The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Shames | January 18, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Better coach = more wins

They looked like a team that quit on their coach last night to me too but I don't think thats it. 

The only player left from the back end from 2yrs ago is Edler, and that includes the goalies. Adding quality veterans like Hamonic and Schmidt to a young core is a chemistry experiment that hasn't worked itself out yet imo.

• Like 1

the problems aren't related to systems or line combinations or special teams or any other coaching or strategy related thing. the problems are lack of confidence and lack of belief. 

I'm really hoping that losing tanev, markstrom, and stecher hasn't completely gutted this group. the team bonded and got super tight with those guys here, including when 2 of their fathers died last season which acted as a major catalyst for the group becoming so tight. they were like family. similarly, I hope letting them go hasn't come across as disloyalty from the organization, planting a seed of doubt and resentment with the guys still here. 

I don't know. they just don't have the same pop. something is missing, and it looks like something intangible to me. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Wake me up when we’re ten games in, and I’ll check the results and decide whether or not it’s time for panicky changes to the roster and coaching staff.

Just a reminder: the 2020 Presidents’ Trophy winning Bruins lost three in a row twice, four in a row, and five in a row, during the 2019-20 season. The Cup winning Lightning lost three in a row and four in a row. It happens. To good teams, and to bad teams. We don’t know which the Canucks are yet.

What I do see: a lot of our forwards look snakebitten and we’ve had some really bad puck luck. A few goals here or there can dramatically change fortunes. Take last game. If we score on those first period chances, we likely blow the Flames out, and possibly chase Marky from the net. Instead, the Flames survive the first period, win the second, and we ultimately lose the game. Just about every NHL game has these storylines. If you don’t score on your chances, you usually lose. And we haven’t been putting the puck in the net. This allows for huge momentum shifts, when opponents score, and we’ve seen opponent having pretty good puck luck. They get a decent chance, they score. We don’t. And the game shifts.

That’s not to say that we’ve looked good and deserve a lot better. We’re around where we deserve to be, as far as record. Maybe should be 2 and 2 (last game would’ve been won in the first period on most nights), but 1 and 3 feels about right.

But our guys aren’t scoring on “gift” level scoring chances, and you can’t win that way.

You also can’t expect that kind of puck luck to last for a whole season. 

Also, Petey just doesn’t look right. He’s struggling to find his game. His passes are inconsistent, his positioning and reads on the flow of play are off, and his shot (when he uses it) isn’t up to his standards yet, for whatever reason. Probably a combination of mental/confidence issues, bad luck, and just rusty. Demko is also off his game. He’s made mental errors that you don’t normally see from him. Again, probably just adjusting to the higher expectations and he needs to settle down. Schmidt has played well, but he’s still feeling his way out with the new team, and at times he seems a little lost reading from his teammates and doesn’t have that comfort and familiarity yet. It’ll come. Horvat hasn’t really dominated yet (other than on faceoffs), but he will. Hughes is playing well, but he looks like he’s the only one sometimes, and he can’t do it by himself. JT Miller had the Covid thing and is just one game back. And overall, the team just looks like they’re still in preseason form, and haven’t clicked yet. 

We need a lucky game with lots of pucks going in, to build confidence, and get the boys feeling good about themselves, and the team rolling. It’ll come. 

Will we be a “good” team? That remains to be seen. I agree with the overall roster changes and direction (even if some of it was forced by bad cap decisions earlier into JB’s tenure), but this was always going to be a transition year, due to the glut of overpriced veteran contracts, forced salary reduction from ownership, having to let good players walk, and not being about to move out overpriced contracts, especially in the bottom-six (and taxi squad). We’ve lost some key components and big time leaders and locker room guys. We’ve also added some new ones, and they’re going to help. But we need to gel again, have the new pieces really slot in, our young guys to continue to develop and progress, and for many of our star players to find their games. 

We will not be as bad as we’ve looked so far. But at the same time, it’s hard to know exactly how much better we can be. Hopefully better enough to be relevant in the playoff hunt, but it was always going to be a coin flip whether or not we’d have a chance to return to the postseason this year.

I think some criticism for the coaching staff is fair, even at this early stage. The boys really haven’t come out looking ready, and that’s on the coaches and preparation, regardless of the challenges of this season, with a delayed start, training camp being different, and no preseason. Every team was in the same boat, and Green looks to have been a step behind other coaches, as far as doing what was needed to really hit the ground running. Even little things like no power play practice during the scrimmages is looking like a mistake right now. Seems like they expected last year’s playoff version of the PP would just magically reappear, without having to actually work on it, which hasn’t panned out too well. But there’s too much talent on the team for the power play to struggle like this. And same goes for the PK. Special teams will eventually come around, and that’s been the different between wins and losses so far.

So anyway, sorry for the long rambling post, but I’m just going to wait and see. Ten games in, we can start to look at the results and the trends, and then decide how “good” or “bad” we are. I expect by then, the boys will finally start looking like they’re in regular season form, and we’ll see how well this group can compete, in its current form, or if adjustments need to be made to the roster or coaches (or management eventually, as JB ultimately owns whatever happens with this team, and he’s hardly immune from criticism).

I agree about 10 games in giving a better picture. The problem is that with a shortened schedule, 10 games is already 18% of the season. A step back this year isn't the end of the world. Podz and more draft picks are coming. Anchor contracts are closer to ending.

• Cheers 4

All this doom,  gloom and despair. Fire coaches, fire GM, blame the vets, blame the rookies.............. good lord people

Lets see how this unfolds by game 10. We knew this was going to be a challenging covid season. Yes they are starting to dig a big hole for themselves.....

Come on  canucks, right the ship, fill the hole and win a f#%€king game.

