV + the performance bonus still attainable.  Rathbone, Juolevi have an 850K performance bonus that needs to be covered - Podkolzin maybe too.   

Btw compliance buyout were never a serious consideration - owners and players don't want them.  Owners don't have the cash to pay for them - the financial situation looks to be even worse than projected.  Players don't want to owe even more money back to owners - compliance buyouts are part of the players share and would increase their escrow even more.  

Edited by mll