The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, coho8888 said:

Culturally though Japan is different.  I could be wrong but having visited Japan on numerous occasions I found the schoolkids there to be more disciplined and structured.  Also correct me if I'm wrong but I thought all kids in school there are required to wear masks?

I do trust Bonnie Henry but having said that, it would be a no brainer for me to require the use of masks at all schools.  Even if she feels that the risks are low, at the very least it would make the parents feel better and have more faith and buy in as to what we are trying to do.

Mandated mask use on public transit should also be done.

Not sure how long this virus will be a factor in our lives so we might as well get used to wearing masks and might as well start them young.

Yes, for sure Japan is more structured but Canada is also the land of peace, order and good government.  Here nursery and kindergarten kids do not wear masks.  At my kids school they don't wear them for PE and lunch or playing outside during a break.  Other countries like Austria abandoned mask use when they saw little spread.  Other countries like Sweden have never had masks and their schools don't spread.     I guess it hasn't been decided if kids will wear masks or not In BC?    I don't think it would be a bad idea to start out like you said.  Calm fears.

Here is video of what happens when you make masks mandatory without buy in.  This is in California.  From 17 seconds to about 4.10 you can see the gong show.   Some countries don't want people wearing masks because like in the video it becomes only a symbolic act and all the other practices are dumped.  This is the US so bit of an extreme.  But you see it here.  People not wearing them properly, touching their faces every few seconds and not observing any distancing cause they are 'safe' and reusing them again and again. 

I am not anti-mask and do wear one in certain contexts but the research on their use in real settings is pretty spotty.  Here is some data that was done back in 2015 regarding the flu

115875568_10222526342737579_8056909258747892591_n.jpg.773d6860adde379026bc06dae305862f.jpg

Edited by samurai

6 minutes ago, samurai said:

Yes, for sure Japan is more structured but Canada is also the land of peace, order and good government.  Here nursery and kindergarten kids do not wear masks.  At my kids school they don't wear them for PE and lunch or playing outside during a break.  Other countries like Austria abandoned mask use when they saw little spread.  Other countries like Sweden have never had masks and their schools don't spread.     I guess it hasn't been decided if kids will wear masks or not In BC?    I don't think it would be a bad idea to start out like you said.  Calm fears.

Here is video of what happens when you make masks mandatory without buy in.  This is in California.  From 17 seconds to about 4.10 you can see the gong show.   Some countries don't want people wearing masks because like in the video it becomes only a symbolic act and all the other practices are dumped.  This is the US so bit of an extreme.  But you see it here.  People not wearing them properly, touching their faces every few seconds and not observing any distancing cause they are 'safe' and reusing them again and again. 

I am not anti-mask and do wear one in certain contexts but the research on their use in real settings is pretty spotty.  Here is some data that was done back in 2018 regarding the flu

115875568_10222526342737579_8056909258747892591_n.jpg.773d6860adde379026bc06dae305862f.jpg

Thanks for the info.  Yes I think that's why our local heath authorities are a bit reluctant to make it mandatory unless we have a more dire situation.  I'd like to think we are better than that though.  I think its more to do with the possible defiance and violence that we see down south towards this.  I do believe its better than not wearing one at all as anything that prevents viral spray from spreading is a good thing.  

1 hour ago, stawns said:

reaching leonardo dicaprio GIF

That's quite a reach.  He went to a rally in an area hit hard by the virus.  There was no social distancing, no masks and he tested positive within days.  He was hospitalized two weeks later and died yesterday. 

Pretty safe to say the virus got him

If a 20 something year old with AIDS gets the coronavirus and dies, do you simply ignore one virus and fixate on the other? If so you are being myopic for whatever reason, perhaps the same one as the poster I quoted. 

46 minutes ago, samurai said:

Yes, for sure Japan is more structured but Canada is also the land of peace, order and good government.  Here nursery and kindergarten kids do not wear masks.  At my kids school they don't wear them for PE and lunch or playing outside during a break.  Other countries like Austria abandoned mask use when they saw little spread.  Other countries like Sweden have never had masks and their schools don't spread.     I guess it ha

Yah kids rarely get covid......  wow......  I can't believe some of stuff i read here.....

from yesterday in montreal

At least 27 people connected to a day camp in Boucherville have contracted COVID-19, public health authorities said Wednesday.

