The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

35 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

OMG - really Gurn???   Sorry but unfortunately for some strange reason, I don't seem to able to control the size of Scientific Health Studies (not sure why -LOL) - maybe in my next lifetime......

I was aware that you don't control sample size, but thanks for informing all the other posters of same.

And again, you stated  "any variant" yet the link you posted to listed 1 variant.

If you claim others are spreading misinformation,  then please be precise in your posts.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

I was aware that you don't control sample size, but thanks for informing all the other posters of same.

And again, you stated  "any variant" yet the link you posted to listed 1 variant.

If you claim others are spreading misinformation,  then please be precise in your posts.

................Always am very precise and factual and glad I could inform others a bit more !!!

Edited by RU SERIOUS

10 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I didn't say that AZ is some 3rd world country junk because its made in India - you did!  Just stating facts that there are identified risk associated with J&J and the Indian concocted 3rd world country junk (as you called it) that do not exist in the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.  If there was nothing else available, I'd be forced to take it too in a last ditch desperate effort to protect myself. 

Something to correct, that all of the Phizer vaccine supplied to date came from the European plant in Brussels. NONE from the USA - AT ALL, but might start to get some trickling in next week.  https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canada-to-receive-2m-vaccine-doses-this-week-as-pfizer-biontech-ramp-up-deliveries-1.5411460

Another correction that Denmark Will NOT inject Astra Zenica stuff into their people arms due to their fears of potential blood clots and death after injecting Astra Zenica into their bodies, that's why they are not using it - NOT the reason you stated.  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56744474#:~:text=Denmark has ceased giving the,vaccination programme by several weeks.  and yes, a few European countries have just recently allowed very limited use of that stuff after most of them banned it https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/15/which-countries-have-halted-use-of-astrazenecas-covid-vaccine along with many other countries due to the danger of blood clots and death.

Another correction: The AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine showed an effectiveness of about 62% in preventing symptomatic COVID-19 disease beginning 2 weeks after the second dose and completely ineffective against any of the variants strains.  So your family is unfortunately NOT fully protected.  https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/covid19-industry/drugs-vaccines-treatments/vaccines/astrazeneca.html

Oh and one last thing, I'm also aware that India is a major supplier of drugs to the world.  I can vouch for that - I live in Surrey and have plenty of neighbors "in the business" !!! 

NOTE: In future kindly check your facts from reputable sources and not social media before posting, so misinformation is not spread regarding this most serious disease as we don't want to mis-inform unsuspecting/uninformed people, but I do appreciate your efforts to try and justify the use of that Indian Astra Zenica stuff to yourself.

I wish you all the best of luck trying to find a second AZ shot for your family as Canada is pretty well "out-of stock' of this now and it look like India won't be exporting any more doses for the foreseeable future because of the high demand in their own country.  Maybe your family will get lucky and mix their first AZ shot with one of the normal shots like Moderna or Pfizer.  So they might end-up O.K. after all.

I did say Pfizer from US arrived in the country this week and is being used. Nothing to correct with what I said. What's the big deal if it is made in US or EU?  But your are the one emphasizing the place of origin in your post. You don't need to if you are just comparing mRNA vs AZ. Obviously your are slighting the vaccine being from India, when AZ doses in Canada are from a variety of sources and countries of origin (US, Korea, EU). 

You comment on Surrey kinda gives me a sense of who you are. Stereotyping people. Again you had to add "I do appreciate your efforts to try and justify the use of that Indian Astra Zenica stuff to yourself." :picard:

AZ works against UK variant well which is the dominant Carradine in Canada, and real world data in UK shows it too. SA variant is rare in Canada. All vaccines so far all are in varying degrees attenuated by it.  The small trial of AZ in SA was looking at mostly healthy young people, and it failed to prevent mild disease. No one got hospitalized or died in the trial, however.  So we don't know if it is ineffective in preventing severe disease, which is the most important.  Also, one dose of mRNA vaccines are not very effective vs SA variant. You need two doses (recent study from Qatar in nejm), but Canada is delaying first dose which complicates things with comparison. The best advise is to keep doing the NPI measures to get the cases down, then get the second shot. 

T cell immunity will work regardless of the variant. It isn't just all antibodies.   Bottom line, getting a vaccine is far better than none. Gives you a fighting chance.  But one dose of mRNA or AZ isn't as effective, and people will need to be vigilant. 

