The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm certain I had it in late January and hate it now.

Me too. End of January. My daughter attends university and got a five day fever. Then I got a short fever. then my wife, who gets nothing, got a five day fever. 

4 minutes ago, Dustbin said:

Me too. End of January. My daughter attends university and got a five day fever. Then I got a short fever. then my wife, who gets nothing, got a five day fever. 

I had a respiratory virus like nothing I'd ever had before.  I was down and out with high fever, severe coughing, heavy heavy fatigue, body aches etc..........I was out for close to 8 days.  It ripped through my school, at one point we had up to half our staff out at the same time.  

This time around, it's a much milder case (if I indeed have it, which I'm as sure as I can be without a test) and was manageable.  WS I re-infected or does it hit and then lay dormant for another round?

It also came with hours of taking one of my best friends.  They only said it was pneumonia caused by an unknown virus.  He's a healthy 46 year old

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dustbin said:

Only 17 dead yesterday and 12 today.  As I said, I don't believe it. Probably reporting issues.

https://www.covid-19canada.com/

Sweden 10,948 cases, 919 dead, 8.4% mortality  91  deaths per million

up                465 cases, 20   dead since yesterday, so far.

Canada  24,804 cases, 734 dead  3% mortality 19 deaths  per million

up                 421 cases, 17 dead since yesterday, so far

yesterday:

Sweden  10,483 cases 899 dead 8.6% mortality rate  89 deaths per million

Canada  24,383 cases  717 dead 2.9% mortality rate  19 deaths per million

So far Sweden had 3 more deaths and 44 more cases, today; with about 1/4 the population of Canada.

Note: because of reporting times I expect Canada's totals will rise throughout the day, not sure about Sweden.

12 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Yes, if you watch again she is even going for a key lock behind 'one shoes' back in the scramble.She's well trained. 

And oh, I agree, watching the bunny storm in was awesome! ....sometimes good guys take a third bunny in penalty though, game misconduct. 

This looks like a good place for this:

Every bunny was kung fu fighting | Funny animal memes, Funny ...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

Sweden 10,948 cases, 919 dead, 8.4% mortality  91  deaths per million

up                465 cases, 20   dead since yesterday, so far.

Canada  24,804 cases, 734 dead  3% mortality 19 deaths  per million

up                 421 cases, 17 dead since yesterday, so far

yesterday:

Sweden  10,483 cases 899 dead 8.6% mortality rate  89 deaths per million

Canada  24,383 cases  717 dead 2.9% mortality rate  19 deaths per million

So far Sweden had 3 more deaths and 44 more cases, today; with about 1/4 the population of Canada.

Note: because of reporting times I expect Canada's totals will rise throughout the day, not sure about Sweden.

Case counts and mortality rates are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned because they are just a function of how many and who are being tested. Maybe one country only tests seriously ill people while another tests anyone who wants a test. Death rates and to a lesser extent hospitalizations are the only stats I think are worth paying attention to.

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I had a respiratory virus like nothing I'd ever had before.  I was down and out with high fever, severe coughing, heavy heavy fatigue, body aches etc..........I was out for close to 8 days.  It ripped through my school, at one point we had up to half our staff out at the same time.  

This time around, it's a much milder case (if I indeed have it, which I'm as sure as I can be without a test) and was manageable.  WS I re-infected or does it hit and then lay dormant for another round?

It also came with hours of taking one of my best friends.  They only said it was pneumonia caused by an unknown virus.  He's a healthy 46 year old

I wonder the same too because I've had a some hoarseness in my voice for a month now, soooo. But I'm feeling stress, can't deny it.

A month ago  three of my siblings got very ill and tested negative for covid, but tested positive for influenza A. Hope that helps. They are better.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Didn't see this posted. Some positive Covid 19 news for a change:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/health-canada-approves-spartan-biosciences-portable-covid-19-test/ar-BB12yYjx?li=AAggNb9

Health Canada has approved the use of a portable, rapid-testing device for COVID-19.

The Spartan Cube from Ottawa's Spartan Bioscience is expected to help provide rapid tests for health services in rural and remote areas such as Indigenous communities.