Sara-Eve Tremblay, a spokesperson for the health authority for the Montérégie Sud region, said the outbreak began on July 20 at Les Ateliers de Charlot l’escargot day camp. The camp has been ordered to close until at least Aug. 7.

The outbreak follows smaller ones reported at camps in the Montérégie area, in Gatineau and at a hockey camp in Montreal’s Notre-Dame-de-Grâce sector.

“What is worrying is that we can see now how difficult it will be to manage this in schools this coming fall,” Roy told the Montreal Gazette. “The more cases that we have of the virus in circulation, the more difficult it will be for kids to have continuous access to school.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/at-least-27-test-people-positive-for-covid-19-at-boucherville-day-camp

Edited by kingofsurrey

12 minutes ago, Toews said:

If a 20 something year old with AIDS gets the coronavirus and dies, do you simply ignore one virus and fixate on the other? If so you are being myopic for whatever reason, perhaps the same one as the poster I quoted. 

Cain didn't die of liver cancer like that poster claimed. ( claimed and never provided a source, which is weak)  He died of covid.

He once had cancer so he was in high risk category but again, cause of death was not liver cancer. You replied with 'maybe' at that posters false claim that is was.

I get what you are pointing out but nobody is debating that he was high risk. It is so sad that he didn't consider his own frailty when going to the 'masks optional' rally.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah kids rarely get covid......  wow......  I can't believe some of stuff i read here.....

from yesterday in montreal

At least 27 people connected to a day camp in Boucherville have contracted COVID-19, public health authorities said Wednesday.

Sara-Eve Tremblay, a spokesperson for the health authority for the Montérégie Sud region, said the outbreak began on July 20 at Les Ateliers de Charlot l’escargot day camp. The camp has been ordered to close until at least Aug. 7.

The outbreak follows smaller ones reported at camps in the Montérégie area, in Gatineau and at a hockey camp in Montreal’s Notre-Dame-de-Grâce sector.

“What is worrying is that we can see now how difficult it will be to manage this in schools this coming fall,” Roy told the Montreal Gazette. “The more cases that we have of the virus in circulation, the more difficult it will be for kids to have continuous access to school.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/at-least-27-test-people-positive-for-covid-19-at-boucherville-day-camp

I would have included this in the quote from the article as well.

Roy said her association is surveying the situation and is consoled that for the moment, the numbers of COVID-19 cases appear to be plateauing.

She said the number of cases in day camps so far is not alarming, but she is urging camps, and those who work at them, to be more careful and adhere to public health guidelines, otherwise it could adversely affect the reopening of schools.

The Quebec Association of Pediatricians sounded the alarm in May about long-term harm that could come from a long-term interruption in schooling.

On Wednesday, Roy said those who are already delayed will likely fall further behind after a long period without formal education. Schools are also a good resource for children who are malnourished and can provide resources for those who come from violent households

23 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Cain didn't die of liver cancer like that poster claimed. ( claimed and never provided a source, which is weak)  He died of covid.

He once had cancer so he was in high risk category but again, cause of death was not liver cancer. You replied with 'maybe' at that posters false claim that is was.

I get what you are pointing out but nobody is debating that he was high risk. It is so sad that he didn't consider his own frailty when going to the 'masks optional' rally.

It is my opinion that fixating on the cause of death doesn't exactly give you the entire context. Perhaps this topic hits me too close to home for me, I will just say it is my firm belief that cancer should never be a footnote. 

Edited by Toews
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Toews said:

It is my opinion that fixating on the cause of death doesn't exactly give you the entire context. Perhaps this topic hits me too close to home for me, I will just say it is my firm belief that cancer should never be a footnote. 

I hear you. My Aunt is fighting it right now. It's a scary time for the fam. We lost her little bro too, my Dad, to ALS 7 years ago. F' these diseases. 

I think I just didn't like that poster obviously deflecting that this was a covid death. He posted and didn't follow up so I assume he is just a troll.

Lots of old people, as we know, have compromised immune systems. All the more reason to be careful with covid.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Here's another angle.   How many people will get a flu shot this year who normally don't?  Especially for those who can't afford to be off sick because their flu symptoms may trigger COVID quarantine protocols. 

