The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

With all due respect Bree going camping and seeing your family is not an essential service.  Sending kids back to school in a safe way will allow daycare to open again and will allow parents to go back to work so they can feed their families.  We can't shut down the economy forever and destroy the country because of a virus that has only killed 140 people in all of BC, most over the age of 70 or with a pre-existing condition. 

Young people deserve to have a life and not have their future lives ruined because of this virus.  My parents would want me and the young people in this country to have a future.  My parents have already lived a full life.  Why would they want my life destroyed in order to try and protect them?  All I hear in this thread is trying to protect the elderly and sick people.  If I go out and try to have a life I am risking killing somebody's parents.  Nothing but fear mongering in this thread for the past 2 1/2 months which is why I barely post in here anymore.

Every life is important, not just your parents lives.  People are dying of suicide, drug overdoses, depression because of this virus, it's not only the people actually getting the virus that are dying.  People can't get surgeries that can save their lives.  The economy is going into the tank.  If we stay closed for 2 more months like this our economy may be permanently damaged.  Is that the cost we are supposed to pay for this virus?  To ruin the life of every young person out there and their future because somebody's parents might die if I decide to go outside?

Are we supposed to wait for a vaccine before we can leave the house?  That might take a year or more.  You think anyone will be going back to their job in a year?  You think those jobs will still be around?  

I think BC has done a great job in handling this whole situation.  140 people have died out of a population of over 5 million.  That is absolutely phenomenal when you look at other areas of the country and other countries.  I trust Dr. Bonnie Henry to do the right thing as she has done the right thing this whole time.  If she says certain people can go back to work and kids can go back to school in a SAFE way then I trust her 100%.  Dr. Henry has a plan to re-open BC in a safe way.  It's already been outlined in detail.  Enough with the fear mongering.  Let's get back to work and start enjoying our lives again.  We WILL get through this.  

actually Langley and Abbotsford have an outbreak yesterday and today.  it is not fear mongering,  it is common sense to keep the kids at home until at least Sept. if you look at the numbers in Canada alone, most deaths are in the 20 to 49 yr and 49 to 60  range. I could be wrong. but I read that just yesterday. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Interesting that you think attending school 8 days in June to work on their online material is .....  your definition of having a life.

Schools should have waited till Sept and then opened.   8 days of a few kids in a classroom spread out....   Just not worth the risk.

It's not just about the kids or the 8 days.  It's also about the parents being able to go back to work and feed their families.  If they can get things going in June and understand what is needed in order to keep people safe then come September they will have an even better knowledge and grasp of how to handle this situation.  We don't need to wait for September to re-open the Province.  We can do it safely next month with all the proper measures put in place by Dr. Henry and the Provincial government.  I trust their judgement.  3 more months of everyone simply staying at home will completely destroy this country for generations to come.  JUST NOT WORTH THE RISK...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bree2 said:

actually Langley and Abbotsford have an outbreak yesterday and today.  it is not fear mongering,  it is common sense to keep the kids at home until at least Sept. if you look at the numbers in Canada alone, most deaths are in the 20 to 49 yr and 49 to 60  range. I could be wrong. but I read that just yesterday. 

Yes you are wrong.  The average age of death in BC is 86 years old.  Only 2 people have died under the age of 70.  This is coming from Dr. Bonnie Henry.  You should watch her daily updates to get the most accurate information.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's not just about the kids or the 8 days.  It's also about the parents being able to go back to work and feed their families. 

How is having daycare 2 days a week for 4 weeks in June really going to impact people going to work long term.

You are reaching.....

Horgan has rolled the dice...  and now we will see what happens.  Very poor decision  i  feel. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes you are wrong.  The average age of death in BC is 86 years old.  Only 2 people have died under the age of 70.  This is coming from Dr. Bonnie Henry.  You should watch her daily updates to get the most accurate information.  

All lives matter whatever age they are.  Sweden has sacrificed their senior population..

I don't we in Canada should treat our elderly like that.   

8 days of school in June is not important enough to sacrifice lives for. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bree2 said:

what the fuck GIF

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

All lives matter whatever age they are.  Sweden has sacrificed their senior population..

I don't we in Canada should treat our elderly like that.   

8 days of school in June is not important enough to sacrifice lives for. 