The hand-held device, about the size of a coffee cup, eliminates the need for swab samples to travel to the nearest lab, which can be a logistical challenge.

The federal, Alberta and Ontario governments are among those who have contracts for the testing kits, which can confirm results in less than one hour.

Ontario has ordered nearly 1 million testing kits, while Alberta's contract is for 100,000 kits. The Cube uses Spartan's COVID-19 test cartridges and proprietary swabs, manufactured in Ottawa.

Health Canada greenlit the device on Saturday and Spartan says it will begin shipments "immediately."

Spartan says the test, in which either the nose or throat is swabbed, can be operated by non-laboratory personnel in a variety of locales such as airports, border crossings, doctors' offices, pharmacies and clinics.

"There is an urgent unmet need for rapid COVID-19 testing, and as a proudly Canadian company, we are excited that our technology will be an important part of fighting the COVID-19 pandemic in Canada," CEO Paul Lem said Monday in a release. 

:gocan:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Dustbin said:

Case counts and mortality rates are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned because they are just a function of how many and who are being tested. Maybe one country only tests seriously ill people while another tests anyone who wants a test. Death rates and to a lesser extent hospitalizations are the only stats I think are worth paying attention to.

I wonder the same too because I've had a some hoarseness in my voice for a month now, soooo. But I'm feeling stress, can't deny it.

A month ago  three of my siblings got very ill and tested negative for covid, but tested positive for influenza A. Hope that helps. They are better.

As a teacher I get every virus that flares up.......this was something I'd never experienced before

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Update from across the pond.

Mum's step brother Jack is doing better, symptoms are going away. His best friend is also on the mend, however that mans wife is not. Still in the induced coma and things don't look good. Kidney's are failing..

A sad related affect of covid is diminishing health care support. My Aunt was just diagnosed just last week with an aggressive form of breast cancer. They have told her she has less than 3 months unless she gets emergency surgery. It was scheduled for yesterday but was postponed due to the surgeon not having the team he needed show up. They are so stretched thin needing all hands on deck for covid. My aunt is 78 so she is low priority. 

We're scrambling to try to look at a private option for her. 

• Huggy Bear 4

35 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Well I refrained from going down to the beach this weekend.  My foot finally healed up so I was able to go for some late night jogs this weekend but the boredom is getting to me.  

It can be stressful being out....I had to go to the grocery store for Dad and I.  Opted to parallel park on the street rather than in the lot (I'm even social distance parking to avoid two people getting out of the car in close proximity).

Had the windows open and all of a sudden the woman from the car behind me (that I was parking in front of) decided to "help"...as I had my head completely turned to the right at one point, she snuck up to my open window and was standing RIGHT THERE, telling me how to park (I ace parallel parking...was my one strong point in driving).  Worst thing was, she was eating, full on open mouth, as she was talking.  My instinct was I immediately rolled up the window!  At which point she said "oh, sorry, sorry...forgot"!!  Not good enough.  I was stressed afterward.

I hate going out right now....too many covidiots running around out there.  The sun is a bit problematic because so many are wandering around. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

COVID-19 China: Nation fights second wave of resurgent virus as cases grow

A total of 108 new coronavirus cases were reported in mainland China on Sunday, up from 99 a day earlier, marking the highest daily tally since March 5

China’s northeastern border with Russia has become a frontline in the fight against a resurgence of the coronavirus epidemic as new daily cases rose to the highest in nearly six weeks – with more than 90 per cent involving people coming from abroad.

Having largely stamped out domestic transmission of the disease, China has been slowly easing curbs on movement as it tries to get its economy back on track, but there are fears that a rise in imported cases could spark a second wave of COVID-19.

A total of 108 new coronavirus cases were reported in mainland China on Sunday, up from 99 a day earlier, marking the highest daily tally since March 5.

Imported cases accounted for a record 98. Half involved Chinese nationals returning from Russia’s Far Eastern Federal District, home to the city of Vladivostok, who re-entered China through border crossings in Heilongjiang province.

“Our little town here, we thought it was the safest place,” said a resident of the border city of Suifenhe, who only gave his surname as Zhu.

“Some Chinese citizens — they want to come back, but it’s not very sensible, what are you doing coming here for?”

