The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Personally I'm not comfortable with the lower efficacy numbers and will leave it for those who are ok with it.

I was a bit more worried about the availability of the second dose with AZ.  I'm working full time at home so I was able to wait.  Let others that don't have that choice get an AZ shot earlier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

I was a bit more worried about the availability of the second dose with AZ.  I'm working full time at home so I was able to wait.  Let others that don't have that choice get an AZ shot earlier.

I think if they determine its better for AZ people to receive a second AZ over an mRNA vaccine.  This will be in July, so we could trade Pfizer for AZ from some other country.  Maybe someone will give us 3 for 1 ;)

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Personally I'm not comfortable with the lower efficacy numbers and will leave it for those who are ok with it.

Really the efficacy number should be taken with a large grain of salt as they are not remotely comparable as the method and variable for the trails are vastly different.

Now if you say you want something that has a better track record than yep, no arguments here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Really the efficacy number should be taken with a large grain of salt as they are not remotely comparable as the method and variable for the trails are vastly different.

Now if you say you want something that has a better track record than yep, no arguments here.

Good post.

There is a lot more to this than has been reported.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/astrazeneca-s-lower-efficacy-has-been-questioned-b

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yeah; I've taken them with a grain of salt and still have a very strong preference for the mRNA vaccines.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Nonsense. 

AZ is developed by Oxford University, which is in UK. Astrazeneca is a British-Swedish multinational pharmaceutical company, based in Cambridge. Last time I checked they are both in Europe despite brexit.  Canada had imported doses made in US, Korea Europe and India.  The company is making them at cost, and allowed multiple factories to make them to supply the world. Serum Institute of India is the largest vaccine supplier of the world.  Before you question India's ability or quality, next time you get your medications or get it in a hospital, be aware that pretty much a majority of the drug ingredients are from India. 

Efficacy data cannot be directly compared. They are derived from different trials, at different locations, patient population, and different times of the pandemic (with different variants of the virus as well as prevelance of the disease).  

Pfizer has both European and US factories. The current batches to Canada are coming in from Michigan, after the trump ban on export expired in late March. 

All the vaccines have trial data and real world data to show that it saves lives and reduce hospitalization.  I  can understand people who are concerned of the rare but seriously risk.  Take the vaccine you are comfortable with.  But don't spread misinformation that AZ is some 3rd world country junk.  UK used AZ for 60% of their doses, and they got out of the last wave. They are allowing people to have rave parties now without masks. Denmark has enough Pfizer to cover their small country (5.8 million) and feel they don't need AZ.  But other countries in EU continue to use it. 

I survived a plane crash in Tanzania in 2017. I know the statistics and air travel is very safe. But I won't go on a small plane ever again.  And now even in a 777 or 787, I get anxious flying.  People assess risks differently. But I advised my family members to get AZ because that's the first one available. They are all vaccinated early last month and since it takes 2-3 weeks to have a protective effect, they are now protected for this wave. Time is important depending on your job and exposure risk (one works in airport, another in day care).   Waiting for a vaccine can cost your life.  Those that are dying in the hospitals now or died today, imagine what their love ones are thinking...perhaps if they had a vaccine earlier they would have survived. 

Many heads of state got AZ, including Boris Johnson, French and Thailand Prime Minister, S Korean President and his wife. JT and his wife, O'tool, NDP leader, ON, BC, AB premiers.  

I didn't say that AZ is some 3rd world country junk because its made in India - you did!  Just stating facts that there are identified risk associated with J&J and the Indian concocted 3rd world country junk (as you called it) that do not exist in the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.  If there was nothing else available, I'd be forced to take it too in a last ditch desperate effort to protect myself. 

