The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators | January 28 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

If we can pull off the sweep (and that was one of OTT better games last night) , ten games in, several back to backs without much time for this teams to work together outside of live games ... not too shabby after all.   Still lots of work to do, and some good teams to beat to get into the third or fourth spot.    We can do better then last night - hope we won't see another period like yesterday's first for some time.   

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If we can pull off the sweep (and that was one of OTT better games last night) , ten games in, several back to backs without much time for this teams to work together outside of live games ... not too shabby after all.   Still lots of work to do, and some good teams to beat to get into the third or fourth spot.    We can do better then last night - hope we won't see another period like yesterday's first for some time.   

Although I think the d-side game was a bit better it is still a work in progress. +40 shots does not come close to cutting it. Scoring from the bottom 6 is a real strength. My fav Motte is killing it. He is a Mike Keanu clone. Sens are in crisis. Desperation time. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Basic math, we can’t  move up unless we beat teams below up....and there are not many below us !!!!

need to be ready out of the gate, the 2 wins we have already mean nothing if we blow this game 

must win game 

Every more importantly, the math says we need to beat CAL, EDM and WNP every chance we get as those teams are the ones that could all be four point games as the going says...and hope when they play each other there isn't many OT/SO losses.     The four game stretch against CAL could determine what of the two teams end up over the other in the end.    Agree though,  we need these two points and OTT isn't as an easy win as they were last year.   Added some meat and potatoes to their lineup for sure. 

1 minute ago, Convincing John said:

I really want to see Juolevi back in the lineup. Nothing against chatty but IMO that was OJ’s best game as a pro the other night. He needs to build off that. Stop handling him with kid gloves already he has waited long enough. 

That’s very convincing John. I’d like to see him back in tonight as well. My theory is they are swapping on back to backs. Let’s see if I’m right 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Motte needs to be protected at the ED.   He's making our bottom six a threat every single game.    Take away the first period for sure .... yes most where routine saves, Demko still saved our bacon.   As far as Mike Keane goes ... not a bad comparison with the exception Mike Keane was one of the most feared fighters in his weight class...

Did you pick Keane because he was a red head too? Jk

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Motte needs to be protected at the ED.   He's making our bottom six a threat every single game.    Take away the first period for sure .... yes most where routine saves, Demko still saved our bacon.   As far as Mike Keane goes ... not a bad comparison with the exception Mike Keane was one of the most feared fighters in his weight class...

Motte's definitely making a strong case for ED protection.  It's good to see his strong playoff performance has carried over.  It looks like he has hit his stride at the NHL level.  The Canucks may find themselves fortunate to have signed him for a 2nd year at $1.225M.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

How many posts has Pettersson hit so far? 

I feel like at least 3? 

Just an inch and he could be at 5 goals

Seems like one a game on average...plus he missed an open net on a 2-0...an inch or two the other way and he could have a goal a game so far..

• Cheers 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Seems like one a game on average...plus he missed an open net on a 2-0...an inch or two the other way and he could have a goal a game so far..

Good news is, he's starting to come around. 

While people talk about this being a really bad year to have a poor start, I think it's actually the opposite. Every game being a divisional game means that we have control of our destiny. We talk about those important 4 pt games during a stretch drive for the playoffs. This entire regular season is it. Every game is a 4 pt game. I think when we are going, we are better than Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa) the most crucial thing is that we best those teams in head to head matchups (hopefully in regulation) and try to stay  .500 with the leafs, mtl, cgy

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Did you pick Keane because he was a red head too? Jk

I didn't pick Keane ... and wouldn't have either... have to think about it for a bit (who Motte reminds me of)...he's got a little Scotty Walker in him minus the fisticuffs...Keane was a warrior class above Motte...Hansen so far seems like a good comparison too.    I do think he had untapped upside.   He's so valuable to our bottom six doubt he gets a chance without injuries...I hope Podz earns his spot on the team because he's got bottom six written all over him with the way he plays...the better roster we get, the harder it will become for Motte to get his due - but as of right now he's pulled that entire line out of the fourth spot to the third, despite ridiculous d-zone starts.   Makes you wonder what he could do with 70% o-zone starts though doesn't it?   Hope he keeps scoring.   Could be our very own Gallagher.