The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

How is Gadgy doing?

A big man with hands & the ability to play up to great players. Example Suzuki. Its always been a question > does he develop enough speed and pace to play NHL,,,

A bit discouraging no comments regarding Jonah. 

His speed must not be there yet?

Lots of moving parts still but I have a sneaky suspicion we could see the following unless there are any major changes in camp.  This would be my prediction as of now:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Baertschi Gaudette Virtanen

Roussel Sutter Motte

Extra: Beagle, MacEwen

Hughes Myers

Edler Schmidt

Joulevi Hamonic

Extra: Benn

Demko

Holtby

Edited by Kobayashi Maru

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  The thing that makes me uncomfortable about this - is back when I was 6-8 years younger then him I left the house (as did many people I knew  back then)  - not to play hockey but for other reasons - came back for a year or so a year later then was on my own after that without a job that paid enough to eat anything but rice and beans until rent was paid up.   Two-full time (18 hours a day between shifts - yes that  means I had six hours between shifts for a year) crap jobs for a year bought be a 17 year old truck.   No way Virtanen would suffer through that.  Just so I could go out on my own and start something. 

Then I started my life.  Here we are wondering if a change of atmosphere will get him to commit - for a 23-24 year old athlete who’s already made more money during his career then a lot of folks do in 40 years.       The “church of Virtanen” should start with that.   He’s so incredibly luckily to be playing in the NHL.   Myers I’ve liked since we picked him up and happy that he’s under his massive wingspan.   But I won’t have one iota of sympathy for him if he blows it.    Maybe that should be added to the “Church of Virtanen”.    Now that I have that out of my system - I’m sure that a lot of other have similar stories that grate on them when they see an entitled athlete not really try hard enough - and need a guy like Myers to set him up.   Still rooting for him.   But man has he ever had it easy up until now.  Thank you JB for calling him out with his lacklustre playoff performance and the fact others are breathing down his neck. 

You do understand the Church of Virtanen isn’t actually a real thing, right?

Right?

You seem awfully bent out of shape about it. 

Seems like he came to camp in better shape and is playing hard in practice. Not sure where this rant is coming from. 

• Cheers 4

43 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  The thing that makes me uncomfortable about this - is back when I was 6-8 years younger then him I left the house (as did many people I knew  back then)  - not to play hockey but for other reasons - came back for a year or so a year later then was on my own after that without a job that paid enough to eat anything but rice and beans until rent was paid up.   Two-full time (18 hours a day between shifts - yes that  means I had six hours between shifts for a year) crap jobs for a year bought be a 17 year old truck.   No way Virtanen would suffer through that.  Just so I could go out on my own and start something. 

Then I started my life.  Here we are wondering if a change of atmosphere will get him to commit - for a 23-24 year old athlete who’s already made more money during his career then a lot of folks do in 40 years.       The “church of Virtanen” should start with that.   He’s so incredibly luckily to be playing in the NHL.   Myers I’ve liked since we picked him up and happy that he’s under his massive wingspan.   But I won’t have one iota of sympathy for him if he blows it.    Maybe that should be added to the “Church of Virtanen”.    Now that I have that out of my system - I’m sure that a lot of other have similar stories that grate on them when they see an entitled athlete not really try hard enough - and need a guy like Myers to set him up.   Still rooting for him.   But man has he ever had it easy up until now.  Thank you JB for calling him out with his lacklustre playoff performance and the fact others are breathing down his neck. 

Not sure who that was claiming the Church of V isn’t real but SILENCE BLASPHEMER!!

CONSIDER YOURSELF EXCOMMUNICADO!

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

With the Sutter comment, wonder if we likely see Beagle, Sutter, and Gaudette in rotation throughout the season to keep them fresh.

I agree with his comments, Sutter seems to play better in the middle however, what does that mean ultimately for Gauds and Beagle.

13 hours ago, canuktravella said:

or moving pearson out  need cap space for tryamkin and podkolzin april 30 i expect pearson and  sutter and baertchi and benn to be traded at deadline  hopefully for pics 

miller petey boeser

hoglander horvat podzolkin

motte gaudette virtanen

roussel   beagle  macewen 

lind

hughes schmidt

edler myers 

juolevi tryamkin 

hamonic rafferty 

demko 

holtby 

iscrazy depth come playoffs 

I have to admit that looks pretty damn good! But its for the future. 

