The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

As has been proven all along though, the best path to "normalcy" is patience and doing what's needed. Not rushing things and ignoring them. Some will pay the ultimate price in that.

The people you know who are struggling (I am actually one of them, this is tough) have to remember that some won't have the luxury of "waiting this out" or being tired of it.

Imagine going through this in an era that didn't have internet.  Face time.  We have a lot of things to keep us occupied and somewhat happy.  It's tough, but a pandemic has never been easy...ask those before us who had to really tough it out.  We now have connections to other people and even health professionals at our fingertips.  We're actually quite lucky in a big picture way as lives aren't totally disrupted.

We'll get through this, but we're not there "yet".  Shortcuts have never proven to be effective in this.

I don't really agree that everything we've done has resulted in the best case scenario (or will). Obviously there was a point in time when we thought things could be much much worse - potentially 15% of the population (conservatively) wiped out in relatively short order, exc - and that required this response & the utmost patience + care as things progressed, but I do think we are at a point now where there needs to be a serious question of whether the cure may be worse than the disease (at the very least in some respects).

I think younger populations especially are really bearing the brunt of the response & I'm not sure if that's right (while acknowledging that by no means is this analysis an easy thing to weigh).

I guess that's kind of my pushback. I could go on and on but suffice it to say I think there are deeper issues at play here.

On a personal level I just want to say it has been nice to come here and interact with you and others in the GDT's, and bond over something that takes our minds off our problems. We are all going through this together & regardless of if we think things are being handled correctly I hope we don't get too lost the divisiveness that we can't listen to each other. 

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, reyezone said:

Consistently the most bigoted, hateful perspective on this board. 

Don't take that fool seriously. Nobody with a functioning brain does. How he hasn't been banned for the hate speech he constantly spews is beyond me. I have never in real life met anyone as hateful as him and a few others on here on. Truly disgusting people.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

But of course Don Cherry supports these "patriots":

I would guess that none of those people at the War Memorial are truck drivers.  More likely just a bunch of 30-year-old yahoos that are upset they can't always party in their favourite bar and have to wear a mask in the stores.  

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Gay, trans, and indigenous are qualities one is unable to change.  Being an ignorant biohazard who is too stupid to take a vaccine is something that is very easy to change.  Idiots are not a protected group under the Charter.

Man that has to be one of the most pathetic tweets I've ever seen. 

Just now, Coda said:

I would guess that none of those people at the War Memorial are truck drivers.  More likely just a bunch of 30-year-old yahoos that are upset they can't always party in their favourite bar and have to wear a mask in the stores.  

Yup, it's a really tricky thing to organize any sort of a protest and not have some yahoos join, in fact it's impossible. 

2 minutes ago, Mossberg said:

Don't take that fool seriously. Nobody with a functioning brain does. How he hasn't been banned for the hate speech he constantly spews is beyond me. I have never in real life met anyone as hateful as him and a few others on here on. Truly disgusting people.

200.gif

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Coda said:

Well most legit truckers are vaccinated in any event (like around 80 to 85% or more I believe).

25 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Except the morons throwing this tantrum are complaining that they can't handle consequences for their own stupid decisions.

There are deeper issues are play here Heff that we will be dealing with for a long time.

I don't even want to bring up the V word but theoretically even with 100% rate hospitals will be an issue. BC has stopped providing detailed data (if the data they ever provided was actually adequate in the first place), so I just looked up some from Ontario;

As of today 667 unvaccinated people are admitted to Hospital for Covid in a Province of 14.75+ Million. That's 0.0045% whom alone are sinking the healthcare system for everyone else, we're told... its a little ridiculous.

That's not to say some marginal improvement (if these people got vaccinated) wouldn't/couldn't be worthwhile, but its just meant to give some perspective that there's a much bigger issue with just this situation alone, never-mind everything else that mandates & divisiveness is doing to our country. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yup, it's a really tricky thing to organize any sort of a protest and not have some yahoos join, in fact it's impossible. 

The protest now has little to do with cross-border vaccine mandates, if it ever did.  Truckers are a small minority of the participants.  It's basically an event for right-wingers to protest Trudeau, even though almost all of the pandemic-related mandates and restrictions were implemented at the provincial level, not the federal level.  

The stated intent of "Canada Unity" is basically to remove the power of the Prime Minister and the House of Commons and to override provincial and pandemic related mandates and restrictions at the federal level.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

There are deeper issues are play here Heff that we will be dealing with for a long time.

I don't even want to bring up the V word but theoretically even with 100% rate hospitals will be an issue. BC has stopped providing detailed data (if the data they ever provided was actually adequate in the first place), so I just looked up some from Ontario;

As of today 667 unvaccinated people are admitted to Hospital for Covid in a Province of 14.75+ Million. That's 0.0045% whom alone are sinking the healthcare system for everyone else, we're told... its a little ridiculous.

That's not to say some marginal improvement (if these people got vaccinated) wouldn't/couldn't be worthwhile, but its just meant to give some perspective that there's a much bigger issue with just this situation alone, never-mind everything else that mandates & divisiveness is doing to our country. 

The people who are throwing tantrums about the mandates are the ones that are causing the divisiveness.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Coda said:

The protest now has little to do with cross-border vaccine mandates, if it ever did.  Truckers are a small minority of the participants.  It's basically an event for right-wingers to protest Trudeau, even though almost all of the pandemic-related mandates and restrictions were implemented at the provincial level, not the federal level.  

The stated intent of "Canada Unity" is basically to remove the power of the Prime Minister and the House of Commons and to override provincial and pandemic related mandates and restrictions at the federal level.  

Sounds like treason, no?  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

The people who are throwing tantrums about the mandates are the ones that are causing the divisiveness.

Talking to these antivaxxers is like trying to reason with a tantrum throwing three year old.  But even a three year old knows not to drink their urine.  

Berlin, Germany – This week, German Health Minister Karl Lauterbach told his country that it was the right time to start thinking about the COVID-19 pandemic in a different way.

“When we have this [surge] behind us … we can start opening again, step by step,” he told local media. “It’s correct to envisage this now.” 

The German politician, who is a professor of epidemiology, is not the only European official making this call.

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has already spoken about his plan to begin treating the coronavirus more like the flu. Spain would “have to learn to live with it, as we do with many other viruses”, he said.

French Health Minister Olivier Veran has also suggested this could be the final wave of the pandemic.

The argument is that although infections caused by the more infectious Omicron variant of the virus are rising rapidly, serious cases and hospital admissions have not increased at the same rate.

COVID-19 wouldn’t disappear altogether, but would be managed. The disease would become endemic, rather than pandemic.