Something to correct, that all of the Phizer vaccine supplied to date came from the European plant in Brussels. NONE from the USA - AT ALL, but might start to get some trickling in next week.  https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canada-to-receive-2m-vaccine-doses-this-week-as-pfizer-biontech-ramp-up-deliveries-1.5411460

Another correction that Denmark Will NOT inject Astra Zenica stuff into their people arms due to their fears of potential blood clots and death after injecting Astra Zenica into their bodies, that's why they are not using it - NOT the reason you stated.  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56744474#:~:text=Denmark has ceased giving the,vaccination programme by several weeks.  and yes, a few European countries have just recently allowed very limited use of that stuff after most of them banned it https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/15/which-countries-have-halted-use-of-astrazenecas-covid-vaccine along with many other countries due to the danger of blood clots and death.

Another correction: The AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine showed an effectiveness of about 62% in preventing symptomatic COVID-19 disease beginning 2 weeks after the second dose and completely ineffective against any of the variants strains.  So your family is unfortunately NOT fully protected.  https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/covid19-industry/drugs-vaccines-treatments/vaccines/astrazeneca.html

Oh and one last thing, I'm also aware that India is a major supplier of drugs to the world.  I can vouch for that - I live in Surrey and have plenty of neighbors "in the business" !!! 

NOTE: In future kindly check your facts from reputable sources and not social media before posting, so misinformation is not spread regarding this most serious disease as we don't want to mis-inform unsuspecting/uninformed people, but I do appreciate your efforts to try and justify the use of that Indian Astra Zenica stuff to yourself.

I wish you all the best of luck trying to find a second AZ shot for your family as Canada is pretty well "out-of stock' of this now and it look like India won't be exporting any more doses for the foreseeable future because of the high demand in their own country.  Maybe your family will get lucky and mix their first AZ shot with one of the normal shots like Moderna or Pfizer.  So they might end-up O.K. after all.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

6 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I got the Pfizer as well.  Waiting for the 2nd $&!# to activate the 5G tracking microchip.   :gocan:

I heard on Fox news that Trump said the Tracking Microchip was only available in the Chinese Sinovac vaccine.....and they would never lie about that!

China flag in the center of a circuit board. Concept of leadership in technology, artificial intelligence or digital cryptocurrencies

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, BCNeil said:

I think if they determine its better for AZ people to receive a second AZ over an mRNA vaccine.  This will be in July, so we could trade Pfizer for AZ from some other country.  Maybe someone will give us 3 for 1 ;)

I heard that you can trade the sinovac vaccine for 10 to 1 :lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

nd completely ineffective against any of the variants strains.  So your family is unfortunately NOT fully protected.  https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/covid19-industry/drugs-vaccines-treatments/vaccines/astrazeneca.html

I did not see anything on the link you provided that says AZ is "completely " inneffective against the variants. In fact I saw nothing about about variants at all.

That could be because i haven't had coffee yet, but perhaps you could help by pointing out where, exaxctly, it states what you claimed?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Plenty of studies showing the AZ vaccine is effective against the mutations, maybe not as effective as against the base strain it was built to protect but still effective. 

the 62% efficacy  figure is wrong. The trials in March showed it was 76% combined overall and 85% for over 65s.

It is 67% effective as reducing transmission after once dose but that’s a separate part to how effective it is. Also efficacy is not the same as effectiveness.

also with the blood clots take a read

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/are-blood-clots-a-concern-with-mrna-vaccines

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/blood-clots-as-prevalent-with-pfizer-and-moderna-vaccine-as-with-astrazenecas-report-2021-04-15

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/defender/pfizer-moderna-vaccines-blood-clots/

pfizer and moderna MRNA vaccines also pose a similar risk. The blow up of the clots issues is a political issue around EU and UK relations and also Phama companies trying to slow down a wider distribution of AZ due to the fact its supplied at cost and severely undercuts the traditional players.

