The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Former Vancouver Sun columnist Pete McMartin opines on the lessons learned from 2020.

Full column at:

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/op-ed/pete-mcmartin-covid-19-pandemic-is-the-first-of-many-dire-threats-to-our-future?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VANSUNPROV COVID 19 Newsletter 2020-12-31&utm_term=SUNPROV COVID19 Newsletter

Here's an excerpt:

*******************************************************************************************************************************

What lessons should we take from 2020?

I’d suggest these:

1. People are capable of profound stupidity, and some people have not just been profoundly stupid in 2020, but wilfully and proudly so. They’ve revelled in it. They’ve taken an adolescent contrarian glee in it. They believe prejudices fuelled by internet myths are just as valid as those views based on empirical observation. They consider paranoia and conspiracy theories as alternative forms of astute counter-intuitiveness.

Further, by confusing self-entitlement with “rights,” these people took selfishness to new, reckless, criminal heights. Their characterizations of mandated mask-wearing and social-distancing as attempts by ‘Big Government’ to trod on their personal freedoms were laughable. Not so laughably, they endangered lives.

(In the interest of consistency, I’ve wondered that if those staunch, stupid individualists were suffering from the COVID virus, would they, on principle, refuse to avail themselves of our ‘Big Government’s’ universal healthcare system, given their belief that the pandemic was a hoax? Would they take their conviction to their death beds?)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Former Vancouver Sun columnist Pete McMartin opines on the lessons learned from 2020.

Full column at:

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/op-ed/pete-mcmartin-covid-19-pandemic-is-the-first-of-many-dire-threats-to-our-future?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VANSUNPROV COVID 19 Newsletter 2020-12-31&utm_term=SUNPROV COVID19 Newsletter

Here's an excerpt:

*******************************************************************************************************************************

What lessons should we take from 2020?

I’d suggest these:

1. People are capable of profound stupidity, and some people have not just been profoundly stupid in 2020, but wilfully and proudly so. They’ve revelled in it. They’ve taken an adolescent contrarian glee in it. They believe prejudices fuelled by internet myths are just as valid as those views based on empirical observation. They consider paranoia and conspiracy theories as alternative forms of astute counter-intuitiveness.

Further, by confusing self-entitlement with “rights,” these people took selfishness to new, reckless, criminal heights. Their characterizations of mandated mask-wearing and social-distancing as attempts by ‘Big Government’ to trod on their personal freedoms were laughable. Not so laughably, they endangered lives.

(In the interest of consistency, I’ve wondered that if those staunch, stupid individualists were suffering from the COVID virus, would they, on principle, refuse to avail themselves of our ‘Big Government’s’ universal healthcare system, given their belief that the pandemic was a hoax? Would they take their conviction to their death beds?)

Wow, McMartin did not hold back there.  Can't say I disagree with much there.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Lancaster said:

A question, not sure if it's been answered already.... would the CCP-virus vaccine protect against all future form of the virus... or will it be like the flu shot, where it just protects against some, but not all strains?

The Russian, ccp and oxford vaccines all target the protein spike using adenoviruses but in different ways.  This means that if the spike mutates the vaccine would have to be adjusted to be effective at that time. (Which is pretty much what they do with flu vaccines each year) 

the Pfizer and moderna vaccines uses mRNA to target the virus. This means that it is more likely to be able to target strains which have mutated significantly from the version the vaccine is based off. (However this is a new area so the full implications are not known)

in regards to needing it each year - none of the vaccines can guarantee it will provide lifelong immunity as we don’t know how much immunity and how many T cells will be needed to keep this.

It might be that some of the vaccines do, some don’t, and it might be that annual boosters become the norm. The data just isn’t out there yet for this

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

LOL you know you're in trouble when you're on the right in Alberta and Ezra Levant is pissed at you

She really REALLY screwed up

image.thumb.png.17fffe9137a627aeb1fcfcc107e82751.png

I think theres a point now where doesn't matter what side you're on of the political spectrum, when you pull crap like that you'll get called out by everyone.  Buggering off when everyone else is told to stay home, doesn't matter who you are, what party you're from, I am gonna stand my ground and say fire them and remove their pension. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Russ said:

I think theres a point now where doesn't matter what side you're on of the political spectrum, when you pull crap like that you'll get called out by everyone.  Buggering off when everyone else is told to stay home, doesn't matter who you are, what party you're from, I am gonna stand my ground and say fire them and remove their pension. 

I think the fact that these people are trying to fake being here is really showing how low they'll go.  Beyond just ignoring policies currently set out to protect us all, they're lying and manipulative while doing so.

It's one thing to stand your ground and say "I'm going and I don't care what you think".  It's another to set up a fake trail to suggest something otherwise.  

