The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The Americans are vaccinating 1 million people per day. Biden will hit his 100 million in his first 100 days. Meanwhile Trudeau asks India for vaccine and receives a maybe. 

Wasn't it pretty common knowledge that we wouldn't have the same access as countries like the US?  They spent a month preparing us for this scenario..........we shouldn't be surprised that that is what happened

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

The Americans are vaccinating 1 million people per day. Biden will hit his 100 million in his first 100 days. Meanwhile Trudeau asks India for vaccine and receives a maybe. 

And then "a lot" of people won't have to pay back their stimulus checks because the government was "unclear" about that.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The  American have had 300,000 extra deaths, when population size is factored in, compared to Canada.

Nice of you to show up now and toss rocks.

Also India said they would do their best- so not really a maybe.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-modi-vaccine-1.5908770

"

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi says his country — home to the world's largest vaccine maker — will "do its best" to help Canada secure supplies of coveted COVID-19 vaccine doses.

Modi tweeted this morning that he received a call from his "friend" Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. 

"Prime Minister Trudeau informed Prime Minister Modi about Canada's requirements of COVID-19 vaccines from India," says a summary of the call issued by the Indian government.

"[The] prime minister assured the Canadian PM that India would do its best to support Canada's vaccination efforts, just as it had done for many other countries already,"

18 minutes ago, gurn said:

The  American have had 300,000 extra deaths, when population size is factored in, compared to Canada.

Nice of you to show up now and toss rocks.

Also India said they would do their best- so not really a maybe.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-modi-vaccine-1.5908770

"

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi says his country — home to the world's largest vaccine maker — will "do its best" to help Canada secure supplies of coveted COVID-19 vaccine doses.

Modi tweeted this morning that he received a call from his "friend" Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. 

"Prime Minister Trudeau informed Prime Minister Modi about Canada's requirements of COVID-19 vaccines from India," says a summary of the call issued by the Indian government.

"[The] prime minister assured the Canadian PM that India would do its best to support Canada's vaccination efforts, just as it had done for many other countries already,"

It does appear that Canada is really not a 1st world country in the global economic scheme of things.

There is reporting that Canada ordered 150 to 400 million vaccine doses.  There was critical editorial analysis that 1st world countries were hoarding vaccine doses at the expense of 2nd and 3rd world countries.  This is a serious issue as this is a global pandemic and inoculating on a regional basis is foolhardy and really only a stop gap solution.  Failure to control the virus globally will simply allow for additional mutations that in time will require another round of vaccinations everywhere.  I was hopeful that Canada over ordering vaccines was to allow it to be a conduit to move excess doses to more needy countries that lacked vaccine priority globally.

I find it curious that despite its best efforts to over order vaccinations, that Canada is being shut out or being given a lower priority status for vaccination distribution.  This is significant.  Canadians like to believe that we are equal in status globally to the US and other major european countries.  I think this shows we are not.  

2 minutes ago, notafanatic said:

It does appear that Canada is really not a 1st world country in the global economic scheme of things.

There is reporting that Canada ordered 150 to 400 million vaccine doses.  There was critical editorial analysis that 1st world countries were hoarding vaccine doses at the expense of 2nd and 3rd world countries.  This is a serious issue as this is a global pandemic and inoculating on a regional basis is foolhardy and really only a stop gap solution.  Failure to control the virus globally will simply allow for additional mutations that in time will require another round of vaccinations everywhere.  I was hopeful that Canada over ordering vaccines was to allow it to be a conduit to move excess doses to more needy countries that lacked vaccine priority globally.

I find it curious that despite its best efforts to over order vaccinations, that Canada is being shut out or being given a lower priority status for vaccination distribution.  This is significant.  Canadians like to believe that we are equal in status globally to the US and other major european countries.  I think this shows we are not.  

Again, we were told we weren't going to be first in line so I don't understand the hand wringing and government blaming.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, we were told we weren't going to be first in line so I don't understand the hand wringing and government blaming.

Please explain the purpose of the vaccination plans proposed by provincial governments if there was a clear expectation that vaccine would not be available.  I know the plan in BC is entirely dependent on a level of vaccine doses being available.  They are not.  Why bother with a plan that knowingly cannot be accomplished?

BC is in phase 2 of its vaccination plan.  Tell me how phase 2 will be completed in the time frame proposed.  My mother is waiting for her dose as she is over 80 years old.  She should be first in line in phase 2.

Edited by notafanatic

13 minutes ago, notafanatic said:

The emergence of COVID 19 variants like B.1.1.7 out of the UK, the South African variant and the Brazil variant has nothing to do with the inavailability or the shortage of vaccine.

Question: Is it possible to hoard a ordered vaccine? You can only hoard vaccine that has been produced and delivered.