AZ is a cancer research and treatment company primarily not a vaccine company.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On a separate point from above

UK is planning on giving boosters in September - however there are trials ongoing about mix and matching the vaccines and the plan is that if that proves to be effective that the booster may be provided by giving a dose of an alternate type. But there is already work to produce a seasonal style booster as well so good progress is being made on that front 

Early trial data, but good newws none the less.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/05/tweaked-moderna-vaccine-neutralises-covid-variants-in-trials

Tweaked Moderna vaccine ‘neutralises Covid variants in trials’

Limited data from small test trial shows positive results against South Africa and Brazil strains

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

I did not see anything on the link you provided that says AZ is "completely " inneffective against the variants. In fact I saw nothing about about variants at all.

That could be because i haven't had coffee yet, but perhaps you could help by pointing out where, exaxctly, it states what you claimed?

Sure, not a problem..... it's in many other articles published, not in the Gov't of Canada on.,  Sorry I forgot to include that reference for the mis-informed AZ promoters.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2021/03/17/astrazeneca-vaccine-fails-to-protect-against-the-south-african-variant/?sh=60c9fae6526e

Another: Extracted from this article........ https://www.advisory.com/en/daily-briefing/2021/04/16/variants-vaccines...................................................

.................... AstraZeneca's vaccine, which has not been authorized in the United States, against certain variants. One very small study suggested that that vaccine was almost entirely ineffective at preventing mild cases of Covid-19 against B.1.351, and a separate experiment found that it takes 86 times as many antibodies from the AstraZeneca vaccine to neutralize B.1.351 as it does to neutralize the original strain of the virus.

"I'm basically not confident about [AstraZeneca's] vaccine at all" in mitigating B.1.351 infections, Abdool Karim said.

Let me know if you require any further proof about the real facts about that AZ stuff........

Stay safe and happy vaccination !

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Let me know if you require any further proof

Thanks, at least youhave backed up what you said, and that is appreciated.

12 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

One very small study suggested that that vaccine was almost entirely ineffective at preventing mild cases of Covid-19 against B.1.351,

I do see the words "one very small study suggested" and mentions one particular variant, but you originally claimed "any variant"

you make claims about others misinformation, yet seem to perpetrating your own brand of misinformation.

• Cheers 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, coho8888 said:

I heard that you can trade the sinovac vaccine for 10 to 1 :lol:

Hahaha.   You made me laugh for 2 minutes !!!    Even if The CPC (Communist party of Ch ina) Vaccine (A.K.A. Sinovac) did not contain secretly embedded micro-chips to control your mind,(joking of course),  I still wouldn't take it because it's barely over the World Heath Organizations bare minimum 50% threshold efficacy (at 50.4%) making it's use suspect - at best coming out of that country and why it's mainly used in third world countries.https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-03-14/China-continues-to-contribute-to-global-vaccine-distribution-YCquwiznFK/index.html

20210417_woc543.png

Edited by RU SERIOUS

46 minutes ago, gurn said:

Thanks, at least youhave backed up what you said, and that is appreciated.

I do see the words "one very small study suggested" and mentions one particular variant, but you originally claimed "any variant"

you make claims about others misinformation, yet seem to perpetrating your own brand of misinformation.

OMG - really Gurn???   Sorry but unfortunately for some strange reason, I don't seem to able to control the size of Scientific Health Studies (not sure why -LOL) - maybe in my next lifetime......

So in turn, I've provided endless amounts of factual references about that Astrra Zenica stuff to back up everything I've stated from Government of Canada reports CDC reports, WHO reports & reputable news outlets instead of Social media and rumors - where lazy people get their news.   Although I'd love to sit here all day and spoon-feed all those lazy people who don't make any effort to obtain their own information from reputable news outlets, I think I've already gone over-board doing so.  I've done my duty!

Edited by RU SERIOUS

British Columbia reported one new COVID-19 death and 684 new cases of the virus, as active cases and hospitalizations trended downward again, Thursday.

70c8fc80

It dropped the province’s seven-day average for new cases to 695, the lowest it has been since March 25.

• Like 1