The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL season to start Jan. 13 with 56-game season

Rate this topic

When the NHL on NBC broadcast schedule was released last week, one game stood out as an oddity: Colorado at Vegas on Feb. 20. It is the network’s lone Saturday telecast before April 17. 

The next day, there’s a Philadelphia-Boston matchup that’s also a bit strange. For the Bruins, it’s their only game in six days; for the Flyers it’s their only one in five. In the travel-friendly East Division, that’s unusual.

There is a logical explanation.

According to multiple sources, the NHL is beginning its Mystery, Alaska experiment, with four teams as part of a unique two-game, two-day “Outdoor Weekend” showcase at Lake Tahoe. Edgewood Tahoe Resort, home of the popular celebrity golf tournament, is hosting these games, which will be played around the 16th, 17th and 18th holes.

It sounds dynamite, and I’m curious to see it. (Although, it feels wrong that Joe Pavelski will not be playing. He finished third at the 2018 golf event.)

The NHL, searching for something different in a season where fan involvement will be extremely limited, scouted several locations for a scenic event. Right after the Edmonton bubble, there was a trip to Lake Louise, AB — but signage limits on government property nixed that. Another option was Park City, Utah.

Fans will not be in attendance, with the number of people limited to about 400 — basically the teams’ travelling parties and whoever is needed to work. It will give television different opportunities to broadcast the games, such as drone cameras. 

It is, at this point, a one-year project, but if it works, the NHL may consider making off-beat, “natural wilderness,” picturesque locations a regular occurrence. Whatever the case, this has a chance to be a special look in a challenging season.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

So, as of this moment, only TWO Canadian teams have been given approval by either PHO's or Provincial Gov'ts to begin play for the upcoming 56 game season. 

Yep....thought they already gave their approval  but it seems they simply submitted their list of do's/don'ts.   

We should get the final answers this week.  

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yep....thought they already gave their approval  but it seems they simply submitted their list of do's/don'ts.   

We should get the final answers this week.  

Our BC officials are saying all the right words, etc., but, this thing could go boom in the night!

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm happy the Canucks aren't part of these, too much potential for stupid injuries for a Bettman side show. 

It's all about money. I've been to three of these games. The hockey part is an absolute joke.

Good thing I like beer.

• Haha 1

Teams can’t disclose positive tests during training camp but will during the season.  

Nashville is missing 7 of their regulars.

Granlund had to get a contract to get a work visa to enter the US and that can take time.  He will also have to quarantine.  Luke Kunin is already in Nashville and has been skating with teammates ahead of camp.  

How 'bout NO!   What's that song about Used to love you but it's all over now?   He's still got Canucks on the brain...hope that messes with it.  Here comes Petey...oh no!  (It's hard to switch over to enemy mode, but this helps)

image.png

Everything happens for a reason

When I lost my job in March, I was devastated.  Now that I'm at a new job and can choose my hours, I'm overjoyed!  I generally get home by about 1:00.   Will not have to miss a single game...even the 2:30 start times!  My old job meant I got home at 6 (earliest)...sometimes 7.  Sigh of relief.

Hell yeah.  

• Cheers 4