The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Health Canada approves first clinical trial for possible coronavirus vaccine

The first Canadian clinical trials of a potential COVID-19 vaccine have been approved by Health Canada, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says.

Speaking from Rideau Cottage on Saturday, he told reporters the vaccine trials will be conducted out of the Canadian Centre for Vaccinology at Dalhousie University.

“Research and development take time and must be done right,” he said. “But this is encouraging news.”.....

https://globalnews.ca/news/6952634/coronavirus-vaccine-trials-trudeau/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalBC&fbclid=IwAR06UoDCliw7tRjlYEzxt1qb41XaPCJKPeI0c0uf4ToZ24ZfNiRHd0jIIb4

• Cheers 2

Schools have to return. 

Not every parent is fortunate enough to work at home.  People have lost their jobs due to the lockdown.   

Do you honestly expect Government to go bankrupt and send CERB cheques for life?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

Schools have to return. 

Not every parent is fortunate enough to work at home.  People have lost their jobs due to the lockdown.   

Do you honestly expect Government to go bankrupt and send CERB cheques for life?

I'd wait till September. 

But this June 1 launch is limited, from what I hear

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'd wait till September. 

I don't think we're "experimenting" on our kids, its not like kids would have been shielded from the world and allowing some to go back for a class is a new exposure. We know that distancing, hand washing, etc. prevents the spread, and some parents simply have no other choice. I don't see how its any riskier than daycare which has to open as well to get people back to work.

If this helps teachers come up with some easy to disseminate best practices for a full open i don't see the issue here. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'd wait till September. 

Alberta isn't going back to school this semester. I'm not even sure if we've got a full commitment that school starting back up in September. I find it strange BC is being so quick to jump to things given they are the tourist capital of the country it may have consequences.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think we're "experimenting" on our kids, its not like kids would have been shielded from the world and allowing some to go back for a class is a new exposure. We know that distancing, hand washing, etc. prevents the spread, and some parents simply have no other choice. I don't see how its any riskier than daycare which has to open as well to get people back to work.

If this helps teachers come up with some easy to disseminate best practices for a full open i don't see the issue here. 

It won't be a full opening in September, it'll still be small classes on alternating days........it just won't be voluntary.

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My sis is a school board superintendent here on the Island. She was over last night saying it looks like one day a week per grade just for 4 weeks, till the end of June, and it's voluntary.

I kinda think why bother?  better safe than sorry.

K-5 will be split into two groups, coming on alternating days, with Fridays for distance learning.

6-12 will be one day a week, the rest is distance learning

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Jeesh, I feel for everyone in this situation of what/how to reopen schools.  Kids want to see their friends, suffering from isolation. Kids also needing help with getting engaged with online learning.  Parents need help with daycare if they are going back to work, also want their kids to not lose too much in terms of expected learning at the age/grade they are at.  Teachers concerned for their safety and potential exposure to virus.  I don't know if there is any "right" answer.  

I talked to one teacher who was totally frustrated with online learning, he was high school, felt like most of the kids he was teaching really weren't engaged, weren't doing the work, didn't really care.  Survey I saw recently indicated that kids are bored, not engaged with online learning so perhaps this restart is an attempt to find that middle ground that will work in the fall?  Online learning seems to be the way forward at all levels from K to Uni.  Heard that some grade 12's are considering a gap year rather than starting Uni next fall in an online format.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Schools have to return. 

no, but I wouldn't want children to be used as an experiment,  and no they don't have to return!  you can't go camping and you can't see all your family but you can send kids to school? 

Edited by bree2
  • Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

K-5 will be split into two groups, coming on alternating days, with Fridays for distance learning.

6-12 will be one day a week, the rest is distance learning

Yep.  

Also what I heard as well.

Most likely if this works out, you'll see something like this come September.   And we can work out the bugs before the new school year starts.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, bree2 said:

no, but I would want children to be used as an experiment,  and no they don't have to return! 

Yeah.  It all voluntary.  

But I know a few parents hurting cuz of loss jobs.  They can go back to work only if their kids go to school.  Well at least  part time at least.

Everybody situation is different.  And some are more fortunate than others.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

It would be good if the parents of kids going on shifts at school, could work for their employer on the same shift. In 2008 I had a job that allowed me to work two days a week at home. It helped a lot because it was over an hour commute each way when I did go into work. Perhaps with what the last two months have been like, employers may have a different viewpoint of working at home.

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yep.  

Also what I heard as well.

Most likely if this works out, you'll see something like this come September.   And we can work out the bugs before the new school year starts.

A great many essential service workers have had their kids in school for some time now and the schools have managed to figure out a system(s) to keep everyone healthy so far.  I'm sure the essential service workers care just as much about their children as anyone else, so I would think they feel comfortable with the situation. 

