The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Pierre-Luc Dubois

1 minute ago, c00kies said:

Maybe, but at least you have a player you can turn around and sell again.

Yeah, but you can get depth a helluva lot easier through free agency and trades. Star players are extremely difficult to get, and you should keep them at all costs or get another one in return. Stars also sell, which a market like Columbus needs to get fans.

If Laine asks for a trade out of Columbus next what GM is gonna want to touch a player like that? I already think he’s a primadonna.

Winning also sells tickets, and I personally don’t think Laine does much to elevate their team. He seems like a me first player that plays when he feels like it. The opposite type of player that Torts likes.

10 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Edit: the expansion draft also makes trading for depth less attractive.

I don’t think Columbus has expansion draft worries.

They’re actually pretty weak on forward especially if they lose Dubois, and outside of their top 3 D men they don’t have much.

If any team needs to turn a star into depth it’s Columbus.

Edited by DeNiro

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If Laine asks for a trade out of Columbus next what GM is gonna want to touch a player like that? I already think he’s a primadonna.

Winning also sells tickets, and I personally don’t think Laine does much to elevate their team. He seems like a me first player that plays when he feels like it. The opposite type of player that Torts likes.

Not only will he not get along with Torts, his numbers will likely take a nosedive on CBJ thanks to their depleted group of centers.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Not only will he not get along with Torts, his numbers will likely take a nosedive on CBJ thanks to their depleted group of centers.

Bingo.

And how do you think he’s gonna react to that in a contract year when he’s looking to cash in?

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean Kesler (who demanded a trade) got Bonino, Sbisa, and a first. I would take a Laine over that return if I'm trying to stay competitive.

1 minute ago, c00kies said:

I mean Kesler (who demanded a trade) got Bonino, Sbisa, and a first. I would take a Laine over that return if I'm trying to stay competitive.

Of course.

Different situation though since Kesler would only go to one team. Can’t compare the two.

Edited by DeNiro

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Of course.

Different situation though since Kesler would on go to one team. Can’t compare the two.

The similar part is where Columbus also wants immediate help at the same position (Bonino).  Personally I'd try to do a 3 way deal sending him to Edmonton with RNH being included in the return.

Edited by King Heffy

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep I’m sure kekalainen didn’t leak that story, nope.

GMs have their own network.  Doubt they need media to get their info. 

Teams interested probably know who they are up against and the type of package that is being offered.  Kekaleinen is surely trying to get them to bid against one another.  This trade request was known for a while.  Friedman was even surprised how long it took for them to get aware of it.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

GMs have their own network.  Doubt they need media to get their info. 

Teams interested probably know who they are up against and the type of package that is being offered.  Kekaleinen is surely trying to get them to bid against one another.  This trade request was known for a while.  Friedman was even surprised how long it took for them to get aware of it.  

Burke intentionally leaked trades to the media as per his book.  It's not unusual.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

will Gaudette + Virtanen + Podkolzin enough to compete with Laine + Roslovic? or do we have to add draft picks. 

Would not trade Podz and Gaudette for  both of those players cause a team has to have some depth and it would take a ton of cap space to keep both..  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Burke intentionally leaked trades to the media as per his book.  It's not unusual.

I know it happens.  Still don’t think GMs need media to tell them that other teams have interest too. 

Fwiw Lamoriello has apparently pulled trades because of leaks. Murray in Anaheim also stopped discussions with Carolina after a leak. 

Edited by mll

2 hours ago, Squamfan said:

montreal should trade Caufield, Kotkaniemi , first, second,

Yeah, if they can get a draft pick, awesome, or even a 2nd, but Caufield and Kokaniemi should get it done. The Kings would be able to make that deal too, any 2 prospects other than Byfeld and a pick would get it done. The Kings have so much high end talent in their pipeline, its nuts

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Would you trade Petey for Dubois straight up?

I roast Petey for being weak on his skates, but when he's on he's elite level. A few more years of physical maturity and he'll be a force, well more than he is now. His best has been a level ahead of Dubois' best. Buuuuuut, would be interesting to see Dubois in Greener's system, or really any offensively minded system, over Tort's more offensively limited one. But definitely not at the expense of Pettersson or even Horvat for that matter. A Dubois trade would be good for his career if he wants to stretch his scoring muscles more.

4 hours ago, Trebreh said:

will Gaudette + Virtanen + Podkolzin enough to compete with Laine + Roslovic? or do we have to add draft picks. 

I was thinking similar but you’d have to add Eriksson for cap reasons. Eriksson is owed a lot less money than his cap hit so it could be doable.

something like: Eriksson, Virtanen, podkolzin or Hoglander plus a first. Maybe a 2nd too 

Edited by brian42
  • Vintage 1