If rumours are true that Hamonic signs at a bargain? As long as Ferland is IR, we wont need cap space. 

And someone else will be injured.  There will be no need to sell.

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

Imagine if he he's good enough to stick on Bo's line AND Virtanen truly arrives... Might allow Green to experiment moving Pearson down...

Miller, Pettersson, Virtanen

Hoglander, Horvat, Boeser

Roussel, Gaudette, Pearson

Motte, Beagle, Sutter

:wub:

Maybe?

More likely than the Canucks being sellers, moving Pearson, others at the deadline. As suggested in another post.

Honestly, what about Benning / teams owned by Aquaman has ever suggested we will be sellers...

Last year at the fringe, we were buyers to give us the best chance. Just a reminder, the Tofu pattern. Fail to sell Hamhuis/// It is a clear profile?

6 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Lots of moving parts still but I have a sneaky suspicion we could see the following unless there are any major changes in camp.  This would be my prediction as of now:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Baertschi Gaudette Virtanen

Roussel Sutter Motte

Extra: Beagle, MacEwen

Hughes Myers

Edler Schmidt

Joulevi Hamonic

Extra: Benn

Demko

Holtby

I think you’re very close, based on the cards Green is showing so far.

It’s possible you see Myers and Hamonic swapping places, from where you have them. Seems like the team is legitimately interested in giving Juolevi-Myers a real look, and Chatfield is placeholding for Hamonic, while he completes his quarantine.

I also agree that Baertschi may force his way back into the lineup, as Eriksson forces his way down the the AHL. Gaudette’s wing seems a likely landing spot for Baer, and could be a good fit, based on the usage that line will likely see (as opposed to the “4th line,” which probably plays more minutes and certainly more defensive starts).

Looks like typical Green creativity with his lines and he obviously still has it out for Jake. Talked down on him in his interview and its only the beginning of training camp. Frustrating to see Wiily D like favortism from our coach, I thought we were past that.

• Wat 3

4 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I find Montreal an odd one. They're a fairly deep team now but I still think they lack top-end talent, or anything resembling it really. Is Price still good enough to carry a team?

Granted, some of the talent they may need to rely on is young?  Suzuki, Poehling, Kotkaniemi, Romanov. Notably at centre. 

Very, very strong on the wing, in goal? Weber & Chiarot are a aurprisingly good pair, Edmundson & Petry also good D men. 

Its also about physical match ups. Some speed, Gallagher, Mete... And size, Weber, Anderson.    

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think you’re very close, based on the cards Green is showing so far.

It’s possible you see Myers and Hamonic swapping places, from where you have them. Seems like the team is legitimately interested in giving Juolevi-Myers a real look, and Chatfield is placeholding for Hamonic, while he completes his quarantine.

I also agree that Baertschi may force his way back into the lineup, as Eriksson forces his way down the the AHL. Gaudette’s wing seems a likely landing spot for Baer, and could be a good fit, based on the usage that line will likely see (as opposed to the “4th line,” which probably plays more minutes and certainly more defensive starts).

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well.  Hamonic and Myers could easily be swapped.  From what I recall Myers may be a slightly better puck mover than Hamonic which is why they may try Joulevi with Myers to give Joulevi a bit of insulation that way.  Hughes needs no help so Hamonic with him may work fairly well too.

Baertschi has had a lot of time off to heal, but also to reflect a bit.  If his health issues are fully behind him, then I think he makes this team better.  He could add some real skill and drive to the third line which could actually make that line a bit of a threat against weaker D pairings.  

It's a bit odd to not have Beagle in the lineup, but Sutter is the slight upgrade here.  Beagle and MacEwen slot in pretty seamlessly when injuries hit.

Well with Vancouver sharing a AHL team with STL, it is going to be a development team for sure

I just see, Benn, Eriksson and Baertschi all being on the taxi squad (these guys all give the Canucks 1,075,000 relief each = 3,225,000 cap space (minus games played)

Add on Hawryluk, Rafferty and Kielly

I just ask my self, if I am GM......do I really want my young guys sitting for days and weeks?

I am pretty sure all these guys could pass waivers, anytime they are called up

The only guy that has a chance of being on the Canucks main roster is Hawryluk