This is the new normal and there will be quite a learning curve ahead for all of us; especially our children.  I agree with you that it is better to start the process very slowly, while there are so few children that will be returning to schools.  I think it wiser to have the schools, teachers, maintenance teams and experienced children well prepared and ready for the onslaught in the fall.  It will be a tremendous amount of work/commitment by everyone involved in the school system and we have no idea how long this virus will be a threat.

The following link is about a school in West Vancouver that has adapted to the new normal in an effort to support our essential service workers' children and children with various disabilities.  It's a fascinating read and I was left thinking that this next generation may grow up to be very in tune with their environment, as well as the people around them. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/covid-19-bc-essential-worker-schools-may-be-sign-of-our-future/ar-BB14306P

1 hour ago, skategal said:

Jeesh, I feel for everyone in this situation of what/how to reopen schools.  Kids want to see their friends, suffering from isolation. Kids also needing help with getting engaged with online learning.  Parents need help with daycare if they are going back to work, also want their kids to not lose too much in terms of expected learning at the age/grade they are at.  Teachers concerned for their safety and potential exposure to virus.  I don't know if there is any "right" answer.  

I talked to one teacher who was totally frustrated with online learning, he was high school, felt like most of the kids he was teaching really weren't engaged, weren't doing the work, didn't really care.  Survey I saw recently indicated that kids are bored, not engaged with online learning so perhaps this restart is an attempt to find that middle ground that will work in the fall?  Online learning seems to be the way forward at all levels from K to Uni.  Heard that some grade 12's are considering a gap year rather than starting Uni next fall in an online format.  

I think the engagement part is very important, a lot of kids are going to slip through the cracks if teachers can't check in on them at least once a week in person. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

no, but I wouldn't want children to be used as an experiment,  and no they don't have to return!  you can't go camping and you can't see all your family but you can send kids to school? 

With all due respect Bree going camping and seeing your family is not an essential service.  Sending kids back to school in a safe way will allow daycare to open again and will allow parents to go back to work so they can feed their families.  We can't shut down the economy forever and destroy the country because of a virus that has only killed 140 people in all of BC, most over the age of 70 or with a pre-existing condition. 

Young people deserve to have a life and not have their future lives ruined because of this virus.  My parents would want me and the young people in this country to have a future.  My parents have already lived a full life.  Why would they want my life destroyed in order to try and protect them?  All I hear in this thread is trying to protect the elderly and sick people.  If I go out and try to have a life I am risking killing somebody's parents.  Nothing but fear mongering in this thread for the past 2 1/2 months which is why I barely post in here anymore.

Every life is important, not just your parents lives.  People are dying of suicide, drug overdoses, depression because of this virus, it's not only the people actually getting the virus that are dying.  People can't get surgeries that can save their lives.  The economy is going into the tank.  If we stay closed for 2 more months like this our economy may be permanently damaged.  Is that the cost we are supposed to pay for this virus?  To ruin the life of every young person out there and their future because somebody's parents might die if I decide to go outside?

Are we supposed to wait for a vaccine before we can leave the house?  That might take a year or more.  You think anyone will be going back to their job in a year?  You think those jobs will still be around?  

I think BC has done a great job in handling this whole situation.  140 people have died out of a population of over 5 million.  That is absolutely phenomenal when you look at other areas of the country and other countries.  I trust Dr. Bonnie Henry to do the right thing as she has done the right thing this whole time.  If she says certain people can go back to work and kids can go back to school in a SAFE way then I trust her 100%.  Dr. Henry has a plan to re-open BC in a safe way.  It's already been outlined in detail.  Enough with the fear mongering.  Let's get back to work and start enjoying our lives again.  We WILL get through this.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

A great many essential service workers have had their kids in school for some time now and the schools have managed to figure out a system(s) to keep everyone healthy so far.  I'm sure the essential service workers care just as much about their children as anyone else, so I would think they feel comfortable with the situation. 

Cherry picking the best room in the school to house 3-4 kids....  that will not be how schools look going forward.

Many classes have no water / no sinks...  no exterior door to enter from.

Horgan has decided to throw the dice now and see how it goes..  Very poor strategy during a pandemic virus.

Interesting that 70 percent of the provinces in Canada have chose to be safe and not throw the dice. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Young people deserve to have a life and not have their future lives ruined because of this virus. 

Interesting that you think attending school 8 days in June to work on their online material is .....  your definition of having a life.

Schools should have waited till Sept and then opened.   8 days of a few kids in a classroom spread out....   Just not worth the risk.

Student: Now that some of us are back, sir, what will we be doing that's different from the online students?

Teacher: Not much. We'll be examing the online resources in more detail.

S: So I could just stay home?

T: Yes.

S: So why am I here?

T: Good question

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2