The border is closed, except to Chinese nationals, and the land route through the city had become one of few options available for people trying to return home after Russia stopped flights to China except for those evacuating people.

Some Chinese citizens — they want to come back, but it's not very sensible, what are you doing coming here for?

facebook_solo.svg 
twitter_solo.svg

Streets in Suifenhe were virtually empty on Sunday evening due to restrictions on movement and gatherings announced last week, when authorities took preventative measures similar to those imposed in Wuhan, the central Chinese city where the pandemic ripping round the world first emerged late last year.

The total number of confirmed cases in mainland China stood at 82,160 as of Sunday. At the peak of the first wave of the epidemic on Feb 12 there were over 15,000 new cases, though that was a one-off spike following the deployment of new testing methods.

Though the number of daily infections across China has dropped sharply from that peak, China has seen the daily toll creep higher after hitting a trough on March 12 because of the rise in imported cases.

Chinese cities near the Russian frontier are tightening border controls and imposing stricter quarantines in response.

Suifenhe and Harbin, the capital of Heilongjiang, are now mandating 28 days of quarantine as well as nucleic acid and antibody tests for all arrivals from abroad.

In Shanghai, authorities found that 60 people who arrived on Aeroflot flight SU208 from Moscow on April 10 have the coronavirus, Zheng Jin, a spokeswoman for the Shanghai Municipal Health Commission, told a press conference on Monday.

Pang Xinghuo, deputy director of the Center for Diseases Prevention and Control in Beijing, said the trend for local transmission of the disease in the capital was low.

“Imported cases are still the highest risk in Beijing in the second half of April,” Pang said, adding that nearly eight per cent of the 40,000 nucleic acid tests carried out in the city since April 1 had been conducted on people who had come from abroad.

China has cut the number of people crossing its borders by 90% and has tried to stop all non-essential journeys, said Liu Haitao, an immigration official, at a separate briefing.

“Our border is long, and apart from the border crossings and passages, there are a large number of mountain passes, paths, ferry crossings and small roads, and the situation is very complicated,” he said.

Residents in Suifenhe said a lot of people had left the city fearing contagion, but others put their trust in authorities’ containment measures.

“I don’t need to worry,” Zhao Wei, another Suifenhe resident, told Reuters. “If there’s a local transmission, I would, but there’s not a single one. They’re all from the border, but they’ve all been sent to quarantine.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/update-3-russian-border-becomes-chinas-frontline-in-fight-against-second-virus-wave

Edited by Guest

My favourite Bachelor, Colton Underwood, had Covid but has recovered.  Here's an example of a super fit, young guy with it.  Said that even walking to the washroom was difficult...felt like a 3 mile run to get there.  

Is donating blood/plasma for research.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

doesn't that sound more like reactivation vs re-infection? it seems more like it can hang around an low enough levels the test isn't sensitive enough to get vs. getting it twice. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

doesn't that sound more like reactivation vs re-infection? it seems more like it can hang around an low enough levels the test isn't sensitive enough to get vs. getting it twice. 

Maybe, but doesn't that throw the effectiveness of tests into question?

If so, then how much money has been spent on deficient tests?

People will use this virus outbreak to earn their masters degrees.

going to be questions asked for years, hope society doesn't get so busy looking for answers, that they forget to work on solutions.

28 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It can be stressful being out....I had to go to the grocery store for Dad and I.  Opted to parallel park on the street rather than in the lot (I'm even social distance parking to avoid two people getting out of the car in close proximity).

Had the windows open and all of a sudden the woman from the car behind me (that I was parking in front of) decided to "help"...as I had my head completely turned to the right at one point, she snuck up to my open window and was standing RIGHT THERE, telling me how to park (I ace parallel parking...was my one strong point in driving).  Worst thing was, she was eating, full on open mouth, as she was talking.  My instinct was I immediately rolled up the window!  At which point she said "oh, sorry, sorry...forgot"!!  Not good enough.  I was stressed afterward.

I hate going out right now....too many covidiots running around out there.  The sun is a bit problematic because so many are wandering around. 

