The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jalen Chatfield

With an (assumed) expanded taxi squad, we have to figure these slightly older guys are going to be the ones that stick with the club.  Some of the younger kids just badly need to play more for development and will get sent down even if they are likely better.  They can't spend a season not getting minutes.

I wouldn't be surprised if our team was carrying Sautner, Chatfield, Juolevi, Rafferty and maybe even Teves up here practicing and being rotated into the lineup while Rathbone and Woo play big minutes down in Utica (if there ends being a Utica).

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, if Tryamkin comes back, I think he'll be fighting for that #6 spot with Juolevi, but we'll see how he is and how willing he even is to be a #7 or #8. That would of course bump Chatfield down to fighting for #9 with Sautner.

Well with the Bearded Benny penciled in at #5

I cannot think of a time ever, on any team where the entire AHL roster has a shot at the 5 and 6 spot

Its going to be interesting, but it might get ugly fast if Edler and Myers go down with injuries at the same time

the only guys we have not mentioned are Brisbois and Rathbone and they are both under 191 #

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

Well with the Bearded Benny penciled in at #5

I cannot think of a time ever, on any team where the entire AHL roster has a shot at the 5 and 6 spot

Its going to be interesting, but it might get ugly fast if Edler and Myers go down with injuries at the same time

the only guys we have not mentioned are Brisbois and Rathbone and they are both under 191 #

Yeah, the flat cap seriously crushed our defensive depth with the loss of both Stecher and Fantenberg. I also have Benn at #5 for now. While I think the #6 spot is somewhat open, I pretty strongly suspect Juolevi has a good chance to win it. I would be surprised if Rafferty out-performed him and even more so if Chatfield or Sautner won it. Rathbone, I think, is probably Utica-bound for some pro experience, but he's a darkhorse.

• Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

With an (assumed) expanded taxi squad, we have to figure these slightly older guys are going to be the ones that stick with the club.  Some of the younger kids just badly need to play more for development and will get sent down even if they are likely better.  They can't spend a season not getting minutes.

I wouldn't be surprised if our team was carrying Sautner, Chatfield, Juolevi, Rafferty and maybe even Teves up here practicing and being rotated into the lineup while Rathbone and Woo play big minutes down in Utica (if there ends being a Utica).

But Green is not a "rotate then inand out " kind of coach

and if Utica doesn't happen then your theory might be flipped to having the kids on the taxi squad because there is no where else for them to practice

10 hours ago, lmm said:

4 assists in 24 AHLgames

remember how mad Green was when Benny the Hutt scored 6 points one year?

I always wonder what Jim was thinking selecting Kristoff Gunnarson  who has scored 14 points in 6 yeas

Ol Greener's gonna hate that kid

Hutton is an offensive dman He's terrible at playing in his own zone. Chatfield is more of a Tanev type defensive dman. So is Gunnarsson. 

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Benning was pretty high on Chatfield this summer.

I was pretty high on him when we signed him. I really like this guy. Can't really call him kid anymore. I think he can be a better Biega. And I honestly really like Biega as a 7 guy. Will be interesting to see if he can sneak in as a 3rd pair guy. Rooting for him.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I was pretty high on him when we signed him. I really like this guy. Can't really call him kid anymore. I think he can be a better Biega. And I honestly really like Biega as a 7 guy. Will be interesting to see if he can sneak in as a 3rd pair guy. Rooting for him.

Yeah, he's by no means 'exciting' but he does have a #6-8, solid defensive/hard minute D who can skate and play hard, ceiling.

Nothing at all wrong with that. You need those guys too.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, lmm said:

But Green is not a "rotate then inand out " kind of coach

and if Utica doesn't happen then your theory might be flipped to having the kids on the taxi squad because there is no where else for them to practice

I disagree with your premise entirely, you have no idea what kind of coach he is in these unique circumstances.  He has shown himself to be willing to give kids a chance in ways other coachs wouldn't.  Who would have started a 165lb Swedish teenager who had just come off a remarkable SHL season as a winger as a centre in the Pacific division facing off against monster sized competition?  Aside from that, he isn't going to have a choice.  Compressed schedule and injuries are going to mean that we will need lots of D.  We historically go through 11-13 different ones in a season.  Knowing that is the case and you will likely need all of them at some point, he isn't going to leave them in the press box for months at a time and then expect them to come in sharp.  Assuming we aren't unusually healthy on the back end this season, all the taxi squad guys are going to see games this year.