I know some years that the flu shot isn't as effective because they incorrectly assumed the wrong strains, but it still provides some protection. 

I think I have only missed 2 or 3 flu shots in the last 15 years.  Had the flu so bad once when I was a kid my parents made me get it and the rare time I would get something it was much more mild.  I will get mine again as soon as its released this fall.

Horgan invited all of Alberta to come to BC this summer.....

DR. B doesn't support mandatory masks on BC transit or in crowded  highschool classrooms with poor ventilation. 

Glory holes and open strip bars instead are the plans of the BC government.....

One of the lowest funded provinces in Canada  in terms of funding per student in our schools. 

Such weak leadership in this province.   Some times i feel like i live in Alabama ... or Florida. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

DR. B doesn't support mandatory masks on BC transit or in crowded  highschool classrooms with poor ventilation. 

Glory holes and open strip bars instead are the plans of the BC government.....

One of the lowest funded provinces in Canada  in terms of funding per student in our schools. 

Such weak leadership in this province.   Some times i feel like i live in Alabama ... or Florida. 

tom hanks alabama GIF

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, stawns said:

reaching leonardo dicaprio GIF

That's quite a reach.  He went to a rally in an area hit hard by the virus.  There was no social distancing, no masks and he tested positive within days.  He was hospitalized two weeks later and died yesterday. 

Pretty safe to say the virus got him

OMG my brother and I had this debate as he's wanting to ease up "because".

Would they have died at this point in time because of their underlying conditions?  Nope.  They died because they contracted covid WHILE they had other conditions.

17 hours ago, Toews said:

I meant he is a stage IV cancer survivor and considering his advanced age, that to me definitely puts him in the high risk category. If your immune system is seriously compromised, that is still playing a part in your death even though COVID ends up being the final blow. 

Would he have just dropped dead at this point if we didn't contract COVID?  No.

So Covid killed him.

My Dad is a stage 4 colon cancer survivor older than Cain and (knock on wood) doing just fine.  If he gets covid he likely won't be....see the connection?

Covid kills these people...let's not pretend for convenience sake.   Be safe and think of other people....it will kill some and if we can help prevent that we should.  It's actually not that hard...keep your distance and wear a mask.  So people don't die who maybe do have compromised immune systems.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Glory holes and open strip bars instead are the plans of the BC government.....

Ok. 

Florida:

461,000 cases of covid

6,585 deaths.

BC:

3,591 cases

193 deaths

BC has half the number of cases of Covid as Florida has deaths. 

I also didn't hear the leadership telling everyone go out into the parks and beaches and act like nothing is wrong. 

I get you want tougher polices. Just be thankful Christy Clark wasn't still in charge. Then we'd probably be like Florida. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Seeing about 20% of the passengers wearing masks over the last week. Social distancing is non existent for about 1/3 of the folk without masks.

Should mention the ship is running with a full car deck and normal summer passenger counts now.

12 minutes ago, gurn said:

Seeing about 20% of the passengers wearing masks over the last week. Social distancing is non existent for about 1/3 of the folk without masks.

Should mention the ship is running with a full car deck and normal summer passenger counts now.

You're allowed to slew foot anyone not social distancing.  Hey I don't make the rules (but I made this one).

It's really disheartening that some (many?) people have gone full holiday mode and have abandoned all common sense.  It doesn't really take much effort to do a few simple things to keep this contained.  

Campers gone wild.

These people likely don't even care about hockey either so they're already a little intelligence compromised.  The ferry should re route and drop them off at a deserted little island somewhere off the coast.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, gurn said:

Weekdays wasn't so bad.  I just came back from Campbell River on Wednesday.  Ferry was full but most stayed in their Cars.  The ones that went up to the lounges i'd say 70% were wearing masks.  Masks were required where we were buying our food.  In Campbell river itself, very few people wore masks.  My fishing buddy and I wore masks when we were in the car (even though I consider him part of my bubble).  I was actually satisfied with how the ferry handled things.  Seemed to be better than taking public transit.  I must add though that when people found a place to sit, they did take off their masks.  Only used them while walking around or in the cafeteria area.

Edited by coho8888