The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

20 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If there are still is a legit state of emergency by November they should postpone the election.  Should be a definite date to postpone it to, but you can't expect citizens to go out and vote under the conditions we see right now.

Trump cant postpone the election on his own and I don't see congress agreeing to let him stay in power without an election.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

i didn't think it would be possible for Falwell to be a bigger scumbag than his father....

...but he's giving it the old college try....

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

If they were offering 10 grand a month, should people who don't make 10 grand a month get 10 grand a month because they don't make 10 grand a month?

Oh you ARE. serious.

You’re lack of empathy is dully noted.

8 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

If they were offering 10 grand a month, should people who don't make 10 grand a month get 10 grand a month because they don't make 10 grand a month?

But they're not, they're offering $2, 000. Which, incidentally, is pretty close to what people making minimum wage (at least in BC) and normally working 37.5-40 hrs/week make.

What's the problem?

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Trump cant postpone the election on his own and I don't see congress agreeing to let him stay in power without an election.

I would argue that it depends on the collective suffering the American people are going through come November.

12 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

wtf?

I really hope that's a joke

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, riffraff said:

As I said in my earlier post.  deaths should be considered as related to Covid as they are to other life threatening pre conditions.

that isn’t considering those living in harmful/life threatening atmospheric environments for their entire lives.  There are cities around the world that have advisory warnings on some days relative to air quality for people with respiratory related conditions and seniors.  Again, Covid is a final push in many but agreeably not all of deaths for these scenarios.

without getting too far into it going forward, health ministers and doctors need to have the most unbiased and clearest numbers in order to prepare for future pandemics.

so is it not important that cause of death be carefully qualified?

Dude. Seriously.

Covid-19 is highly contagious and if that’s “the final push” that kills them, then it is a Covid-19 death.

Get your head out of your ass and join the effort to combat this with the rest of us.

Edited by Me_

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Dude. Seriously.

Covid-19 is highly contagious and if that’s “the final push” that kills them, then it is a Covid-19 death.

Get your head out of your ass and join the effort to combat this with the rest of us.

I’m at home just like you.

seriously,

Dude.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

I’m at home just like you.

seriously,

Dude.

Then what? You’re right wing?

You don’t believe in helping others?

You think poor people should die?

You think poverty is a crime?

You think emergencies such as this one should still be based on merit?

You think poverty is a choice?

Please do elaborate on the angle you’ve decided to come from with your comments.

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Please do elaborate on the angle you’ve decided to come from with your comments.

Where did he say any of that? I get that you don't agree with him but this is a little extreme is it not? :blink:

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, riffraff said:

As I said in my earlier post.  deaths should be considered as related to Covid as they are to other life threatening pre conditions.

that isn’t considering those living in harmful/life threatening atmospheric environments for their entire lives.  There are cities around the world that have advisory warnings on some days relative to air quality for people with respiratory related conditions and seniors.  Again, Covid is a final push in many but agreeably not all of deaths for these scenarios.

without getting too far into it going forward, health ministers and doctors need to have the most unbiased and clearest numbers in order to prepare for future pandemics.

so is it not important that cause of death be carefully qualified?

At the end of the day this is too new, changing too rapidly, too widespread and too deadly to get quality statistics like that. At this point all we have to work with is 1s and 0s. My initial comment of covid killing 3700 people was to a poster minimizing the virus because car accidents kill the same. You can always break down a statistic further to allow for more qualitative analysis instead of quantitative. Car accidents we have enough data to break it down (weather, age, alcohol, region, car technology etc), unfortunately we aren't really there yet with covid.

And while poor air quality can compromise the respiratory tract and thus compromise immunity the point remains that those people were living in these conditions prior to the outbreak, and living full lives in these regions. I think it is entirely possible, even likely, that air quality magnifies the impact of this, as with any respiratory condition. Furthermore, what does that mean for London, LA and New York?

• Cheers 2

Just now, Me_ said:

Hey just relax ok.

there is no angle.  

do you have an angle?  I don’t think you do.

so I’m not sure why you’re responding with these extreme comparisons.

my posts have said that not all documented deaths can be attributed to Covid.  All being the key word.

you'll probably decide that the following statement of opinion is an angle.  I can’t help that but here goes:

All of us:  citizens, gvt leaders, business owners, scientists, doctors/health pros, and health ministers have the opportunity to at least have a different look at the way policies are made,  laws are made, lifestyle choices are made to create a better future.

its at least with a look - a consideration.  Maybe if funds/efforts are focused towards our environment, proactive health choices and education our children and children’s children will live in a way that is less threatened by a virus.  Because right now the world is not living in this way.  So the results will always be the same.  We talk about flattening curves and reducing strain on the healthcare systems, but we talk and look at it from too small increments in time when really we all should be flattening the curve today, tomorrow,  a decade away, a generation away.

Stay safe.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

At the end of the day this is too new, changing too rapidly, too widespread and too deadly to get quality statistics like that. At this point all we have to work with is 1s and 0s. My initial comment of covid killing 3700 people was to a poster minimizing the virus because car accidents kill the same. You can always break down a statistic further to allow for more qualitative analysis instead of quantitative. Car accidents we have enough data to break it down (weather, age, alcohol, region, car technology etc), unfortunately we aren't really there yet with covid.

And while poor air quality can compromise the respiratory tract and thus compromise immunity the point remains that those people were living in these conditions prior to the outbreak, and living full lives in these regions. I think it is entirely possible, even likely, that air quality magnifies the impact of this, as with any respiratory condition. Furthermore, what does that mean for London, LA and New York?

Yes I realize the intent of your post as well as the post you were responding to which like you I can’t agree that is a legit statistical comparison to use in an analogy.

• Cheers 1