The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While Linda Quick was embedded within the system over there, her capacity was as a trainer for epidemiologists. What her clearances were over there isn't mentioned in the article, therefore there is really no proof that her presence over there would have helped the situation at all. 

"Other sources told Reuters that Dr Quick was in an ideal position to be the eyes and ears on the ground for the US and other countries on the coronavirus outbreak, and might have alerted them to the growing threat weeks earlier.

Y, I think the official position from US is that it didn't matter.  But a better relations with China (US was and still is in a trade war with China), would have helped. 

Looking at what Taiwan did, I think having someone locally inside China was valuable. They didn't trust the official government reports and acted right away by sending a team of experts on an investigative mission to China in early January, 2020. 

"And despite poor relations with Beijing, Taiwan asked and received permission to send a team of experts to the mainland on a fact-finding mission Jan. 12.

“They didn’t let us see what they didn’t want us to see, but our experts sensed the situation was not optimistic,” government spokesperson Kolas Yotaka told NBC News."

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/what-taiwan-can-teach-world-fighting-coronavirus-n1153826

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Y, I think the official position from US is that it didn't matter.  But a better relations with China (US was and still is in a trade war with China), would have helped. 

Looking at what Taiwan did, I think having someone locally inside China was valuable. They didn't trust the official government reports and acted right away by sending a team of experts on an investigative mission to China in early January, 2020. 

"And despite poor relations with Beijing, Taiwan asked and received permission to send a team of experts to the mainland on a fact-finding mission Jan. 12.

“They didn’t let us see what they didn’t want us to see, but our experts sensed the situation was not optimistic,” government spokesperson Kolas Yotaka told NBC News."

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/what-taiwan-can-teach-world-fighting-coronavirus-n1153826

I think the official US position was that they believed in the maturity of the program and that China had displayed excellent technical capability.

42 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

They didn't learn from their mistake in 2003 SARS.   So unfortunate. They invested millions into virus and wildlife research. Published many good and important research on coronaviruses. Banned wild life trade for short time.  But in the end, it was still political failure that led to delayed action, cover-up and delayed dissemination of actual epidemiological data to the world to sound the alarm.  Their subsequent actions in Wuhan lockdown and country wide measures were effective and should be a model for future pandemics. But many other countries dismissed it as authoritarian. But in reality, they showed how a highly transmissable respiratory virus can be contained then eradicated in a country of 1.4 billion.  

I agree that their measures were very effective, but in Canada, U.S, Western Europe, Australia etc. those measures could never be implemented. Fortunately or unfortunately, we are not playing on same leveled field, as China does.

Few years before I was born, in March of 1972, pilgrim that went to Hajj brought back small pox to Yugoslavia.

As soon as disease started to spread and it killed 35 people, special measures were applied.

Martial law was declared, all borders sealed, travel stopped, gatherings and meetings banned.

Those that would break these risked spending years in prison or shot by the border guards.

In 2 months, entire population of 18 million was vaccinated, and by May outbreak has been stopped.

Even WHO described the reaction of the government, as one of the best ever in terms of disease outbreak.

But as with China, repercussions of not following orders were pretty severe.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Fear of being  sent away to " education" camps, or shot or run over by tanks can really get citizens to do what their told.

as opposed to the "kenney approach" where you spend years preaching a mistrust of government and then act suprised when the people you have been indoctrinating for years show mistrust in your own government.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

OK I registered weeks ago and still haven't got an appointment, what gives?  I followed the same steps as I did with my dad and he got an appointment after four days.

Just now, Tre Mac said:

OK I registered weeks ago and still haven't got an appointment, what gives?  I followed the same steps as I did with my dad and he got an appointment after four days.

for the AZ?

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

for the AZ?

Any, had a friend say they could smuggle me in for a Pfizer jab but I don't to jump the que even though I am pretty sure I am eligible for one (41yo)

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Any, had a friend say they could smuggle me in for a Pfizer jab but I don't to jump the que even though I am pretty sure I am eligible for one (41yo)

at 41, you'll likely wait another couple of weeks I think.  Look for pop up clinics for the AZ.....Shopper's had one in Vernon on the weekend and my gf got hers that way.  No age restrictions or appointments necessary, just show up in time.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

You in BC?  I think they are still booking 50+ this Thursday. Hang in there, likely in a week or so. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I agree that their measures were very effective, but in Canada, U.S, Western Europe, Australia etc. those measures could never be implemented. Fortunately or unfortunately, we are not playing on same leveled field, as China does.