Question: Is it possible to roll - out the vaccine simultaneously around the world over countless countries, given the constraint of manufacturing capacities? No, it isn't.

Question: Do you really think Canada is the only country that is given a lower priority  status for vaccine distribution? I can tell you that all of the countries of the European Union feel the same way right now.

Question: Do you really think that the status of a specific country determines the priority a country is given in the vaccine supply sequence ? Even countries with a strong reputation and strong economic status in the world like Germany faces the same kind of problems like Canada.

YES, our politicians were so desperate to even take the Russian vaccine Sputnik V into consideration. Prime Minister Angela Merkel had a phone call with Russian Leader Putin about the possiblity to approve Sputnik V in the European Union.

35 minutes ago, notafanatic said:

From November and this was if everything went off without a hitch, which was never going to happen

https://apnews.com/article/justin-trudeau-canada-coronavirus-pandemic-united-states-e405547090d24e017a2fe267babcaa0e

Edited by stawns

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

The emergence of COVID 19 variants like B.1.1.7 out of the UK, the South African variant and the Brazil variant has nothing to do with the inavailability or the shortage of vaccine.

Question: Is it possible to hoard a ordered vaccine? You can only hoard vaccine that has been produced and delivered.

Question: Is it possible to roll - out the vaccine simultaneously around the world over countless countries, given the constraint of manufacturing capacities? No, it isn't.

Question: Do you really think Canada is the only country that is given a lower priority  status for vaccine distribution? I can tell you that all of the countries of the European Union feel the same way right now.

Question: Do you really think that the status of a specific country determines the priority a country is given in the vaccine supply sequence ? Even countries with a strong reputation and strong economic status in the world like Germany faces the same kind of problems like Canada.

YES, our politicians were so desperate to even take the Russian vaccine Sputnik V into consideration. Prime Minister Angela Merkel had a phone call with Russian Leader Putin about the possiblity to approve Sputnik V in the European Unio

Seems like a fair bit of rationalization happening in this post.

I can explain away Canada's stall on its vaccination regime if I worked at it to justify what has now occurred.

There is a limited amount of vaccine no doubt.

Trump. based on reports, failed to take necessary steps to secure vaccine supply for the US.

Despite that, Biden was recently able to announce he had secured another 200 million doses. 

Seems Biden was able to gain priority for vaccination doses despite Trump's fumble.

Those had to come from somewhere.  Simple math.  As there is a limited supply globally.

And yes, that would mean other countries also need to scramble a bit more to get doses.

But I'm also still curious to know why provincial vaccination plans were announced with a fairly aggressive vaccination schedule if it was so well known to all that there would be a vaccination shortfall.  Vaccination efforts have largely stalled in Canada over the last 2 weeks.

I am not being critical of our governments, not the Canadian or provincial levels.  I think they did what they needed to do. 

6 minutes ago, notafanatic said:

But I'm also still curious to know why provincial vaccination plans were announced with a fairly aggressive vaccination schedule if it was so well known to all that there would be a vaccination shortfall.  Vaccination efforts have largely stalled in Canada over the last 2 weeks.

You must have missed when Pizer stopped producing, while they upgraded their production facilities.

They should make up their shortfall with in the next 2 weeks.

I believe we are high on their list to make good/whole for the delay.

Personally I don't mind the delay anyhow, gives the government time to study out which vaccines are the best overall for Canada.

Which ones provide total, and which provide partial protection against the numerous variants.

Which are better for the aged.

Is it better to mix some of the vaccine.

All things Canada will be able to assess, because we aren't just jabbing the first thing available.

• Vintage 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/more-pfizer-shots-will-arrive-in-the-second-quarter-than-originally-planned-trudeau/ar-BB1dDmXh?ocid=msedgdhp

"

Canada stands to receive more Pfizer doses in the next quarter than expected; a promising development for a country grappling with vaccine shortages for weeks, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said today.

The pharmaceutical giant will deliver 10.8 million shots between April and June as the manufacturing supply chain stabilizes after a shaky start to the year, the prime minister added.

Four million more Moderna doses will also arrive in the second quarter, Trudeau said — two developments that mean more Canadians can get shots faster.

Pfizer and Moderna, the two leading suppliers of vaccines, have been fine tuning their operations in recent weeks to meet insatiable global demand with new COVID-19 variants taking hold.

The federal government has long promised six million patients will be fully vaccinated with a two-dose vaccine regime in the first three months of this year.

Pfizer is on track to deliver its promised four million doses while Moderna continues to make "assurances" that it will hit its target of two million shots in Canada by the end of March, Trudeau said. Roughly 1.4 million doses of both shots have been delivered so far.