Yes that is right.  ALL lives matter, including the people who are dying because of suicide, depression, drug overdoses and because they can't feed their families. 

Who said anything about treating the elderly badly?  Most of the elderly who have died have been living in a senior's home.  It's unfortunate the virus spread to those places but what are we supposed to do?  They should be doing a better job at protecting seniors who live alone and who live in a long term care facility or senior's home.  People going back to work is not putting those elderly people at risk.  They need to be better protected by following the advice of Dr. Bonnie Henry.  I have no idea what they are doing in those long term care facilities.  Maybe the government should find out what their protocols are in how they deal with their patients and residents.  Maybe an investigation needs to be done.  Why are there so many outbreaks in these places?  That question needs to be answered.  If my parents were in a long term care home I would do everything humanly possible to try and protect them, so I would be the first one asking these questions.

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Cherry picking the best room in the school to house 3-4 kids....  that will not be how schools look going forward.

I guessed you missed this part...

"Hollyburn Elementary School in West Vancouver is one of a number of public and independent school sites around the province that remain open to serve the children of essential workers and children that need special supports."

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

I guessed you missed this part...

"Hollyburn Elementary School in West Vancouver is one of a number of public and independent school sites around the province that remain open to serve the children of essential workers and children that need special supports."

LOL. 

Yah 4 kids in a room with 6 adults working with them...    Sorry but this will not be how things go for most kids June 1. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, The 5th Line said:

If you were in agreement with the people making the decision to lock-down in the first place, how can you argue with them about re-opening?   Or am I way off base here? 

Locking down quick was smart.    Throwing the dice for 8 days of students attending school in June to work on their online homework.... Now that is not smart....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

If you were in agreement with the people making the decision to lock-down in the first place, how can you argue with them about re-opening?   Or am I way off base here? 

No you are not.  The same people who said we should lock down are now saying we should open up.  In both cases they are correct and are putting safety measures in place to safely re-open.  The people who want to stay in lock down forever or until there is a vaccine are now going to start questioning Dr. Bonnie Henry and the government because it doesn't suit their argument.  

I have trusted Dr. Bonnie Henry from the beginning and I trust her 100% now. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No you are not.  The same people who said we should lock down are now saying we should open up.  In both cases they are correct and are putting safety measures in place to safely re-open.  The people who want to stay in lock down forever or until there is a vaccine are now going to start questioning Dr. Bonnie Henry and the government because it doesn't suit their argument.  

I have trusted Dr. Bonnie Henry from the beginning and I trust her 100% now. 

Many americans trust Trump as well.  Blind faith is not smart. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

LOL. 

Yah 4 kids in a room with 6 adults working with them...    Sorry but this will not be how things go for most kids June 1. 

That is just one of the many schools throughout the province.  I doubt they are all doing the same thing.  Regardless, these schools were opened during the worst of our Covid-19 #s when there was far less known about the virus.  The infection rate in the Interior, the Island and the North is very small now.  Even in the other 2 more populated health systems, the infection rate has fallen off.  The experts believe the level of safety is high, as long as people continue to follow the public guidelines.

Returning to school in June is a voluntary process.  I expect that the numbers will be small.  Baby steps.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Because the experts here on CDC think they know better than the other CDC.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Many americans trust Trump as well.  Blind faith is not smart. 

No blind faith isn't smart, I would agree with that.  But I will certainly put more trust on Dr. Bonnie Henry who has led us to this point and has done a fantastic job over others who don't even have a medical background and are simply giving their opinions in this thread.  You are definitely entitled to your opinion and I respect what you say, but at the end of the day if an actual decision has to be made then Dr. Bonnie Henry is the one to make it not us, and I trust her 100%...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Trump is not an expert on pandemics.  Unwarranted comment.

Remember. - stay safe everyone.  Hand washing is super important.

Hopefully the BC gov can spend some money and put a sink in school classrooms.....   hard to hand wash with out water and a sink.....   for our students going back to school....  

death-chart.jpg

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BPA said:

Yep.  

Also what I heard as well.

Most likely if this works out, you'll see something like this come September.   And we can work out the bugs before the new school year starts.

We won't be going back to normal classes unless the virus disappears or a vaccine is available.

• Upvote 1