The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update: ...

...There are 6,348 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 220,741 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 192 individuals are in hospital and 76 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

Just to re-iterate, this is the most important number to keep an eye on and the bottom line.  Of course it's scary to see the increase in total numbers, and it means that we run the risk of the number of patients in ICU balooning up in a matter of a week but between the vaccination rate being high and the fact that so many people have already had Covid and have some natural immunity, I'm hopeful that we will stay below 100.  

15 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

This seems reasonable. Booking a time to accommodate vaxxed people to work out would eliminate a crush of people at one time. Much easier to implement safety measures in this case. Good for the patrons, good for the businesses.

Seems the province has perhaps used a meat cleaver when a scalpel would have been more appropriate.

Going to need a lot more gym time then.

Thats what it was last spring.  It made the gym way less busy (already fairly quiet).  I used to have to clock in for 1 or 1.5 hour workout blocks if I wanted to go and it showed you how busy they were.

If people are scared they can stay home, order their groceries for curbside pickup or delivery and stay locked away.  I like to get my gym workout in before work, gets me in a good mental state, if I don't go my day drags and I feel depressed.  Its my mental break time from the rest of the world where its just me lifting before going into the stresses of life at work or family.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

People lie.

That's not the reason at all.  

They just want to limit the capacity for obvious reasons to decrease public interaction.  Sharing an arena, no matter how big it is, is better to do with 10,000 people then 20,000.  

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Just to re-iterate, this is the most important number to keep an eye on and the bottom line.  Of course it's scary to see the increase in total numbers, and it means that we run the risk of the number of patients in ICU balooning up in a matter of a week but between the vaccination rate being high and the fact that so many people have already had Covid and have some natural immunity, I'm hopeful that we will stay below 100.  

100% agree, but it's going to be 3-4 weeks before we really know what the impact is going to be on the healthcare system, but even with a mild strain it's going to severely bend, maybe even break the health care system.

They are saying this strain is as infectious as measles, one of the most infectious virus' in history.  Tye time half ass things is not now, whether we like it or not.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

100% agree, but it's going to be 3-4 weeks before we really know what the impact is going to be on the healthcare system, but even with a mild strain it's going to severely bend, maybe even break the health care system.

They are saying this strain is as infectious as measles, one of the most infectious virus' in history.  Tye time half ass things is not now, whether we like it or not.

Yeah, I just read the latest measures and they're not half-assing it...  

Oh well, let's hope for the best and hope that Canucks games don't get cancelled.  It's sad to say but I don't have much else going on right now.  I gave away my PS4 to stop playing video games and I'm kinda regretting it now haha 

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

But that’s exactly what they are doing. 50% attendance caps on concerts and sports while completely eliminating access to fitness facilities yet making no changes to school protocols is almost the definition of half assing things. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah, I just read the latest measures and they're not half-assing it...  

Oh well, let's hope for the best and hope that Canucks games don't get cancelled.  It's sad to say but I don't have much else going on right now.  I gave away my PS4 to stop playing video games and I'm kinda regretting it now haha 

Its a crappy time for this to go down, no question

Just now, GSP* said:

But that’s exactly what they are doing. 50% attendance caps on concerts and sports while completely eliminating access to fitness facilities yet making no changes to school protocols is almost the definition of half assing things. 

I think we'll see no concerts and no fans ay hockey games by January.  I expect to be under strict lockdown until mid January, at the latest. 

42 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

It all started with 2 weeks to flatten the curve amiright :metal: 

Putting an end date doesnt help much when its not believed, this restriction thing is going to perpetuity ill just have to accept it.

well, maybe people can put down Facebook and actually listen to the experts. Wait 5 minutes before freaking out.

• RoughGame 1

15 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Is it? I get it but do you think it's 3 weeks? 

I wouldn't be surprised if it stretched to March. 

we'll just have to wait and see what this variant does to our population. We do know if more people go along with the guidelines things will be better.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Also a good number of these people are suffering from Delta, if not all of them.

https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2021/12/white-house-statement-screenshot.jpg

I wish Canada had the balls to do this. Even though I personally believe Omicron is going to be the first endemic variant and wont overwhelm hospitals, this is what unvaccinated people need to be treated like. They don't understand anything else.

Edited by Kurgom
  • Wat 3

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

Even though it is very contagious, I still think the double vaxed and triple vaxed compromised folks will avoid hospitalizations if Omicron is a milder strain. The people that will really suffer are the older non-vaxed, which are a small % of the population (they will need to be hyper vigilant with this variant).  I look over at the UK as a good comparison to as (good healthcare + older population) and their 3#s are quite revealing for a nation that is hugley Omicron dominant.  90,628 new cases, 172 deaths, 859 critical/severe (down from 879 yesterday).  These are not bad figures for a population the size of the UK.

We will inevitably be following the regular protocols for a long while from now (at least the smart ones will).

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Even though it is very contagious, I still think the double vaxed and triple vaxed compromised folks will avoid hospitalizations if Omicron is a milder strain. The people that will really suffer are the older non-vaxed, which are a small % of the population (they will need to be hyper vigilant with this variant).  I look over at the UK as a good comparison to as (good healthcare + older population) and their 3#s are quite revealing for a nation that is hugley Omicron dominant.  90,628 new cases, 172 deaths, 859 critical/severe (down from 879 yesterday).  These are not bad figures for a population the size of the UK.

We will inevitably be following the regular protocols for a long while from now (at least the smart ones will).

We'll definitely know more from the UK in about two weeks.  There is room for hope, but we just can't act on hope, we need certainty.

• Vintage 1