20 million more Canadians will get shots in the second quarter while all who want a shot will get one by the end of September, the prime minister said.

"We're absolutely on track," he said.

While Pfizer deliveries have been limited over the last month, owing to plant upgrades at its site in Belgium, the company has said it will send hundreds of thousands of doses to Canada weekly for the foreseeable future.

Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin, the military commander leading vaccine logistics, said more than 400,000 shots will arrive next week.

• Cheers 1

If you look at the link earlier I posted it talks about Canada. 

a lot of  the stocks you guys ordered was from Europe under the expectation that trump would slap export bans on vaccines out of the USA, like he did during the early days of the pandemic.

however it’s europe that’s had the issues with production and maybe limiting their exports. It’s a case of making the wrong plays but in hindsight it’s easy to understand why.

also with the orders and backing for vaccines places like the USA and the UK got in early and either used clauses to guarantee early delivery, or got in first.

in the scheme of global economic weight to throw around Canada is small fry so it’s understandable why it’s slightly behind in stocks. 

however I’m sure with the way that the vaccines are produced with some of the critical ingredients/material is made in Canada so your government could always leverage that to speed up their allocation 

Looks like real world data is backing up efficacy claims of over 90% for the Pfizer vaccine.  (from the Coronavirus subreddit)

https://www.timesofisrael.com/hmo-sees-only-544-covid-infections-among-523000-fully-vaccinated-israelis/

It works: 0 deaths, only 4 severe cases among 523,000 fully vaccinated Israelis

HMO data a week after 2nd dose shows 93% effectiveness, ‘unequivocally’ proving vaccine’s success and leaving ‘no doubt’ it’s saved many Israeli lives, says Maccabi official

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Looks like real world data is backing up efficacy claims of over 90% for the Pfizer vaccine.  (from the Coronavirus subreddit)

https://www.timesofisrael.com/hmo-sees-only-544-covid-infections-among-523000-fully-vaccinated-israelis/

It works: 0 deaths, only 4 severe cases among 523,000 fully vaccinated Israelis

HMO data a week after 2nd dose shows 93% effectiveness, ‘unequivocally’ proving vaccine’s success and leaving ‘no doubt’ it’s saved many Israeli lives, says Maccabi official

Another important number, but buried in the article:

"only 544 people — or 0.1% — have been subsequently diagnosed with the coronavirus"

Good to see.

Let's hope we can get the vaccines here in Canada rolling soon cause it looks like the UK variant is starting to make its presence felt.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Upvote 1

Pfizer doses get back to more usual volumes and more in Mar.

With the new Health Canada approval of 6 doses per vial using low dead space syringes, the number doses should increase by 20%.

Hopefully BC schedule will be on time for Apr rollout of the next phase. 

Screenshot_20210211-063411.png

20210205_145506.jpg

Screenshot_20210207-215900.png

Edited by Jaimito

29 minutes ago, Russ said:

Now what its missing is the info for anti-vaccers who want to know how many walking dead zombies have come out of it, I don't see that listed in the article. 

zombie GIF

Thing is, we've had almost 163,000 first doses and a little over 17,500 second doses of the vaccines.   If the vaccines were as dangerous as anti-vaxxers make them out to be, there would be lots of local examples.   As it stands,  they'll complain about a couple dozen deaths of elderly, frail Norwegians and say look. 

From of the BC dashboard from the BC CDC.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/a6f23959a8b14bfa989e3cda29297ded

• Cheers 1

I'll add this for our anti-vaxx friends.  CDC reported cases of anaphylaxis from almost 10 million doses of mRNA vaccines totaled 47 for Pfizer and 19 for Moderna.  66 cases.  Over that time thousands and thousands DIED from Covid.  Sorry, the anti-vaxxers are dead wrong.  The data clearly falsifies their position.  Period.

During December 14, 2020 through January 18, 2021, a total of 9 943 247 doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and 7 581 429 doses of the Moderna vaccine were reported administered in the US (CDC unpublished data, February 2021). CDC identified 66 case reports received by VAERS that met Brighton Collaboration case definition criteria for anaphylaxis (levels 1, 2 or 3): 47 following Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, for a reporting rate of 4.7 cases/million doses administered, and 19 following Moderna vaccine, for a reporting rate of 2.5 cases/million doses administered.

EDIT:  I'll add that no deaths from anaphylaxis after vaccination with either product were reported.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776557?guestAccessKey=0f55c73d-4e40-4809-a897-4f2a398fdc25&utm_source=fbpage&utm_medium=social_jama&utm_term=4487061908&utm_campaign=article_alert&linkId=111251790

Reports of Anaphylaxis After Receipt of mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines in the US—December 14, 2020-January 18, 2021

vaxjit210009t1_1613071100.83897.png

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1