The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Covid changes League size (16 teams) Discussion

Rate this topic

J.I.A.H.N

Just sitting here, and started thinking about how many teams could be hit very hard financially over this Covid and recession.

Could you imagine, if the league condensed into 16 teams, could imagine the type of hockey we would be watching! 

Could you imagine, only half the Canuck players making the Canucks

Who are the 16 teams that would still be playing? Who would be the players available from the folding teams?

How would you disperse them? Who would be the 10 to 12 players from this team that would make it?

It surely would be interesting!

• Cheers 1

Sorry but no I can't imagine that at all... you'd need WW3, Alien war and multiple asteroids and the NHL and it's owners still would probably only then slip under 30-32 teams

The players are taking lower salaries. If the players still demanded full salaries then yes what you're saying is plausible

If anything it'll be half as interesting as the NHL and would cut out so many fans... again don't mean to sound like a jerk so my apologies. But that's like half the teams, half the players, half those players families and friends involved... would be beyond tragic for hockey :(

The sky is not falling. Vaccines are rolling out and 2021 will be the greatest bounce back year in the history of this glorious nation. :gocan:

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

20 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just sitting here, and started thinking about how many teams could be hit very hard financially over this Covid and recession.

Could you imagine, if the league condensed into 16 teams, could imagine the type of hockey we would be watching! 

Could you imagine, only half the Canuck players making the Canucks

Who are the 16 teams that would still be playing? Who would be the players available from the folding teams?

How would you disperse them? Who would be the 10 to 12 players from this team that would make it?

It surely would be interesting!

You go Jan!

I'm just sitting here waiting too.

The 16 teams:

Vancouver 

Calgary

Toronto 

Montreal

LA

Anaheim

San Jose

Seattle

Vegas

Chicago

Detroit

Minnesota

NYR

Boston

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh 

(Washington, St. Lou,??)

I have no idea whatsoever which players will be available from other teams.

Our Top 12:

Petey

Bo

Flow

Mills

Virt

Zee-Mack

Huggers

Schmidty

Olli

G-Raff

Demmer

Mike Tendy

This would certainly change depending on who we picked up.

Thanks for the fun Jan!

• Like 1

I always think there are too many teams in the league watering down the talent. Realistically there’s at least 5-6 teams that can get cut from the league since they don’t really generate much revenue. Sorry but I don’t want to see guys like Beagle and Sutter in the NHL. Imo they aren’t entertaining. Rather have Horvat top out as a 3rd liner in an extremely talented league.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 3

OK, I'll play along.

With half the teams gone and so many empty rinks a couple of Bazillionaires step in and set up a rival league.  Soon, with their deep pockets and fresh approach their new league gains traction.  More and more fans flock to the new league.  The remaining NHL teams start to struggle.  Players jump ship.  Eventually the NHL can't sustain operations and is bought out by the rival league, resulting in a 48 team league and the Leafs still haven't won the Cup since '67.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

If they were to totally restructure leagues, due to viruses & economics, I'd prefer they emphasize the international angle.

Cdn Div: 8-10 teams

US Div: same

Euro & Russia: perhaps 12-14 teams?

Maybe ensure all teams are at least 50% composed with players of their respective countries. Grow a little Canada Cup vibe, like old times perhaps?

Teams cross Atlantic, staying 2 or 3 wks to play all opponents..both ways. Possibly once or twice a yr.

Be cool seeing the SC Champ having claim to intl supremacy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

The teams will go to 32 in the future, but no more

Teams do need to be moved - no way Seattle should be paying 500mill and a team in the southern be a fraction of that.

The cap may stay lower for a while, hopefully they can hit a TV league out of the park

650 million.    Whoops for them.   Sure Seattle will manage just fine - but for teams like ARI and Miami it’s a little embarrassing.   Even CAR...Hartford... win a cup, go through a lengthy down period 6-8k fans a game, and have to do gimmicks to get fans back.    Yet Quebec/Nordiques have the ownership group, a state bought arena and an avid market that would fill the place.   Yes some re-arranging is required.   I see 9 teams in Canada if they are smart about it. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

If they were to totally restructure leagues, due to viruses & economics, I'd prefer they emphasize the international angle.

Cdn Div: 8-10 teams

US Div: same

Euro & Russia: perhaps 12-14 teams?

Maybe ensure all teams are at least 50% composed with players of their respective countries. Grow a little Canada Cup vibe, like old times perhaps?

Teams cross Atlantic, staying 2 or 3 wks to play all opponents..both ways. Possibly once or twice a yr.

Be cool seeing the SC Champ having claim to intl supremacy.

Don’t given Bettman any ideas ... or the league will expand to 64 teams - one the “Western Conference “ as I North America... and a new Eatern Conference in Europe/Russia.  I’m almost certain that’s his end game.    Stupid idea 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Don’t given Bettman any ideas ... or the league will expand to 64 teams - one the “Western Conference “ as I North America... and a new Eatern Conference in Europe/Russia.  I’m almost certain that’s his end game.    Stupid idea 

Subjective matter. Plenty of stupidity has been displayed in how they're run the past few decades. This shyt* league has been mostly rigged for US interests, with Cdn fans being taken to the cleaners.

Inevitably as something grows too large, it'll eventually become corrupted.

Further to my prev post, would also prefer a div 1 & 2 scenario(something similar to intl soccer). I'd cap the max number of teams the top leagues would maintain.

****LASTLY*** THIS^ is simply my preference. Not under any illusion they'll ever be adjusting their corrupted MO.

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Subjective matter. Plenty of stupidity has been displayed in how they're run the past few decades. This shyt* league has been mostly rigged for US interests, with Cdn fans being taken to the cleaners.

Inevitably as something grows too large, it'll eventually become corrupted.

