The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Warning: Contains inappropriate language.

Spoiler
  Hide contents

I dunno, I think that's appropriate language when a goalie does that to you. Source: Goalies do that to me sometimes. And when I play in net it's even sweeter to do it.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Good on him!   This is definitely something that needs work....HIT THE NET!

And the Fly-bys. I *hate* guys that do flybys.

Shoot it, follow your shot and get the puck back or jam away until the whistle goes, or it goes in. It's not challenging, yes you'll get buried by a D-man but sometimes you'll draw a penalty from that bury which is even sweeter.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Reading that Baer's working his tail off....I'm so in his corner and hoping he makes it and has a great year.  There's no denying he has great offensive flair/touch when he's on his game.

For sure, always liked his skill level and a decent 200' player and there is a possible top 6-9 position available which is the only way he stays I believe.

Baer - Horvat- Pearson

rouss- Gauds- Jake

Sutts- beagle- Motte

Loui- Mac

23 minutes ago, nergish said:

That's a heck of a sequence. It looks like Miller back-checking, freeing the puck for Edler to find Petey (who calmly looks for the pass out of the zone), finds Schmidt in a position to start the rush (something our breakout has sorely lacked outside of Hughes) who then feeds Boeser for a breakaway?!

This is textbook stuff. Schmidt just brings that element where the switch to offense immediately engages.  

I said people were going to be pleasantly surprised with what Schmidt brings. He's a hell of a defender in all phases of play.

We did the same thing "to" Vegas that we did "to" Tampa bay. We got a really great player on a good deal for far less than "real" market value. I'm positively excited about it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

They're definitely going light on him though. I mean it is Motte, contact and greasy areas is kind of what he does. But he's getting "pinned" like it's beer league, not buried like it isn't. 

On 12/31/2020 at 6:52 AM, UKNuck96 said:

Yep will see how living with the Myers has changed things up. Not sure if it was a Virt thing to do or Myers brought him in either way I’m hoping that it pays off. 

not expecting him to be perfect all the time but some more professionalism and dedication would endear him a lot more 

Yep.  The thing that makes me uncomfortable about this - is back when I was 6-8 years younger then him I left the house (as did many people I knew  back then)  - not to play hockey but for other reasons - came back for a year or so a year later then was on my own after that without a job that paid enough to eat anything but rice and beans until rent was paid up.   Two-full time (18 hours a day between shifts - yes that  means I had six hours between shifts for a year) crap jobs for a year bought be a 17 year old truck.   No way Virtanen would suffer through that.  Just so I could go out on my own and start something. 

Then I started my life.  Here we are wondering if a change of atmosphere will get him to commit - for a 23-24 year old athlete who’s already made more money during his career then a lot of folks do in 40 years.       The “church of Virtanen” should start with that.   He’s so incredibly luckily to be playing in the NHL.   Myers I’ve liked since we picked him up and happy that he’s under his massive wingspan.   But I won’t have one iota of sympathy for him if he blows it.    Maybe that should be added to the “Church of Virtanen”.    Now that I have that out of my system - I’m sure that a lot of other have similar stories that grate on them when they see an entitled athlete not really try hard enough - and need a guy like Myers to set him up.   Still rooting for him.   But man has he ever had it easy up until now.  Thank you JB for calling him out with his lacklustre playoff performance and the fact others are breathing down his neck. 

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, brownky said:

They're definitely going light on him though. I mean it is Motte, contact and greasy areas is kind of what he does. But he's getting "pinned" like it's beer league, not buried like it isn't. 

It's not a real game, I don't think teammates are going to "bury" each other.