Go CANUCKS go 

• Cheers 2

That was a brutal performance, pathetic. Especially in the third period hard to bear. I hope everbody picks it up and gives a better effort next time in the GDT/PGT. Come on CDC!  :emot-parrot:

As far as the team is concerned, they'll be fine.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Wake me up when we’re ten games in, and I’ll check the results and decide whether or not it’s time for panicky changes to the roster and coaching staff.

Just a reminder: the 2020 Presidents’ Trophy winning Bruins lost three in a row twice, four in a row, and five in a row, during the 2019-20 season. The Cup winning Lightning lost three in a row and four in a row. It happens. To good teams, and to bad teams. We don’t know which the Canucks are yet.

What I do see: a lot of our forwards look snakebitten and we’ve had some really bad puck luck. A few goals here or there can dramatically change fortunes. Take last game. If we score on those first period chances, we likely blow the Flames out, and possibly chase Marky from the net. Instead, the Flames survive the first period, win the second, and we ultimately lose the game. Just about every NHL game has these storylines. If you don’t score on your chances, you usually lose. And we haven’t been putting the puck in the net. This allows for huge momentum shifts, when opponents score, and we’ve seen opponent having pretty good puck luck. They get a decent chance, they score. We don’t. And the game shifts.

That’s not to say that we’ve looked good and deserve a lot better. We’re around where we deserve to be, as far as record. Maybe should be 2 and 2 (last game would’ve been won in the first period on most nights), but 1 and 3 feels about right.

But our guys aren’t scoring on “gift” level scoring chances, and you can’t win that way.

You also can’t expect that kind of puck luck to last for a whole season. 

Also, Petey just doesn’t look right. He’s struggling to find his game. His passes are inconsistent, his positioning and reads on the flow of play are off, and his shot (when he uses it) isn’t up to his standards yet, for whatever reason. Probably a combination of mental/confidence issues, bad luck, and just rusty. Demko is also off his game. He’s made mental errors that you don’t normally see from him. Again, probably just adjusting to the higher expectations and he needs to settle down. Schmidt has played well, but he’s still feeling his way out with the new team, and at times he seems a little lost reading from his teammates and doesn’t have that comfort and familiarity yet. It’ll come. Horvat hasn’t really dominated yet (other than on faceoffs), but he will. Hughes is playing well, but he looks like he’s the only one sometimes, and he can’t do it by himself. JT Miller had the Covid thing and is just one game back. And overall, the team just looks like they’re still in preseason form, and haven’t clicked yet. 

We need a lucky game with lots of pucks going in, to build confidence, and get the boys feeling good about themselves, and the team rolling. It’ll come. 

Will we be a “good” team? That remains to be seen. I agree with the overall roster changes and direction (even if some of it was forced by bad cap decisions earlier into JB’s tenure), but this was always going to be a transition year, due to the glut of overpriced veteran contracts, forced salary reduction from ownership, having to let good players walk, and not being about to move out overpriced contracts, especially in the bottom-six (and taxi squad). We’ve lost some key components and big time leaders and locker room guys. We’ve also added some new ones, and they’re going to help. But we need to gel again, have the new pieces really slot in, our young guys to continue to develop and progress, and for many of our star players to find their games. 

We will not be as bad as we’ve looked so far. But at the same time, it’s hard to know exactly how much better we can be. Hopefully better enough to be relevant in the playoff hunt, but it was always going to be a coin flip whether or not we’d have a chance to return to the postseason this year.

I think some criticism for the coaching staff is fair, even at this early stage. The boys really haven’t come out looking ready, and that’s on the coaches and preparation, regardless of the challenges of this season, with a delayed start, training camp being different, and no preseason. Every team was in the same boat, and Green looks to have been a step behind other coaches, as far as doing what was needed to really hit the ground running. Even little things like no power play practice during the scrimmages is looking like a mistake right now. Seems like they expected last year’s playoff version of the PP would just magically reappear, without having to actually work on it, which hasn’t panned out too well. But there’s too much talent on the team for the power play to struggle like this. And same goes for the PK. Special teams will eventually come around, and that’s been the different between wins and losses so far.

So anyway, sorry for the long rambling post, but I’m just going to wait and see. Ten games in, we can start to look at the results and the trends, and then decide how “good” or “bad” we are. I expect by then, the boys will finally start looking like they’re in regular season form, and we’ll see how well this group can compete, in its current form, or if adjustments need to be made to the roster or coaches (or management eventually, as JB ultimately owns whatever happens with this team, and he’s hardly immune from criticism).

Thumbs up; a nice, balanced review of what we've seen so far.

It's not pretty right now but as you say, it's still very early. Teams can have a bad week or two stretch and still be great, it's just possible we're having our stretch out of the gate.

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Didn't think it was fine worthy, given Monahan was more upset that he swung at him rather than the actual damage from the slash. Lol. It's whatever though. Was nice to see some emotion. Just needs to unleash it in a more in-the-rules kinda way.

I think it's more punishing the act than the result. It was a reckless play, a few inches higher and it could have done damage.

Personally, I’d rather the team struggle early and take its lumps now and find its stride later on than come out of the gate red hot and struggle down the stretch like we have seen often in recent years. Now, on the flip side, with a shortened, condensed schedule this team can not afford to give away too many points as every game is a mean something game this season. I’m not worried at the moment because I know this team is better than what they have showed the past 3 games but what’s concerning is how they are losing. Green needs to light a fire under these guys a**** and have them ready to go each night and they team needs to start taking responsibility and play disciplined hockey. I firmly believe this is a wait and see year for the future of Travis Green and if this team flounders I don’t think he will be back next year.