Few years before I was born, in March of 1972, pilgrim that went to Hajj brought back small pox to Yugoslavia.

As soon as disease started to spread and it killed 35 people, special measures were applied.

Martial law was declared, all borders sealed, travel stopped, gatherings and meetings banned.

Those that would break these risked spending years in prison or shot by the border guards.

In 2 months, entire population of 18 million was vaccinated, and by May outbreak has been stopped.

Even WHO described the reaction of the government, as one of the best ever in terms of disease outbreak.

But as with China, repercussions of not following orders were pretty severe.

For sure, some of the measures will not fly in democracies. But many things can be implemented, digital contact tracing, mass testing of entire city if needed, strict quarantine rules and travel etc. 

Australia did a pretty good job after some initial struggles. Now virtually covid zero.  NZ too.  Vietnam is a non island country that did well too. Singapore, South Korea. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

If you are 41 and in a hotspot, not sure if White Rock is...  Then you can book Pfizer.  Call in if they haven't sent you and invite, if you are in one of the hotspots.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think the official US position was that they believed in the maturity of the program and that China had displayed excellent technical capability.

But not honest politically. More reasons to have "spies" on the ground. 

11 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

But not honest politically. More reasons to have "spies" on the ground. 

They sure laid out the platitudes pretty thick. Wouldn’t having someone training epidemiologists be a better way to keep tabs on a foreign country and their disease and virus management systems?

I have a friend (Northern Health region) who kinda jumped the queue and registered by phone over a month ago before the online registration system went online. She's 64. So when she hadn't heard anything from them, she called them after her age group was announced and others in her age group who had registered online and already received their first vaccination..... and was told by some vaguely snotty person on the other end of the line to be patient and wait for a phone call.this was almost 2 weeks ago.

So...she STILL has not had heard a word yet scads of people in her age group who registered online had their vaccination shots over 12 days ago. There's something really screwed up with the phone registration system in that she's still waiting for a call back yet people younger than her who registered online have already had their first shots. And she's not the first one who has run into this situation.

8 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

I have a friend (Northern Health region) who kinda jumped the queue and registered by phone over a month ago before the online registration system went online. She's 64. So when she hadn't heard anything from them, she called them after her age group was announced and others in her age group who had registered online and already received their first vaccination..... and was told by some vaguely snotty person on the other end of the line to be patient and wait for a phone call.this was almost 2 weeks ago.

So...she STILL has not had heard a word yet scads of people in her age group who registered online had their vaccination shots over 12 days ago. There's something really screwed up with the phone registration system in that she's still waiting for a call back yet people younger than her who registered online have already had their first shots. And she's not the first one who has run into this situation.

Yeah sounds like when she registered early when they transitioned to the new system, it went missing.  She needs to contact them again.  64 year old people have been able to book for a long time.  

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

Yeah sounds like when she registered early when they transitioned to the new system, it went missing.  She needs to contact them again.  64 year old people have been able to book for a long time.  

43 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Interesting. Perhaps that's why they were rolling out "registration" by age. Many complained that was pointless since you can just register at any time. 

Thanks for posting this. I will tell my nieces. 

• Cheers 1

I'd love to see a chart breakdown of per capita morons who refuse to get vaccinated for stupid reasons......

I think we all know which country would be #1 .....

Spoiler

Digibyte Usa GIF - Digibyte Usa Meme - Discover & Share GIFs

....but it would be interesting to see who the other "Covidiot" countries are.....since Alberta isn't a country, I imagine we'd be right up there too....

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'd love to see a chart breakdown of per capita morons who refuse to get vaccinated for stupid reasons......

I think we all know which country would be #1 .....

Reveal hidden contents

Digibyte Usa GIF - Digibyte Usa Meme - Discover & Share GIFs

....but it would be interesting to see who the other "Covidiot" countries are.....since Alberta isn't a country, I imagine we'd be right up there too....

I don't think America would be number one.  France, Ukraine, Russia, Poland all worse.  Biden gave a speech today, he mentioned that 85% of americans over 65 had at least one dose and that would still be slowly climbing.  That's pretty high.  

• Cheers 1