• Thanks 1

Its not just a AZ thing against South African variant, Pfizer isn’t as effective and Moderna seems to be the most effective against it, also has a shorter protection span. AZ is fine against uk and Brazilian variants 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/health-55659820.amp

things like this were known and it’s likely boosters will be needed just like seasonal flu. hence the uk booster program and the updating of the vaccines

This is good news.  People like me, who are waiting for their second shot, may not have to wait quite as long.  At least I can hope that is the case.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7840097/coronavirus-covid-vaccine-timeline-sooner-summer/

Canadians might be vaccinated ‘sooner than originally anticipated,’ officials say

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The study provides evidence for substantial neurological and psychiatric morbidity in the 6 months after COVID-19 infection. Risks were greatest in, but not limited to, patients who had severe COVID-19. This information could help in service planning and identification of research priorities. Complementary study designs, including prospective cohorts, are needed to corroborate and explain these findings.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(21)00084-5/fulltext

6-month neurological and psychiatric outcomes in 236 379 survivors of COVID-19: a retrospective cohort study using electronic health records

• Vintage 1

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/covid-19-leaked-reports-show-health-authorities-withholding-data-from-the-public

Bit of a longer read so not going to copy and paste it all here, but when chairs of public health institutions call you out for being too controlling with your information (and for being even more restrictive with it than other provinces), it sure raises questions as to what Dr. BH might be hiding.  With the demographic information, I'd bet there's even just cause for closing schools and that the information for each week isn't as neat and tidy as her summative statements make it out to be.  While I also understand her job has elements of PR work and there's a fine line she needs to navigate, it's pretty obvious there's other stakeholders for whom she speaks to their benefit, and I question what semblance of public trust should remain for someone with things to hide. 

Edited by Phil_314

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/covid-19-leaked-reports-show-health-authorities-withholding-data-from-the-public

Bit of a longer read so not going to copy and paste it all here, but when chairs of public health institutions call you out for being too controlling with your information (and for being even more restrictive with it than other provinces), it sure raises questions as to what Dr. BH might be hiding.  With the demographic information, I'd bet there's even just cause for closing schools and that the information for each week isn't as neat and tidy as her summative statements make it out to be.  While I also understand her job has elements of PR work and there's a fine line she needs to navigate, it's pretty obvious there's other stakeholders for whom she speaks to their benefit, and I question what semblance of public trust should remain for someone with things to hide. 

in no way do I, as a teacher, feel that I am getting anythingclose to the real story of what's  happening in schools.  HOwever, I also think we just have to have a certain trust in the government and just accept that we get the big picture and that they can manage the details.

Going forward I will be extremely pissed if we, more importantly, I cannot work from home. It makes sense across the board. In my particular case, our department had major IT projects involving thousands of staff and tens of thousands of customers and did it all without a hiccup. Plus, the work at home capability allows me to move away and look for a first time house somewhere more affordable.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Going forward I will be extremely pissed if we, more importantly, I cannot work from home. It makes sense across the board. In my particular case, our department had major IT projects involving thousands of staff and tens of thousands of customers and did it all without a hiccup. Plus, the work at home capability allows me to move away and look for a first time house somewhere more affordable.

Not sure what habituation has been like over in Canada but over here it seems like while working from home won’t be phased out it will be replaced with hybrid models with 3/2 being the most common one. 

some of the larger companies are moving to hub models so while people will be able to work from home they will still occasionally need to go into their local hub. 

https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-origin-of-covid-did-people-or-nature-open-pandoras-box-at-wuhan/

"By the end of this article, you may have learned a lot about the molecular biology of viruses. I will try to keep this process as painless as possible. But the science cannot be avoided because for now, and probably for a long time hence, it offers the only sure thread through the maze.

The virus that caused the pandemic is known officially as SARS-CoV-2, but can be called SARS2 for short. As many people know, there are two main theories about its origin. One is that it jumped naturally from wildlife to people. The other is that the virus was under study in a lab, from which it escaped. It matters a great deal which is the case if we hope to prevent a second such occurrence.

I’ll describe the two theories, explain why each is plausible, and then ask which provides the better explanation of the available facts. It’s important to note that so far there is no direct evidence for either theory. Each depends on a set of reasonable conjectures but so far lacks proof. So I have only clues, not conclusions, to offer. "

Interesting read...