22 hours ago, lmm said:

4 assists in 24 AHLgames

remember how mad Green was when Benny the Hutt scored 6 points one year?

I always wonder what Jim was thinking selecting Kristoff Gunnarson  who has scored 14 points in 6 yeas

Ol Greener's gonna hate that kid

+12 for the season.  Obviously, a shut down kind of player.

22 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

yeah, being over the cap sucks, too bad louie wont retire.

but we could use the LITR $ from Ferland on a guy like... Hoffman? 

Loui hit the lotto jackpot with that big fat contract.... not his fault that he's not saying no to big fat cheques... but he could make himself more popular by donating $ to our childrens hospital for sure!!!

2 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

but we could use the LITR $ from Ferland on a guy like... Hoffman? 

Loui hit the lotto jackpot with that big fat contract.... not his fault that he's not saying no to big fat cheques... but he could make himself more popular by donating $ to our childrens hospital for sure!!!

i aint saying i would do that if i was him, but its unreal how far he fell off after that season with boston, its nuts. that first own goal is cursed lol.

• Huggy Bear 1

22 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Re the title of this thread - I am so pleased to read that Chatfield did not resign, and that he in fact re-signed. Thanks Vintage.

wooooo getting HR technical here LOL.... professional athletes don't get to resign... it's a lot more complicated to negotiate their releases from contracts! 

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

wooooo getting HR technical here LOL.... professional athletes don't get to resign... it's a lot more complicated to negotiate their releases from contracts! 

Oh, was missing practicing some grammar nazism, so I just thought I’d compliment someone for getting it right. As for resigning, that’s what some bosses do when they hire enough bad professionals athletes.

On 12/10/2020 at 8:39 AM, Provost said:

I disagree with your premise entirely, you have no idea what kind of coach he is in these unique circumstances.  He has shown himself to be willing to give kids a chance in ways other coachs wouldn't.  Who would have started a 165lb Swedish teenager who had just come off a remarkable SHL season as a winger as a centre in the Pacific division facing off against monster sized competition?  Aside from that, he isn't going to have a choice.  Compressed schedule and injuries are going to mean that we will need lots of D.  We historically go through 11-13 different ones in a season.  Knowing that is the case and you will likely need all of them at some point, he isn't going to leave them in the press box for months at a time and then expect them to come in sharp.  Assuming we aren't unusually healthy on the back end this season, all the taxi squad guys are going to see games this year.

Do you mean he will have no choice like last year when Oscar Fantemburg could not crack the line up until Dec 1, as the 7th defenseman?

or do you mean like in the Vegas series  when he made 2 changes to his roster, Demko in for an injured Markstrom and Myers back from injury for Benn, in a compressed 5 games in 7 days?

I think history shows that Green will remove some one from the line up if they poop the sheets for an extended period, or any time if your name is Jake, but other wise he is pretty set in his top 6 and 12.

I think Green was out coached in the Vegas sreies facing an experienced NHL coach, but that he also out coached Evason and Berube in the first 2 series.

I hope he learned as much as his players with that playoff run.

I think Green did some good things during the playoffs, but I also think he "hit the wall" and  ran out of ideas against DeBoer and Vegas.

The only changes I remember from 2020 playoff not caused by injury or injury return was Sutter for Gaudette with Jake (or was it MacEwen?)  drawing in as Sutter's replacement on the wing and then Gaudette in for MacEwen (youth for youth) in Aug 19 against StL. I did say Green out coached Berube.

That was 2 changes that had positive effects on 2 sreies that the Canucks won , but he ran out of magic against Vegas

Over all I would not say Green has a history of playing youth over vets.

Edited by lmm

On 12/10/2020 at 2:14 PM, Virtanen#18 said:

I'm high on Boner....as in Rathbone..... getting a boner.. I mean.... nevermind!!!!!

Come on, now. Rathbone would never make that kind of joke, would he?

regards,  G.

(would he... woody)

38 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Come on, now. Rathbone would never make that kind of joke, would he?

regards,  G.

(would he... woody)

Maybe not him but highly likely his teammates are gonna call out 'BONER" for a pass from Jack.