The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

To suggest you can somehow "ward off" COVID through healthy lifestyle is false.

COVID is a virus that spreads in droplets that adhere to mucous membranes in the mouth, nose, and even eyes.  So unless you cover those entranceways, all the good nutrition in the world won't stop it from getting in...social distancing and masks will help in that though.

Once COVID enters the body, it's only then that your immune system will kick in/matter.  And it isn't foolproof....fit people die too.  So it is dangerous misinformation.

Critically learning from each other is also dangerous....we defeat this by listening to the scientists and health experts who suggest a vaccine is the best way to tackle this.

Covid can be deadly to anyone....that's what we know.

Once again, never said a strong immune system will prevent COVID, though maybe it's possible, no one knows at this point.

I said I trust my immune system to defeat it.

That's unfortunate that you don't like to hear different ideas and perspectives, labelling them dangerous.

Did you know there are doctors out there that have said this strategy involving lockdowns and masks are not effective? They unusually get censored.

So are we listening to the scientists and health experts, or only the ones with the ideas that are allowed?

5 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Picture myself stuck in isolation, feeling suicidal because I can't go out or see my family or friends? Yeah it sounds miserable.

Maybe lockdowns aren't the answer? Oh sorry, I'm not allowed to question that. Never mind.

You're allowed to question anything my friend. Remember people might have answers though. 

For example, I'm questioning the threat to children in schools even though the BC leadership and experts are saying it's all good. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Picture myself stuck in isolation, feeling suicidal because I can't go out or see my family or friends? Yeah it sounds miserable.

Maybe lockdowns aren't the answer? Oh sorry, I'm not allowed to question that. Never mind.

how can you live next door to the US and even think something so ridiculous?  

Mental health issues can be treated, covid cannot and you can't spread mental health issues just by being around other people.  Other peoples lives literally depend on you not being a colossal dick

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Just as in physical "strength", there are things available to help build mental "strength" as well.  Not to overcome serious chemical imbalances or replace things like therapy and doctor assisted treatment for conditions that require them...but in helping prevent depression that comes with isolation.   There are great online courses/groups for anxiety, depression, stress.  Mindfulness, meditation, yoga, relaxation....coping techniques that are great tools.  It's not just the body to focus on...the mind can be "worked on" too.

Part of that is changing that mindset:  just as you would in fitness with a "just do it" attitude....when you're stuck in isolation and feeling empty you can focus on the positive.   Rather than have the imprint on your brain that "I can't"...you focus on the things "you can" do.  Being "stuck at home"  even PROVIDES opportunity to focus on self, with no distractions.  I am getting more fit through the forced actions of limiting social and other outings...this extra time is beneficial in being able to exercise and prepare good meals for myself.  My life before COVID was hectic HELL.  Get up, rush to work, work until dark, grab something to eat on the way home because I was exhausted,  get in at 7-8 (again, tired as hell), watch TV then crash.

Life is what you make it.  

We can "see" people through video chats and other measures.  Walks outside are encouraged.  So your negative spin is just that.  Sure, we have to modify our lives at the moment but that's a good asset...to be adaptable.  Body strength is only one kind of "strength" and we can work through this thing with a number of helpful strategies....yours being ONE of them.  But not THE only way.

Lockdowns are temporary and it's important to remind ourselves there will be light at the end of the tunnel.  It's not forever.  Death, however, is.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You are "hinting" at prevention here. 

"Getting sick" is different than "recovering from illness" or the ability to fight illness.  Yes, you can boost your odds in that but I wouldn't count on that, alone, being enough.  Or sharing that it is.

And there are a lot of "I" and "me" statements which is likely why you aren't getting the message.  It's about how we protect others, too.

Yeah I'm just looking out for myself when I advocate that people should celebrate a healthy lifestyle and build their immune system.

Very dangerous misinformation.

We should simply stay locked down until everyone is vaccinated with a rushed vaccine, killing all small business, and risking a global depression

That's definitely the best strategy here, there's definitely no other way to handle this without looking out only for myself.

• Wat 2

Just now, Tystick said:

Yeah I'm just looking out for myself when I advocate that people should celebrate a healthy lifestyle and build their immune system.

We should simply stay locked down until everyone is vaccinated with a rushed vaccine, killing all small business, and risking a global depression

That's definitely the best strategy here, there's definitely no other way to handle this without looking out only for myself.

ok, I'll bite and stay open minded, can you provide some credible scientific sources to back that up?

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Quit making this all or nothing in a dramatic fashion.

The best strategy is:  listen to the experts and follow the guidelines WHILE taking care of self and boosting our immune systems as much as possible.  Not just the latter.

We're not locked down.  And in the event we are, it's a short term thing.  Yes...businesses will be killed....so will people.  Sadly.

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Just as in physical "strength", there are things available to help build mental "strength" as well.  Not to overcome serious chemical imbalance or things that require therapy and doctor assisted treatment...but in helping prevent depression that comes with isolation.

Part of that is changing that mindset:  just as you would in fitness with a "just do it" attitude....when you're stuck in isolation and feeling empty you can focus on the positive.   Rather than have the imprint on your brain that "I can't"...you focus on the things "you can" do.  Being "stuck at home"  even PROVIDES opportunity to focus on self, with no distractions.  I am getting more fit through the forced actions of limiting social and other outings...this extra time is beneficial in being able to exercise and prepare good meals for myself.  My life before COVID was hectic HELL.  Get up, rush to work, work until dark, grab something to eat on the way home because I was exhausted,  get in at 7-8 (again, tired as hell), watch TV then crash.