Same with the Covidot (i wonder if this will be a new word in the dictionary) Joggers that pass beside you and cut closely right in front leaving you to breathe in their Vapour even though there is plenty of room to avoid doing that.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

potentially bad news regarding transmission rates:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/the-virus-that-causes-covid-19-could-be-even-more-contagious-than-previously-thought-a-new-study-finds/ar-BB12yPFk?ocid=spartandhp

The virus that causes COVID-19 could be even more contagious than previously believed, a new study released last week found.

In the early days of the outbreak in China, the number of infected people doubled every 2.3 to 3.3 days as opposed to the six to seven days that was previously believed, the study found.

That means that the initial R₀ number, which is the number of people that an infected person is expected to infect, is also much higher. Most experts had that number pegged at 2.2 to 2.7, but the researchers believe it something closer to 5.7.

The finding were published in an early release article from the Los Alamos National Laboratory and posted on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website on Tuesday.

The researchers said the findings illustrate the need for active surveillance of confirmed cases and contact tracing , which means figuring out who they have been in contact with. The researchers also argue for quarantines and early and strong social distancing measures.

The higher level of infectiousness also means that herd immunity will be harder to achieve. With a lower R₀, such as 2.2, only 55 per cent of the population would have to be infected or vaccinated to achieve herd immunity. With an R₀ of 5.7, that number rises to 82 per cent.

The study also hammers down the trajectory of the disease once a person is infected.

The researchers estimate that the incubation period, or the time it takes to feel symptoms after being infected is 4.2 days, which is consistent with other estimates.

The average amount of time it takes before a person is hospitalized after feeling symptoms varies considerably. Before human-to-human transmissions were being reported in China, it took 5.5 days on average for a person to be hospitalized. After Jan. 18 that number shortened to 1.5 days. 

The average time from hospital admittance to discharge was 11.5 days and the average time in hospital before a person died from the disease was 11.2 days. The time from symptom-onset to death was 16.1 days. 

The researchers pored through publicly available case data for confirmed COVID-19 cases and looked at travel data from China. In particular, they looked at data collected outside the disease’s epicentre of Wuhan in Hubei Province to avoid data problems caused by the overwhelmed health care systems and changes in how authorities responded to the disease.

By the time COVID-19 reached other provinces beyond Hubei, the authorities had access to diagnostic kits and were actively tracking people from Wuhan.

During a briefing Thursday, Canadian health officials said they estimated that before stronger public health measures were introduced each infected Canadian infected 2.2 other people on average.

There are a few reasons why the numbers from China in January could be higher. For one, the study estimates that somewhere between 40,000 and 140,000 people in Wuhan travelled outside of Hubei Province before the lockdown was imposed on Jan. 23.

“The extensive travel before the Lunar New Year was probably an important driver of the spread of COVID-19 in China,” the study says.

Canadian health officials also had the luxury of several months to prepare as they watched the outbreak sweep across the globe and instituted social distancing measures early on."

39 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

My favourite Bachelor, Colton Underwood, had Covid but has recovered.  Here's an example of a super fit, young guy with it.  Said that even walking to the washroom was difficult...felt like a 3 mile run to get there.  

Is donating blood/plasma for research.

That guy was a tool.

What's his name, Garrett I think, was way cooler until we found out he's actually pretty dam racist. But still, don't trust Colton. He's full of spit. I don't buy the whole 27 year old virgin thing for a second.

14 hours ago, The Lock said:

Except it's the small number of people that often ruin things for everyone. Laws are literally made so that the small number of people will comply with them. Video games are changed due to a small number of people exploiting them.

In this case, it's the "small number of people" killing other people through transmitting the disease. It doesn't matter how many or how few there are. The fact that there are people not complying puts everyone else at risk. Period.

Like I said before, I would love to have your faith in humanity, but I kind of think it would be better suited to being a positive mindset believing we'll get through this rather than ignoring what people are doing in prolonging this disease. Again, the numbers don't matter here. The very fact that they're risking our lives over their ignorance of all of this is what angers me in the end. I have no sympathy for those people at all if they aren't willing to sympathize with everyone else.

right

except you for overlooking

that we got to where we are because the vast majority did as recommended

so not sure why you still wish to focus on the minority

you want rules for the minority who won't follow them anyway

i'd rather see more realistic rules for everyone

with some enforcement for those who breach