The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Our entire school system needs reinvention.

No reason for kids to fall behind.

No reason to send them to a location.

Ever seen a kid on an iPad? They’ll teach you stuff you never thought possible.

Perhaps it’s time to teach parents. 

Reinvention. We need to think this through. 

And also, Saskatchewan’s plan to reopen:

Province Announces are-Open Saskatchewan Plan

We, literally, have a system used all around the world and are considered one of top school systems in the world.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

got it through the grapevine this morning that BC post-secondary will be going online for at least the fall term. The trade schools are really hooped, they're trying to figure out how to survive through next year. 

The Okanagan college course I teach has moved online permanently

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

The Okanagan college course I teach has moved online permanently

My entire last term of University was online courses. 

Loved them. 

What’s so good is it’s so adaptable. When someone wants to learn a language or an instrument, there is a good argument for online self teaching. 

I can see a very bright future for online teaching/ learning.

As for taking care of kids, well, there are millions of unemployed people. I could see instead of a whole class of students whom parents work but are too young to take care of themselves; local “nannies” whose job IS to take on students as well as keep the kid until mom and pop come come. 

By local I mean next door, next block, somewhere very close to each kid’s home.

That is immensely safer than to throw a thousand kids locked up in central air. That world may be over for quite some time...

Edited by Me_

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Loved them. 

What’s so good is it’s so adaptable. When someone wants to learn a language or an instrument, there is a good argument for online self teaching. 

It's certainly never too late, but I can honestly say that I'm a bit jealous that nothing like that was available 40 years ago when I came out of high school.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's certainly never too late, but I can honestly say that I'm a bit jealous that nothing like that was available 40 years ago when I came out of high school.

Never too late. Ever. It is perhaps the perfect time to do so in fact. For what is life if we don’t make the choice our heart demands.

6 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Loved them. 

As for taking care of kids, well, there are millions of unemployed people. I could see instead of a whole class of students whom parents work but are too young to take care of themselves; local “nannies” whose job IS to take on students as well as keep the kid until mom and pop come come. 

By local I mean next door, next block, somewhere very close to each kid’s home.

That is immensely safer than to throw a thousand kids locked up in central air. That world may be over for quite some time...

Well schools aren't daycares, were educators.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Me_ said:

Never too late. Ever. It is perhaps the perfect time to do so in fact. For what is life if we don’t make the choice our heart demands.

Never too late to learn things, for sure. I'm talking more about something that would have had a career effect.

For instance, I went back to school 10 years ago and took the Electrical Foundations course. Problem was, if I wanted to become Red Seal certified, I had to find a sponsor. Who wants a 50 year old apprentice?

Nobody.

7 minutes ago, Me_ said:

:lol:

I was in Las Vegas during the time the Canucks played the Black Hawks in 2010 NHL playoffs.  I went with my heart & lost a chunk of money betting on the Canucks.:(  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

Well.......now the real tragedy has struck.....

the Calgary Stampede has been cancelled: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/calgary-stampede-cancelled-in-2020-due-to-covid-19/ar-BB136v3b?li=AAggFp5

To help soften the blow, TSN2 will be showing repeats of Calf Roping and Chuckwagon Racing from previous years.

And for those missing their yearly allotment of rodeo clowns, CBC will be airing reruns of Jason Kenney and Andrew Scheer campaign speeches....B)

• Haha 3

New cases:  29

Total:  1,824

VCH. 755

FH  760

Island. 111
Int  156

North. 42

LTC new outbreaks:  1 (Hawthorne - Interior .. 1 case). 2 new acute care Ridge Meadows Hospital & Lions Gate Hospital.   347 cases in ltc/assisted living - 217 residents & 130 staff

10 ltc outbreaks "over/no new cases"

Mission. 78 positive inmates/staff total

Poultry farm:  29 now (1 new)

Another community outbreak:  Superior Poultry Plant, Coquitlam (2 positive cases) - ongoing investigation

New Deaths - 4 deaths - 1 FH; 3 VCH. :( / total 94 now 

Recovered 1,092

Hospitalized. 103

ICU 44

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Well schools aren't daycares, were educators.

Yes. 
Certainly there would be online teaching, online “zoom” classes and courses, one on one teaching from home, from “local child caretaker and/or certified educator” and so on.

At a certain age, they’re on their own anyways with technology, doing their homework and studies. 

A full rethinking of schooling methods that may be a bit more customized to the student than a blanket one-size fits all education derived from the Industrial Age blueprint may reveal an even grander power of the human mind.

Island cases going up now to 111.

Right after Long weekend. Coincidence? .... maybe

May long weekend we should shut ferries down to non-essential travel. I know Easter long weekend travel via ferries was very low despite news reports and social media saying otherwise. 15,000 people only which I think was 90% of normal but still those all cant be essential trips. 

Geographically we have an opportunity to shut Covid down on the island and start reopening the economy. One of the steps would be shutting down the ferries to all but essential services.

Even if it is just an experiment it would be worth trying.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

May long weekend we should shut ferries down to non-essential travel. I know Easter long weekend travel via ferries was very low despite news reports and social media saying otherwise. 15,000 people only which I think was 90% of normal but still those all cant be essential trips. 

I heard that too.

But man the Island highway was busy . I think each sailing was full but there wasn't as many sailing? 

Bikers out in big groups, people travelling up and down the rock that weekend a lot from what I saw. 

24 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Yes. 
Certainly there would be online teaching, online “zoom” classes and courses, one on one teaching from home, from “local child caretaker and/or certified educator” and so on.

At a certain age, they’re on their own anyways with technology, doing their homework and studies. 

A full rethinking of schooling methods that may be a bit more customized to the student than a blanket one-size fits all education derived from the Industrial Age blueprint may reveal an even grander power of the human mind.

I work with them all day, every day.  You are greatly over estimating 95% of the school aged population.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1