The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Unless the custodian gets sick then they only replace half the time and the school just gets the gloss over. That is why some still go in sick because if they miss a couple days it takes a week or more to catch up. 

No argument here.  CUPE get better benefits than teachers, but we have more sick days.  In our district, CUPE members get 6 paid sick days per school year.  It's ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Much like schools in Alberta the hospitals are less clean too. My daughter is a RN and was working in Alberta. Saw it first hand. 
Part of the problem is that a lot of people think being a custodian is just a minimum wage job and it takes no knowledge or skill. However with today’s technology in cleaning products, waxes etc. an untrained custodian can very quickly do more damage than good and be downright dangerous. 

This pandemic has revealed which jobs are truly essential, that's for sure.  Right now, our custodian is the most essential member of our staff

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

No argument here.  CUPE get better benefits than teachers, but we have more sick days.  In our district, CUPE members get 6 paid sick days per school year.  It's ridiculous.

Are you frigging kidding me they used to have 12 and when my wife worked at the schools it was common for us to have a cold 4 times a year. 3 days per cold uses that up no problem. Note: I have not had more than one cold a year since and no colds the last 2 years. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Are you frigging kidding me they used to have 12 and when my wife worked at the schools it was common for us to have a cold 4 times a year. 3 days per cold uses that up no problem. Note: I have not had more than one cold a year since and no colds the last 2 years. 

That's my district, they bargain most of their language locally. I know my daughter gets more in VSB.  Six paid sick days, for people who work in a building with 500 little virus factories is criminal, imo 

As I said, they have a far superior benefit package than teachers.  I suppose sick days was a trade off

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 1

Just now, spur1 said:

Kids spread germs because they are kids. Anytime I've gotten the flu, it's usually over Christmas because one of my two nieces kids has got a cold or flu. Unfortunately the stakes are higher now. Maybe parents teaching their own kids will make government and parents realize what a tough job teachers do. As bad as our teachers wages are here, they are infinitely better than what teachers get in the US. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Kids spread germs because they are kids. Anytime I've gotten the flu, it's usually over Christmas because one of my two nieces kids has got a cold or flu. Unfortunately the stakes are higher now. Maybe parents teaching their own kids will make government and parents realize what a tough job teachers do. As bad as our teachers wages are here, they are infinitely better than what teachers get in the US. 

One of my jobs is early literacy intervention, which means I work one on one or in small groups and the last day before spring break, three of my group members sneezed all over me, even though we were supposed to sneeze into elbows etc.  Trying to keep these kids apart and hygienic for the last month of the year is going to be non stop.  There won't be any learning done.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Bad wage to be a teacher? they make decent coin and get what 3 months plus off with all the holidays kids get these days. I would love to make 60-70 grand by only working 75% of the year.

I know they do work on some pro d days and a bit during spring break but they get more time off than any other year round full time job

• Wat 2

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

If you were in agreement with the people making the decision to lock-down in the first place, how can you argue with them about re-opening?   Or am I way off base here? 

REALLY?! Just because someone agrees with one decision, doesn't mean they have to agree with another decision! They are separate things. They're human and this is unprecedented...not every decision will be right or perfect. I've agreed with most things they've done, but not everything including opening schools now...although i'm okay with some special exceptions in that regard. That being said, we are not risking things in this household for what will equate to 6-8 days of school. They'll get some decisions right and some wrong and that's okay, but we are aloud to agree to disagree in certain cases.

• Cheers 3

43 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Depends where you live.
Average teacher salary where I live is around 70k some districts go 100k plus a year.

Which is 100-150k in CAD, how much your teachers make?

Edited by CBH1926
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, skategal said:

Yikes!  I hope you know some teachers personally and understand how much time outside the classroom they spend working, and how much of their own money they spend on supplies for the kids and the classroom.  Pretty common for teachers to be marking homework in the evenings and weekends at home during the school year, coming into the classroom on weekends to prep for the next week if the room needed decorating or whatever.  Buying supplies to make crafts or special projects, providing essential supplies for kids that don't have enough, buying snacks for kids that don't have enough food.  

Maybe not every teacher does this, but the good ones do.  

Absolutely teachers spend huge amounts of time working outside of school hours.  I'd say most work a full 8 hour day, then do 2-3 hours at night.........certainly less experienced teachers do.  More than that, I spend around a thousand dollars a year out of my own pocket to pay for things that aren't in the school budget, just so the kids get what they need.

However, when all is said and done, I don't have all that much to complain about as far as my pay goes, but I'm at the top of the salary scale, only have one kid and live a pretty simple life.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

This is a bit dramatic..."every"?  Most young people I know are just fine and are making the best of a bad situation.  With all due respect, Petey...this is a little whiney because you can still do a whole lot of things.  "Life is ruined" for young people?  Visit a children's hospital cancer ward then put it into perspective.

I watched as my 6 year old little buddy Jackson was carried in to the house after chemo.  That's worth crying over.

No one said this?  Everyone can leave their house...we're just being asked to be careful and take precautions.  

It's a bit of an exaggerated stance you're taking.

Life will go on, just not for the 140.    So try to have respect for those who have died rather than just using them as a number to prove a point with.  Those are human beings, each and every one of them.

I think I’m going to stick to just stealing your chips Deb. See you later...  :)

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, skategal said:

Yikes!  I hope you know some teachers personally and understand how much time outside the classroom they spend working, and how much of their own money they spend on supplies for the kids and the classroom.  Pretty common for teachers to be marking homework in the evenings and weekends at home during the school year, coming into the classroom on weekends to prep for the next week if the room needed decorating or whatever.  Buying supplies to make crafts or special projects, providing essential supplies for kids that don't have enough, buying snacks for kids that don't have enough food.  

Maybe not every teacher does this, but the good ones do.  

That also applies to many jobs.  People make it sound like teachers are the only ones spending their own money, go look at anyone in the trades, we need to buy work boots constant, need new PPE because things gets damaged, have to replace our tools as they wear out, etc.  Yea it sucks spending money on your job but sometimes thats part of it, especially if you want to do things certain ways to teach kids.  I had teachers who did lots of things, I also had teachers who did absoultely nothing outside of textbooks that wasn't in their budget.  My dad was a teacher, and my best friend is a teacher.  I know what kind of work they do but they may put in a few hours in the evenings or weekends but they still get 3+ months off a year and still get paid a pretty darn good wage with guaranteed pension, good benefits, etc.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Please ... compared to most they are well paid and their pensions are gold. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Teachers are doing attendance and daily check ins and if they don't hear from them at least once during the week, admin and the district do a physical follow up with the family.  At least that's how it's working in my district.

I'm thinking of kids that might slip into some negative habits or mental health issues if there's no contact at all, just online stuff. A few kids will love it but its really important for kids in particular that have social anxiety to get out in the world. I'm worried for those kids, it will be very hard for them to go back to a normal routine after being in the cocoon of home and online learning. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm thinking of kids that might slip into some negative habits or mental health issues if there's no contact at all, just online stuff. A few kids will love it but its really important for kids in particular that have social anxiety to get out in the world. I'm worried for those kids, it will be very hard for them to go back to a normal routine after being in the cocoon of home and online learning. 

Absolutely, it's a huge concern for us.  Our district, through admin, deliver breakfast and lunch, everyday, to at risk kids who aren't getting fed properly or are in vulnerable situations at home.

• Cheers 3