The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sabres re-sign Casey Mittelstadt

If I am not mistaken I think Mittelstadt was my 5th or 6th choice (I would shuffle between him and Vilardi and even Nolan Patrick). I think he was only behind Hischer, Heiskanen, Makar, and Glass.

I hope his NHL career will start to pick up but I am glad Vancouver didn't draft him and went for Pettersson (who I was furious at the time when Vancouver picked him )

Edited by iinatcc
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I was wondering the same thing and read this article on him

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/07/11/drafting-casey-mittelstadt-was-a-bad-idea/

Very interesting stuff, thanks.

Mittelstadt failed the infamous pull-up test, which has been a major source of high school ridicule for decades.

As soon as I saw that, I just hoped like heck we wouldn't draft a guy who is predicted to be a pro athlete, but couldn't even match the 'wimps' from school who could only do one.

(Would have loved to see his rope climb.)

3 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Very interesting stuff, thanks.

Mittelstadt failed the infamous pull-up test, which has been a major source of high school ridicule for decades.

As soon as I saw that, I just hoped like heck we wouldn't draft a guy who is predicted to be a pro athlete, but couldn't even match the 'wimps' from school who could only do one.

(Would have loved to see his rope climb.)

In his defence, I think he was fresh off of a shoulder injury or something like that. He did an interview not long after the draft where he was able to bang out a few pull-ups no problem. 

• Haha 1

Ultimately, Mittelstadt isn’t expected to blossom into anything close to what an eighth-overall pick should blossom into.

I have to say that struck a chord, we have a couple of picks ourselves that fit that description :lol:

Any way his path ahead looks clear ...... a 1 year contract ...start looking for destinations Europe Casey

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, shiznak said:

By your standards, so is Virtanen and Juolevi.

You’re only comparing my comment to age and draft position. Not career path to date nor are any of the players you mentioned even remotely close to the same type of player. Also I said who knows I could be wrong I just see red flags 

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

You’re only comparing my comment to age and draft position. Not career path to date nor are any of the players you mentioned even remotely close to the same type of player. Also I said who knows I could be wrong I just see red flags 

I’m comparing to trajectory of their career and age.

People say Juolevi and Virtanen are bust considering their draft position and the people around them and where they are at their careers. How can Mittelstadt be a bust when he’s only 22 years old, while Jake and Olli aren’t? Have both Juolevi and Virtanen lived up to their expectations?

21 minutes ago, shiznak said:

People say Juolevi and Virtanen are bust considering their draft position and the people around them and where they are at their careers. How can Mittelstadt be a bust when he’s only 22 years old, while Jake and Olli aren’t? Have both Juolevi and Virtanen lived up to their expectations?

Virtanen has already made it so I don’t see why people can say he’s a bust. He’s a top 9 forward and most likely a 20 goal scorer here on out (under a reg schedule). Jake has issues but thank the Canucks coaching staff for being patient with him. Now if he can find some consistency in his game he’s gonna have a long career. Jake may have had bigger expectations then that sure and there’s better players drafted after him but anytime you nab a 20 goal scorer in the first round it’s a win outside the elite/generational type players of course.

-Not a bust

Joulevi is a little late to the show considering he was drafted 5th overall. But having said that it’s rare a defencemen breaks into the NHL is his first 2 years of being pro. But of course there were a couple in his draft class to mess with my point lol. OJ would have played last year if it weren’t for the injury so that maybe puts him a behind in his development. He’s gotten better every year since his draft just ran into some bad luck. People look at his stats in Junior and it’s suggests that he didn’t improve in his second year but look at the team completely different. No Dvorak, Tkachuk etc! Then he started a little slow in Finland but was their top Dman by playoffs. Then then injuries in the AHL derailed his development a bit hence why we will see him start his full year in the NHL this year. 
-Not a bust but could be. I have my doubts though. I think he will turn out to be a solid top 4 guy. 

Mittlestadt It’s top 6 or bust. Reminds me of Goldobin in a way. He doesn’t have the speed or hitting ability of JV and he’s not a defencemen like OJ nor has he run into injuries. His numbers in the AHL are alarming for a guy that’s suppose to put up points. He was rushed into the NHL and that is usually not a good thing. I also do not have any faith in Buffalo’s player development? Do you? Like I said I might be wrong of course and not every 22 year old is a bust. There is also people that say Hughes and Kaako are busts and that’s ridiculous. Every player is different 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, shiznak said:

Not meeting expectations doesn't make you a bust. Olli has the chance to bust, but Jake can't. He's proven NHL talent. Mittelstadt isn't NHL level talent and hasn't made any improvements the last couple years. Which could be argued is Buffalo's fault. He's probably played 100 more NHL games than he should have. He still has a chance to become something, but at this stage with the way his development is going it's not looking good. Virtanen has been trending upwards (despite most fan's desires to trash him every chance they get) every year since his sophomore year. So it makes no sense to put him in the conversation unless you really just can't stop thinking about Virtanen.