Life is what you make it.  

We can "see" people through video chats and other measures.  Walks outside are encouraged.  So your negative spin is just that.  Sure, we have to modify our lives at the moment but that's a good asset...to be adaptable.  Body strength is only one kind of "strength" and we can work through this thing with a number of helpful strategies....yours being ONE of them.  But not THE only way.

Lockdowns are temporary and it's important to remind ourselves there will be light at the end of the tunnel.  It's not forever.  Death, however, is.

How many more lockdowns? I don't think anyone knows, because it looks like we're going to experience a spike every winter season.

I was primarily talking about seniors in care homes who are feeling suicidal because not only are they in a care home, but now they can't go out or see family and friends.

I care about that, because the answer to that would be removing the lockdown, and all I'm saying is maybe there's better way to handle this, but those ideas are either censored or labelled dangerous misinformation, and I get called selfish by the experts on here. All I'm calling for is a larger discussion, but apparently that's frowned upon.

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

picture your grandmother, alone in a hospital room drowning in her own fluids, with no contact with any loved ones all because some guy standing beside her figured his immune system was strong enough to fight it off, so why wear a mask, why social distance?

OK, now for a real scenario. Imagine not being able to visit your otherwise “spry” grandmother when she decides to kill herself rather than be locked down again. 
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/health/2020/11/19/1_5197140.html

I get the need to protect people, but there is a point where it’s going to far. I for one would rather accept some risk (not fighting over masks, sanitizing etc) close some non essential things as needed but will fight for my right to see my family. Too far in either direction is simply wrong. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

how can you live next door to the US and even think something so ridiculous?  

Mental health issues can be treated, covid cannot and you can't spread mental health issues just by being around other people.  Other peoples lives literally depend on you not being a colossal dick

I'm a colossal dick? How kind of you.

Mental health issues can be treated? Is that why depression and anxiety are rampant and a problem within everyone's life?

I didn't realize these issues were so incredibly easy to treat. I'm sure those seniors will be fine then. 

I'm so glad I have experts like you to make ridiculous claims and attack me, it's so reassuring.

Edited by Tystick

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

picture your grandmother, alone in a hospital room drowning in her own fluids, with no contact with any loved ones all because some guy standing beside her figured his immune system was strong enough to fight it off, so why wear a mask, why social distance?

What a great way to frame things for those seniors.

Sorry seniors, you're going to have to stay in isolation with no human contact, we'll treat your suicidal feelings eventually, because otherwise you're going to 100% get a violent pneumonic reaction and die.

Make sure you watch lots of CNN, never question what you are told, and DON'T work towards strengthening your immune system, that's dangerous misinformation.

Okay I think I got it guys. Makes sense.

• Wat 2

48 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

So you're saying putting kids at risk is not a new thing?

But again, even Chicken Pox did not achieve naturally occurring herd immunity. 

Not really “putting children at risk”, more like trying to get their kids to catch chickenpox when the danger to them was minimal instead of in adulthood.  It was almost a vaccination technique before there was a vaccine.  And you’re right, it didn’t achieve herd immunity for the entire population, but did reduce the risk to the population as a whole.   

Obviously it’s not a comparable to Covid, as it’s a brand new disease with a much higher mortality rate and none of the population immune to it.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

No, you're being called out for claims that are untrue.  Everyone here is open to "sharing information" and ideas, even if we don't agree on them.

It's dangerous to state things like:

You're making statements like they're fact but they're your...guesses opinion only.

You are capable of contracting COVID and passing it to others...no matter HOW healthy/fit you are.  And we all should be protecting not only self, but each other by taking the necessary precautions as laid out.  

What seniors homes did you conduct your survey in, I'm curious?   

Yes, it's horrible and some people will become depressed.  And, for some, even suicidal....it's a worldwide pandemic and there's not avoiding the seriousness in that.  Even if you feel that by ignoring it somehow we will.

So from what I've read, the vaccine potentially has a 70-95% efficacy rate, my point was my odds of immunity are still better if I catch it (according to the stats).
Building immunity means your body has defeated the virus and you can't get the same strain again. That's consistent with viral infections. How is that wrong?
I trust that I will defeat it since it is very much like a bad flu, with a potential loss of taste and smell. Look up covid19 testimonials.

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

No, you're being called out for claims that are untrue.  Everyone here is open to "sharing information" and ideas, even if we don't agree on them.

It's dangerous to state things like:

You're making statements like they're fact but they're your...guesses opinion only.

You are capable of contracting COVID and passing it to others...no matter HOW healthy/fit you are.  And we all should be protecting not only self, but each other by taking the necessary precautions as laid out.  

What seniors homes did you conduct your survey in, I'm curious?   

Yes, it's horrible and some people will become depressed.  And, for some, even suicidal....it's a worldwide pandemic and there's no avoiding the seriousness and sadness in that.  Even if you feel that by ignoring it somehow we will.  That's called burying your head in the sand.

I can’t help but think his head is elsewhere. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Tystick said:

So from what I've read, the vaccine potentially has a 70-95% efficacy rate, my point was my odds of immunity are still better if I catch it (according to the stats).
Building immunity means your body has defeated the virus and you can't get the same strain again. That's consistent with viral infections. How is that wrong?
I trust that I will defeat it since it is very much like a bad flu, with a potential loss of taste and smell. Look up covid19 testimonials.

From the CDC (lol not this one):

Cases of reinfection with COVID-19 have been reported

• Cheers 1