The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Shames | January 18, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

I am ok with the players 

we have the roster 

i am crucifying the coaching staff 

The coach can't make the players make a clean pass, can they? I don't think there is any way to blame this onto the coaching staff. The players are not performing well. They look slow are disconnected. Their passing is all over the place and players are not getting into the proper position.

I don't think this is coaching.

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Every coach brings HIS assistants and in every pro sport, the assistants are the coach’s call 

you know that 

Weird GM’s have hired and fired them. Also its the owners money you're playing with. You know that. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

One game from the conference finals with a team everyone picked to be a basement team. And Jack Adams talk lol he’s earned this season, period, end of story. 

I agree Newell should be gassed at least I've been saying that since he was rehired. 

If JB and Aqua believed Green is the guy he would have been extended 

If we lose the next 2 series the discussion has to begin 

i do agree at this point its too early and i was also on board with a show me year for green but so far, not seeing much 

43 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

I respectfully disagree. The reason we couldn't sign Markstrom is that we would have lost Demko to Seattle in the expansion draft. I am glad he did not give up on our longer term asset in Demko, even if that means some growing pains.

Rumbling was that Marky would go as low as 5 million times 5 to stay in Vancouver (same with what Lehner got in Vegas), however, he requested to have a NMC to protect him for the expansion draft. Seattle is the real reason why we lost Marky, If there isn't an expansion, we would have resigned Marky at $5 Million x 5 and kick the can down the road a little bit further to decide whether to keep him long term or go with Demko long term. It is a tough decision, but I support the Canucks management with this decision wholeheartedly.

I also like the acquisition this summer in bringing in Schmidt and Hamonic to solidify the blueline

However, I am absolutely upset at how lack of creativity JB was with the cap. He got us into this mess by overspending in the past summer. He should atleast move out 1 of Beagle, Roussel or Sutter to bring back Toffoli. There were rumour that in the morning that Toffoli signed with Montreal, JB was in the midst of working a trade to move Sutter and use his money to sign Toffoli. Rumour has it that he was close to a deal, but it was too late by then Toffoli signed a deal with Montreal. Then he didn't proceed with the trade anymore! Even an extra $4.375 million in cap could do wonders for this team as we can pick up more depth forward/defense to add depth to the team. We could have use this money to bring in a Mikael Granlund on a one year contract to solidify the top 6.

This shown lack of foresight and lack of planning on his part. He should make moving salaries the #1 priority since we got eliminated. Meanwhile, I don't doubt him making phone calls to other GMs every day, but he needs to be able to move those salaries. For example, the Rangers was able to move Staal and the Coyotes were able to get rid-off Stepan. Both were on arguably worse contracts than any one of Beagle, Sutter and Roussel. He also lack the creativity to cheat like other teams. E.g. Toronto did with Robidas and Lupul. I just wish he would've done more to get rid off our deadweights and give us better depth this season.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Weird GM’s have hired and fired them. Also its the owners money you're playing with. You know that. 

We do not have a weird GM 

from day 1 jb let Grreen pick his guys 

no way Brown should still be employed and  if your job depended on it would you stand there and warch brown screw it up?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

One game from the conference finals with a team everyone picked to be a basement team. And Jack Adams talk lol he’s earned this season, period, end of story. 

I agree Newell should be gassed at least I've been saying that since he was rehired. 

Probably easier to start with the assistants and go from there.  The team seems to need new energy or a new voice.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

The coach can't make the players make a clean pass, can they? I don't think there is any way to blame this onto the coaching staff. The players are not performing well. They look slow are disconnected. Their passing is all over the place and players are not getting into the proper position.

I don't think this is coaching.

The powerplay? The penalty kill? Thats all how we setup 

thats fully on the coaching 

the breakout? Thats on the coaches... its a system 

Just now, canuck2288 said:

They still need to make a pass from tape to tape.

"Luke Hughes"           Look at the bright side.    We have all of our picks this year.

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Re vamp roster + same staff = similar plays.  Pro sports is about adjustments and the staff seems to struggle making adjustments - imo.   Probably due to inexperience ?   

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

You think questioning our decisions is not supporting the team ? 

i happen to be the preeminent hockey expert on this forum so of course i am going to highlight changes that meed to be made to make MY team better 

Just fall into line and question nothing? Man you need to move to China or perhaps North Korea 

Lmao anyone that claims to be the “preeminent hockey expert of this forum” and then just spams FIRE GREEN every day is definitely not a hockey expert. You’re really full of yourself 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Petey40 said:

Lmao anyone that claims to be the “preeminent hockey expert of this forum” and then just spams FIRE GREEN every day is definitely not a hockey expert. You’re really full of yourself 

On the contrary, I think @canuck2288 is having fun. Although I do believe that they still want Green gone. 

Well well well, do people still think Markstrom should have been let go? The best goalie we've ever had who stood on his head to make a save wasn't resigned for some stupid reason. Why does Canuck mgmt. not hold onto the hardest playing members of the team? The harder you play, the more likely u r to be traded (Markstrom, Tanev, Stetcher,...). It seems like mgmt. respects players without grit, and sacrifice like Linden, Myers, Ericson, Virtanen,... who float around and don't impact the game. Losing faith in the team fast, even with all the talent, it's nothing without players who will sacrifice! Too many posers on the team, as usual.

Edited by Jwclau
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

Who made Markstrom what he is today? of course the Canucks did. sorry but i am pissed that Markstrom didn't pay it forward by not taking  a discount during covid times, when many players did. i find it quite selfish of Markstrom and Tanev, especially going to a rival team. it was was all about the money with the both of them. i am glad we let them both go and kept Demko and getting Smidt. both will end up being better as time goes on!

Not selfish. They deserved to get paid.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jwclau said:

Well well well, do people still think Markstrom should have been let go? The best goalie we've ever had who stood on his head to make a save wasn't resigned for some stupid reason.

Best goalie the Canucks have ever had? McLean and Luongo are way better goalies that Markstrom. They actually got the Canucks into the Finals. Did Markstrom? No, but Demko almost did. 

Just now, Jwclau said:

Why does Canuck mgmt. not hold onto the hardest playing members of the team? The harder you play, the more likely u r to be traded (Markstrom, Tanev, Stetcher,...).

Markstrom and Tanev are both on the wrong side of 30. Sure they're good players, but they're not going to peak anymore, especially Tanev. Stecher is a good player, but didn't possess any special traits that couldn't be replaced. 

Just now, Jwclau said:

It seems like mgmt. respects players without grit, and sacrifice like Linden, Myers,... who float around and don't impact the game. Losing faith in team team fast, even with all the talent, it's nothing without players who will sacrifice!

Linden didn't play with heart or grit? Myers was one of the only players who played with any consistency yesterday. 

Certainly the players aren't playing to anywhere near their potential, but that doesn't just fall on the players. It falls on the coaching staff too. Not taking a timeout when he had the opportunity was just plain dumb on Green's part. It's like he kicked himself in the foot, or something to that measure.

• Cheers 3