The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd even be somewhat ok with it if there was some sort of mandatory/enforced/guaranteed quarantine for 14 days. But how many of these idiots do you think will actually do that....:wacko:

I don't have a lot of trust in the average person these days, I'll leave it at that.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Great, just what we need. Adding more students to already over-populated classrooms... 

BC schools are mostly about the $$$$$$.  - safety of students and workers .... not so much. 

One message i hope the pandemic has taught us all... is you get what you pay for...

If you want safe Care Homes for senions and  safe schools for our kids....  then we need to be prepared to pay for it.

Quality care/ education is an investment.  I think it is a good investment. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 2

So...we have:

Police refusing to put on a mask and ticketing people who complain about it. 
Published ads looking to attract snowbirds (totally legal)

Schools not only open but looking for housing for extra non-local students (apparently also legal)

Constant changes to rules that make no sense - eg now grandparents can visit at Christmas if they give critical care...who determines this?  It’s a random exemption for some people to skirt the rules. 

Are people starting to see that there is no plan?  The government is going to give every family $1000.00 for the holidays. Do you know where that comes from?  Do you know how they plan on paying back the hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars being borrowed. I’ll give you a hint...it’s not by taxing the rich. Your taxes are going to go up, way up. Your paycheque will go down and everything will get more expensive as the wealthy increase prices to offset any losses they incur. Covid is not a hoax, wear a mask but keep your eyes open. The rules do not apply equally. If the only punishment for a crime is a fine then the law only applies to the lower classes. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Great, just what we need. Adding more students to already over-populated classrooms... 

Yah, but Nanaimo is giving their international incoming students...  some kind of a manual that states how to safe during covid....

Now that sounds like a well thought out plan.. right ?   Recruit foreign students to mix with BC students during a pandemic ????  

Yet i can't see my mom and my brother xmas day for a couple of hours social distancing in her basement.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

So...we have:

Police refusing to put on a mask and ticketing people who complain about it. 
Published ads looking to attract snowbirds (totally legal)

Schools not only open but looking for housing for extra non-local students (apparently also legal)

Constant changes to rules that make no sense - eg now grandparents can visit at Christmas if they give critical care...who determines this?  It’s a random exemption for some people to skirt the rules. 

Are people starting to see that there is no plan?  The government is going to give every family $1000.00 for the holidays. Do you know where that comes from?  Do you know how they plan on paying back the hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars being borrowed. I’ll give you a hint...it’s not by taxing the rich. Your taxes are going to go up, way up. Your paycheque will go down and everything will get more expensive as the wealthy increase prices to offset any losses they incur. Covid is not a hoax, wear a mask but keep your eyes open. The rules do not apply equally. If the only punishment for a crime is a fine then the law only applies to the lower classes. 

Doubtful

• Cheers 1

Horgan/DR B's   spin machine.......

Families spending time together to stay happy   =.  WAY to dangerous - FINE THEM - shut them down.  Covid super spreaders.

Business's that collect revenue for BC government                        = keep them open at any cost -  covid can't spread in business / schools / transit

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah, but Nanaimo is giving their international incoming students...  some kind of a manual that states how to safe during covid....

Now that sounds like a well thought out plan.. right ?   Recruit foreign students to mix with BC students during a pandemic ????  

Yet i can't see my mom and my brother xmas day for a couple of hours social distancing in her basement.  

Honour system at it's finest. Yeah, I'm not risking going up island for christmas this year either. Step dad has a severe heart condition, don't wanna bring anything with me just in case. My actual dad is in his 60s now, and he's smoked for years, putting him in a higher risk category, so that's a no go too.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

When I was watching The Morning show(Canadian version) that is based out of Toronto, they were advertising it on their show :lol:

Here I just did a quick google search "Vancouver Island Snowbirds"

Vancouver Island tourism firms target snowbirds amid pandemic

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/vancouver-island-tourism-firms-target-snowbirds-amid-pandemic-1.5164381

I remember there was talk of this at the time (although I didn't realize the tourism industry was promoting it). I recall that by November, most of the private campgrounds (Central + South Island) had been reserved; apparently for snowbirds.  I have also noticed a lot of RVs and trailers (obviously being in use) tucked away in people's yards. This parallels with the spice in infections from Nov. 8-22.  The bulk of these snowbirds have already established themselves on the Island, so I don't expect a large influx over the Christmas holidays.

