The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

It's too early to think younger adults will do fine.  We see 20 and 30s in our hospital. 

In France, it looks different from Italy. 

Also, testicular cells have receptors for the virus and the impact on male fertility is yet unknown. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/half-of-french-coronavirus-intensive-care-patients-are-under-60-2020-3

In France, more than half of coronavirus patients in intensive care are under 60, suggesting it's not just the elderly at risk

Mar 16, 2020, 10:09 AM

Well not gonna speculate but France also has a high smoking population which can affect the ability to fight the virus.

The bans are really meaning business........

Orange County California full Coronavirus lockdown. All gatherings, any size, banned.

Wed 18 Mar 2020 02:33:18 GMT

Order issued during the afternoon in California

• All public and private gatherings of any number of people, including at places of work, occurring outside a single household or living unit are prohibited. However, nothing in this Order prohibits the gathering of members of a household or living unit. 
  •  This prohibition applies to all professional, social, and community gatherings, regardless of their sponsor, that are not engaged in Essential Activities

San Fransisco enacted a "Shelter in Place" order Monday

New York City close to enacting "Shelter in Place"

Shelter in place is a near total ban on movement. Like what they did in Hubei province in China. You'd be allowed out only under limited circumstances like getting supplies or walking your dog if you maintained a 6 ft distance from everyone.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well not gonna speculate but France also has a high smoking population which can affect the ability to fight the virus.

I asked my nephew who's in grade 12, how many people do you know who vape? His answer was 'way too many'. He does not vape FWIW.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 1

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

I asked my nephew who's in grade 12, how many people do you know who vape? His answer was way too many. He does not vape FWIW.

Yea definitely a lot of vapers this day and age.

Not sure if it will have the same effect as actual smokers. 

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Switzerland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark have very high numbers of infections per 100k people.

Also amongst lowest smoking rates in the world,

Hey guys I have a question, I’m a renter and if my landlord starts getting mortgage deferrals would it be fair for me to expect to pay less rent? Already got laid off work so it seems like it’s something that should chain down the line. Maybe that’s wishful thinking. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Mortgage deferral would still leave you paying the interest in order to keep from going backwards.  Still a huge amount... difference of 1166 vs 277 in my case (yeah my mortgage is that cheap lol... benefits to living out of the lower mainland).

IF everyone is collectively as serious about this as they should be that would be a great way to make it possible for people to be a little more cautious. 

Indeed, I kind of glossed over that part, but you're right, and it will totally make a difference.

4 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Hey guys I have a question, I’m a renter and if my landlord starts getting mortgage deferrals would it be fair for me to expect to pay less rent? Already got laid off work so it seems like it’s something that should chain down the line. Maybe that’s wishful thinking. 

Totally fair to expect that..

Unfortunately don't see that happening with 90% of Landlords/Renters. +in that situation theres nobody to enforce it either 

Hopefully you're in the 10%

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

The payments are not forgiven, they're deferred. The total amount of the mortgage is still owed in full. The mortgage holder can just stop paying for 6 months and they'll tack it on to the end of the mortgage.

It would certainly aid in allowing people to stay put and isolate for a while while the virus passes.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Not necessarily less rent but deferred as well maybe, if you have a long term lease. Getting rent deferred for 6 months would mean paying double rent for the next 6 months though.. not easy.. or guarantee’d for the landlord to trust tenants to come through

Tough situations all round, depends on the type of person your landlord is as well.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

People need to realize that these are major decisions that are being made that will have lasting impacts. 

People saying “why didn’t they do it sooner” have no comprehension of the ramifications each one of these decisions will have.

Rushing into any decision right now without consulting experts can also be just as dangerous. 

I completely understand that, but every day we go on with business as usual, despite the degree of it, is a day worse and a few weeks down the road that's going to become terrifyingly tragic.

We missed our window to avoid the worst of it

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for the answers guys, I think I’m going to speak with my landlord and see if we can’t come to a mutual agreement. 

I think she actually owns this house completely so maybe she will be able to recognize how $&!#ty this is and allow me to pay even a little bit less.

3 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Not necessarily less rent but deferred as well maybe, if you have a long term lease. Getting rent deferred for 6 months would mean paying double rent for the next 6 months though.. not easy.. or guarantee’d for the landlord to trust tenants to come through

Tough situations all round, depends on the type of person your landlord is as well.

That's not going to happen, at some point in the somewhat near future they'll have no choice but to hit pause on the economy or hand out universal basic income.