12 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

My boss is quite enamoured by the way we're working remotely yet still able to maintain the same (or higher) degree of productivity.  She's actually convinced that when this pandemic reaches a point where we can return to the office full-time, that we'll probably adopt a hybrid remote working model, reducing the cost of office rent and utilities, and reducing overall costs for the staff (for not having to commute every working day, plus other trickle-down effects like having to maintain as extensive a wardrobe of work clothes, spending less on eating out, etc.)  Of course, that depends on her boss and her boss' boss to allow her to make that decision for our unit, but I'm pretty sure that's the approach we'll be taking moving forward.

For those of us at the management level, we're more likely to have to go into the office more frequently, for meetings and such.  (Ugh, meetings)  But for the staff, they're most productive when they're without interruptions from idiot management types (like me :bigblush: ), so working remotely enhances that.

Are you sure you're in management?   You spelled that out like a "normal" employee, not one full of himself like many managers I've come across in my days.   Thank you for being so truthful and down to earth.  A special place awaits you in Heaven - (void of all managers) !

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Are you sure you're in management?   You spelled that out like a "normal" employee, not one full of himself like many managers I've come across in my days.   Thank you for being so truthful and down to earth.  A special place awaits you in Heaven - (void of all managers) !

Management are not some mythical being who somehow are born in a suit. 

I worked for some great divisional directors who saw the human element.

im lucky in that I’m at that level but in a technical role 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Looks like the detailed neighborhood infection map from BC CDC that was uncovered by the media yesterday, confirms exactly what we already suspected and more or less known, that Surrey, North Delta (really a part of Surrey) and Abbotsford are in a very bad spot with rampant Covid spreading like wildfire.  As I previously mentioned some time ago, I'm not surprised one bit to see this, as mask wearing is on the low side in these parts (but getting better). 

Glad to see that they will be targeting these areas for vaccines.   Should have been doing so much earlier as these two areas in particular have been publicly known hot-spots for 9-10 months.   

Also banning flights form India and Pakistan will surely help as mentioned in this article https://globalnews.ca/news/7831103/air-travellers-covid-test/  "On April 23, Canada banned flights from India and Pakistan because of the high number of positive COVID-19 cases on those flights. In the two weeks before that decision was made, 165 flights carried at least one person who later tested positive, 43 of them from India.  Almost every flight that landed from India had at least one positive COVID-19 patient."    It's amazing that every flight had contaminated people from India as they were supposed to all have been tested negative prior to boarding.  Although I'd like to believe they caught it off the airplane toilet seat on the way over, the likely explanation is falsifying test results using faked documents recently discovered by the Canadian, Australian and N.Z. police.  https://qz.com/india/1993757/indians-are-using-fake-covid-19-results-to-travel-skip-exams/    https://globalnews.ca/news/7724514/canada-cbsa-travellers-fake-tests/   I can't believe good citizens would do such a selfish thing and jeopardize infecting hundreds on a plane and fellow citizens back in Surrey and Abbotsford.   Don't they have any conscience ?  What type of people would do such a thing ???

Hopefully further International flight bans will occur from other countries, as i'm sure there are other problematic countries.  International flights should have been all banned a year ago.   How do think all the new variants got in here ????

B.C. reports 722 cases of coronavirus, 7 deaths in final update of the week  | CTV News

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Management are not some mythical being who somehow are born in a suit. 

I worked for some great divisional directors who saw the human element.

im lucky in that I’m at that level but in a technical role 

I too have been fortunate enough to work with a few good Mgrs.   However the majority were not and many first time managers were on power trips.  Which is very hard condition to work with.   

11 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I kind of fluked into tihs role.  But yes, I am in management, and get to experience daily the fear of having my job axed at any moment (unlike the staff I work with who have union protection).

At the end of the day, we're all human.  I view my team as my family (albeit an ever-changing one), much like my boss views us as her's.  We have a good culture in my office, thankfully.  Her boss isn't in our office, and I'm glad her boss is not someone I work with directly because I know for a fact that my boss's boss is the old school power-tripping asshole managerial type.  That's probably what made my boss's boss a director.

Best boss I ever had was female.  Always to work early, produced more than any other, but could kick you in the teeth if you weren’t paying close enough attention.  I think I’m mixing up stories here.  That might have been my best milking cow.  Sometimes the scotch, mixed with age makes me “udderly” ridiculous.  :sadno:

Edited by Alflives
  • Haha 3