Besides, who drives across Canada at this time of year, anyways?  Especially with trailers and big RVs.

With the mandated mask, social gathering and non-essential travel restrictions, I am hopeful that the Island can continue to maintain the relatively low rate of infections.

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Ugh.

Wife interviewed for manager of this program in the neighbouring school district.  She was front runner, we believe, but the job was suspended, obviously due to covid. Don't know what SD68 is thinking here.

Haha, she now works in distributed learning . Cause that is how we should be teaching the kids right now, remotely. Of course enrolment is huge this year. 

Hey bish, I notice that the article you refer to does not have a date on it.  This makes me skeptical of the contents.  Do you know if this program is actually expected to start this February?  I wonder if the program could proceed with the current social gathering and non-essential travel restrictions.   Can't imagine any locals wanting to bring strangers into their homes right now, either.

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Hey bish, I notice that the article you refer to does not have a date on it.  This makes me skeptical of the contents.  Do you know if this program is actually expected to start this February?  I wonder if the program could proceed with the current social gathering and non-essential travel restrictions.   Can't imagine any locals wanting to bring strangers into their homes right now, either.

Good point, I don't know. Maybe SD68 has revised its plans. 

59 minutes ago, stawns said:

Doubtful

Taxes will have to go up, from my view, there is no other way to climb out of the massive deficits. Middle class and up will be paying more for sure, how much more and in what form is to be determined... money doesn't grow on trees. A looming Debt crisis is real. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Have a look at their school district website.   BC's covid restrictions on families for xmas day make zero sense.....

I think France is allowing max of  6 together on xmas day.....

Study with Us on Vancouver Island!

Our classic West Coast communities have rocky shores, sandy beaches, forested mountains and clean air.  We are close to the dynamic cities of Vancouver and Victoria and we are surrounded by opportunities for hiking, skiing, biking, paddling and even surfing.  We offer classes for English Language Learners and direct access to a rich variety of courses with Canadian peers. 

https://ise.schools.sd68.bc.ca/

Edited by kingofsurrey

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

After speaking to a family member who lives in a different province, they were talking to these people they know who are snowbirds, who normally head to Texas for this time of year, but guess what they're heading to Vancouver Island instead, good job Vancouver Island way to lure them all there during a pandemic to make some money....

Okanagan Valley central/South has ZERO availability through VRBO and Air BnB due to snowbirds....

A big cause of concern for interior health is how many came from or live in covid hotspots on the lower mainland, alberta and sask.  They fully anticipate that families from those hot spots will come to visit and that will spread the virus in our area like wildfire

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

This pisses me off.

I think @Warhippy mentioned the Island and interior of BC are target destinations for these grounded snowbirds.

Stay off the Island till this is done, thanks. 

Locals. Only. 

Yes indeed.

Again, second hand information via an email circulation through interior health and among high staff nurses/dr's warning about the amount of snowbirds in the central/south okanagan and the fears of visitations from families living in covid hot ones through the holidays

• Cheers 2

Kelowna doing their part....

To be fair.... they do have to quarentine when they get to their homestay.... i am pretty sure...

Central Okanagan Public Schools is an increasingly popular destination for students from all over world. As our program continues to grow, we value the local families who contribute to its success by hosting international students. Homestay is an important part of educational success for international students. It's also a wonderful opportunity to share our culture with others and learn about other cultures in return, since students join us from a number of countries in Asia, Europe, Central and South America. 

http://www.international.sd23.bc.ca/homestay/Pages/default.aspx#/=

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Silent Man said:

I think it is absolutely necessary to put a curfew in place for the New Year eve and January 1-4.

Otherwise we’ll see a big increase in cases count around January 14.

Just my thoughts…

Just move new years partys into schools.  Covid can not be spread in schools....  according to Horgan and Dr. B.

• Haha 1