Further to my prev post, would also prefer a div 1 & 2 scenario(something similar to intl soccer). I'd cap the max number of teams the top leagues would maintain.

****LASTLY*** THIS^ is simply my preference. Not under any illusion they'll ever be adjusting their corrupted MO.

-hey no worries - I’m sure you’d be happy with retraction, as I’d be.    Just that Bettman and business is about the money ... and expansion adds to the pie and the brand.   

Have to say though, both the product, talent level and as a result of the cap, the leagues best days have come and gone.   Yes the game is faster - reducing a pass and deleting the red line really opened things up.  Sure the athletes are great now too.   However if all the fourth liners were removed and half the third liners replaced with enforcers, plus hitting wasn’t toned way down, that’s the sort of hockey we used to have in the 80’s-mid 90’s.   A lot more condensed talent.  Now we have TB and maybe Vegas with a good amount of talent on one team.   Used to be three or four teams like that in each conference will plus a couple well above that.  

That’s not even my biggest beef about 32 teams.   My biggest beef is how long fans have to wait inbetween cycle’s to see playoff action, and the fact rivalries (usually caused by more games with excellent teams going hammer and tong against each other) has gone by the wayside.    With 10 or so teams a conference not many teams wouldn’t at least get to see one round.   And if they didn’t at least there was the Battle of Alberta, or the Habs and Bruins or for almost a decade the Wings and COL to look into.   

Sure now with parity each time you get to the playoffs pretty much anything can happen....kind of.  Outside of St Louis (who was actually a contender or at least a good team for years) the script is usually followed anyways.   I’d say LA too but they won twice so don’t count.   

Still love it, but it’s changed.   Go watch some Mario or Lindros highlights...or even Larry Robinson ones.    The game is faster .... better?  Well that’s debatable. 

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Teams do need to be moved - no way Seattle should be paying 500mill and a team in the southern be a fraction of that.

The cap may stay lower for a while, hopefully they can hit a TV league out of the park

Vegas paid $500 million

Seattle is paying $650 million. ( https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/04/sports/seattle-nhl-expansion-team.html. )

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Vegas paid $500 million

Seattle is paying $650 million. ( https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/04/sports/seattle-nhl-expansion-team.html. )

It's called inflation and league worth. 

9 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

-hey no worries - I’m sure you’d be happy with retraction, as I’d be.    Just that Bettman and business is about the money ... and expansion adds to the pie and the brand.   

Have to say though, both the product, talent level and as a result of the cap, the leagues best days have come and gone.   Yes the game is faster - reducing a pass and deleting the red line really opened things up.  Sure the athletes are great now too.   However if all the fourth liners were removed and half the third liners replaced with enforcers, plus hitting wasn’t toned way down, that’s the sort of hockey we used to have in the 80’s-mid 90’s.   A lot more condensed talent.  Now we have TB and maybe Vegas with a good amount of talent on one team.   Used to be three or four teams like that in each conference will plus a couple well above that.  

That’s not even my biggest beef about 32 teams.   My biggest beef is how long fans have to wait inbetween cycle’s to see playoff action, and the fact rivalries (usually caused by more games with excellent teams going hammer and tong against each other) has gone by the wayside.    With 10 or so teams a conference not many teams wouldn’t at least get to see one round.   And if they didn’t at least there was the Battle of Alberta, or the Habs and Bruins or for almost a decade the Wings and COL to look into.   

Sure now with parity each time you get to the playoffs pretty much anything can happen....kind of.  Outside of St Louis (who was actually a contender or at least a good team for years) the script is usually followed anyways.   I’d say LA too but they won twice so don’t count.   

Still love it, but it’s changed.   Go watch some Mario or Lindros highlights...or even Larry Robinson ones.    The game is faster .... better?  Well that’s debatable. 

I agree to a point - but I would suggest there being multiple angles for success - rather than just Stanley Cup or Bust (have some additional competitions outside of the league structure which wouldn’t be as prestigious as the Stanley Cup but would at least give teams something to play for and fans to get onboard with, aka something like a knockout cup etc)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

I agree to a point - but I would suggest there being multiple angles for success - rather than just Stanley Cup or Bust (have some additional competitions outside of the league structure which wouldn’t be as prestigious as the Stanley Cup but would at least give teams something to play for and fans to get onboard with, aka something like a knockout cup etc)

Not sure about a knockout cup - but do think the league was onto something with the extra round (play-ins)...it was great really.   Some upsets too - last place MTL beating PIT...with 23ish teams at least getting a round for their fans each year it would go a long way for rebuilding teams not having to wait forever to see a little playoff action, and the owners win because they could charge and create playoff atmosphere with those games.    Reduce the regular season back to 80 games, maybe even 78 if that’s what’s required to allow for at least 3 extra games on the other side of things. 

I could see the following teams fold if the revenue dried up due to COVID: Florida, Carolina, Columbus, one of either Anaheim or San Jose, Arizona and maybe Winnipeg. Seattle folds before it starts. That leaves 24 teams. The players on the defunct teams all enter an "implosion" draft. Between RFA and UFA status, the remaining players could probably be taken care of in a 10-12 round draft. 

Looking at those teams, there are some pretty good Dmen coming available. 

Of course, this is speculation. If it happened like this, I could also see a couple of players really losing out, like Erik Karlsson in San Jose. I just can't see anyone picking up that contract, especially in this scenario.

This is a little bit out of left field, but one thought I've always had is to have a league similar to the Premier League in the UK where you have the main league and then multiple leagues below that.

The AHL could be in the "lesser" leagues and a rule could be in place where only a team 2 tiers down could be a farm team. (Although, I was about to flesh it out further, but I started finding scenarios where that could be a bad idea too)

A bit of a thought exercise but an interesting one in my opinion. :)

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1