I've said it so many times but we're ALL really missing family and wanting to do things together...the people who go ahead and push to the front of the line then barge through like the doors are wide open for them to do so are selfish and missing the point of it all.  If we all don't follow protocol it's less effective...so they're actually undermining our efforts in the process!

• Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Russ said:

I cancelled my trip to Hawaii, which would have been my first.  A Hawaiian Christmas and New Years........that pisses me off to no end

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So yet another member of Alberta's cabinet went on vacation.  Why is this an issue.

There are 4 now 4 highest ranking members of Alberta's government that shut their province down and then left.

But.  one of those who left?  Literally the person in charge of administering and distribution of the covid vaccine.

Jason Kenney called a press conference today, showed up almost 90 minutes late.  Said that nobody did anything wrong, then claimed he knew nothing about it.  Micro manager Jason Kenney had no idea that during a pandemic the person in charge of getting the vaccine out left the country.

Immediate responses from across the country and political spectrum were immediate.  When such a high ranking member leaves office for vacation, business or personal reasons there is immediately people put in place to facilitate their roles and keep things working.

Honestly, the people in Alberta should be absolutely furious about this.  Instead...I keep reading how it could be worse, someone could have worn blackface...

This is why politics are for dumb and rich people.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Man, has Mark Donnelly ever created a career ending stance in public. On camera, chastising a reporter for wearing a mask, while he sings O Canada to a few folks at a protest.

What an idiot. I used to love him but now he's just a fat phuck.

He's probably just mad because masks stop him from shovelling muffins down his throat.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

So yet another member of Alberta's cabinet went on vacation.  Why is this an issue.

There are 4 now 4 highest ranking members of Alberta's government that shut their province down and then left.

But.  one of those who left?  Literally the person in charge of administering and distribution of the covid vaccine.

Jason Kenney called a press conference today, showed up almost 90 minutes late.  Said that nobody did anything wrong, then claimed he knew nothing about it.  Micro manager Jason Kenney had no idea that during a pandemic the person in charge of getting the vaccine out left the country.

Immediate responses from across the country and political spectrum were immediate.  When such a high ranking member leaves office for vacation, business or personal reasons there is immediately people put in place to facilitate their roles and keep things working.

Honestly, the people in Alberta should be absolutely furious about this.  Instead...I keep reading how it could be worse, someone could have worn blackface...

Listening to the little man that wears the big hat in the Province, was unbearable. No demanding of a resignation, but, her reason that it is an annual family event, and she came home immediately. You are right, blackface gets more traction than crap like this in that Province every time.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

whats Niki Ashtons excuse? 

I haven't seen my parents in over a year and my dad is currently in hospital. I'd love to be able to go and help them now but I'm trying to follow the rules, but &^@# me its hard when these people do this stuff.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

They (Global TV) did a survey of the BC parties and asked if anyone in their caucuses had gone out of Province during the Christmas break. NONE, ZERO, in any of the 3 parties. An NDP Federal MP did however go to Greece to visit an ailing relative, but didn't go through the proper channels to do so, and was removed from their shadow position in Parliament. I think a little discretion could have been made in that case, but, as everyone has said, we haven't seen relatives in ages, so why should they?

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Man, has Mark Donnelly ever created a career ending stance in public. On camera, chastising a reporter for wearing a mask, while he sings O Canada to a few folks at a protest.

He also mocked him/her....."look out for the Corona viruses floating around" (sounded like Bugs Bunny...could barely get the words out).

He's a weirdo....that's become clearly evident.  Thank GOD he's no longer associated with our team.  

As much as I hate to give them any coverage....here is how low he's fallen.   Without a red carpet in sight!

https://globalnews.ca/news/7550669/new-years-eve-anti-mask-freedom-rally-vancouver/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalBC&fbclid=IwAR31MyvYqKZWHMLEtCbfbRmvqm538ftXEH2hOfk4VcO9EIr-jDKgsWtVru8

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

He also mocked him/her....."watch out for Corona floating around out there" as he pointed to the sky.

He's a weirdo....that's become clearly evident.  Thank GOD he's no longer associated with our team.  

Unbelievable, isn't it? He'd do well in parts of 'murica and Kelowna!

Edited by johngould21
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

He also mocked him/her....."look out for the Corona viruses floating around" (sounded like Bugs Bunny...could barely get the words out).

As much as I hate to give them any coverage....here is how low he's fallen.   Without a red carpet in sight!

https://globalnews.ca/news/7550669/new-years-eve-anti-mask-freedom-rally-vancouver/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalBC&fbclid=IwAR31MyvYqKZWHMLEtCbfbRmvqm538ftXEH2hOfk4VcO9EIr-jDKgsWtVru8

What a goof. Obviously this guy ate his own brain, he mistook it for Carrot Cake.

It just goes to show you what this pandimic can do to a person. This guy has a fragile mind and it cracked. Probably because he's fatter than the earth. Obviously this guy doesn't care about anything besides his belly.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 2