The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators | January 28 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Good news is, he's starting to come around. 

While people talk about this being a really bad year to have a poor start, I think it's actually the opposite. Every game being a divisional game means that we have control of our destiny. We talk about those important 4 pt games during a stretch drive for the playoffs. This entire regular season is it. Every game is a 4 pt game. I think when we are going, we are better than Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa) the most crucial thing is that we best those teams in head to head matchups (hopefully in regulation) and try to stay  .500 with the leafs, mtl, cgy

I think when we are going,  we are as good as any team in the league.   We've proved that last year against other top teams in the leagues.   What worries me a little, is when the expensive depth goes, will we be able to replace it.   Luongo, LE and Bear will cover EP and QHs next contract.     We won't be in as tough a spot as TO and EDM spreading it out - but we will for sure start feeling the pinch.   As long as we have 1-2 rookies keep coming in for the next 2-3 years we should be fine.   That's a tall ask.   So i'm not even really that concerned about this season lol.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I really want to see Juolevi back in the lineup. Nothing against chatty but IMO that was OJ’s best game as a pro the other night. He needs to build off that. Stop handling him with kid gloves already he has waited long enough. 

OJ has a long history of injuries...played a lot of games in a small amount of time.   Salo would be injured  already. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Motte needs to be protected at the ED.   He's making our bottom six a threat every single game.    Take away the first period for sure .... yes most where routine saves, Demko still saved our bacon.   As far as Mike Keane goes ... not a bad comparison with the exception Mike Keane was one of the most feared fighters in his weight class...

Loved Mike Keane. Plays 1161 NHL games. Wins Cups in Montreal and Dallas, retires and goes home to Winnipeg to play another 5 years with the Moose, 365 games. Retires at 42 years old. There are times when I think of players who deserve some ROH consideration even tho they never dressed for the Canucks. Keane played and likely mentored; Burrows, Bieksa, Rypien, Edler, Grabner, Hanson, Bourdon, Raymond, Rome, Schneider and Nolan Baumgartner (current Canuck coach). At the least they could have had a night for him with some of his alumni there. Your right about his tough game but not overtly so. He played a mentally tough game and if it took physicality he was ready.   

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

OJ has a long history of injuries...played a lot of games in a small amount of time.   Salo would be injured  already. 

Sami takes one in the jewels, Nashville series I think, and comes back after a game. He was injury prone but a gamer.  

It feels like over the years, no matter who has coached and who was on the team, the Canucks have often had stretches where they have been a Jekyll and Hyde team.  We had the "Cardiac Canucks" awhile back who would basically always start games flat but then still find a way to win at the end.  This season, we had the Game #1 team which actually played very well, followed by lackluster play from Games #2-#7, and now baby steps in the right direction in Games #8 and #9 against Ottawa.  Game #9 was basically illustrative of the season thus far.  When they're off, they are REALLY off.  But when they are on, they are a very dangerous team.  Ottawa is not the stiffest competition out there but I saw a tweet that made the point about how Ottawa actually outscored Toronto in their series earlier this season.  Hate them all we want, but Toronto is no slouch of a team.  I watched some of those games and Ottawa looked inspired with a chip on their shoulder.  They have not looked that way so far against the Canucks.

At this point, I hope coaching staff can help equip the players with ways to play more consistently.  As I have said in a previous post, I'm more on the fence in terms of the Canucks moving on from Green mainly because I find it hard to pin a lot of the blame for poor play on him.  I believe coaching can only do so much to prepare and motivate a team.  I think this is true of many NHL coaches who are ultimately fired by their teams.  Firing a coach is the "easiest" move to make to try and spark a team because, IMHO, it can serve more as a symbolic "get your act together" move to the roster than actually moving out players.  So many fired NHL head coaches find new work fairly quickly.

From some of the quotes from last night attributed to Miller and Petey, it sounds like Miller has been helping Petey to learn how to tune out the noise and just play his game.  I think that's illustrative of how the focus and desire ultimately needs to be generated from each player and among the players.  You can't coach that.  The coaches need to come in with a plan and learn how to place each player in a position where they can flourish the most.  They can encourage players, equip them with tools to build their skills and understanding of the game, and help give them "wake up calls", but they can't teach desire and focus.  I think that's why a guy like Hoglander has earned the trust of coaching so quickly.

As nice of a result as Game #8 versus Ottawa had, I think the final 2 periods of Game #9 provide the most encouragement that the Canucks could be turning the corner and entering a phase of more consistently play.  Honestly, it's not entirely surprising that this happened since there was no pre-season.  Usually the team would have more time to work out the kinks before points are on the line.  If they can back to .500 tonight, then that should put them in a position to get right back into the thick of things for a potential playoff berth.

One final comment re Jake.  I have read some sources about Jake being invisible tonight.  While I don't disagree with that, there were also stats to show that Jake (and his line) really pushed possession in favor of the Canucks.  I don't know how much of that is Jake versus his linemates, but that at least is encouraging.  The thing I notice about Jake's play (when I'm specifically looking for him on the ice) is that he seems to be playing more on the perimeter.  He's had some good play where he has used his body to protect the puck and maintain possession which I have not seen as much from him in past seasons, but he's not getting the puck to dangerous areas as much as one would hope he would.  After his production last season, I think it's fair to say that Jake should be able to do more.  While I hope Jake can start producing some points, if the Canucks are really expecting to bring Podkolzin into the fold in April, then I wonder if Jake might be on the block particularly since it looks like MacEwen is going to get regular PT at RW.  I could see the Canucks trying to bring in a younger 3C since it looks like coaching might have already lost trust in Gaudette's ability to fill that role.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

This is why the NHL needs to follow the IIHF round robin rules. 

3 points up for grabs every game

Regulation time winner gets 3 points, loser 0

Overtime/shootout, both teams get 1 point and the winner gets that 3rd point

Level playing field for everyone

I agree, but it will never happen. Betman et all want close standings to keep fan bases intrigued. Just don't see it changing, but it should. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think when we are going,  we are as good as any team in the league.   We've proved that last year against other top teams in the leagues.   What worries me a little, is when the expensive depth goes, will we be able to replace it.   Luongo, LE and Bear will cover EP and QHs next contract.     We won't be in as tough a spot as TO and EDM spreading it out - but we will for sure start feeling the pinch.   As long as we have 1-2 rookies keep coming in for the next 2-3 years we should be fine.   That's a tall ask.   So i'm not even really that concerned about this season lol.  

Having Hog come in and playing the way he is playing is such great news for this organization. Juolevi is technically a rookie still. 

We have Podz coming. Chatfield is playing too. We still have Rathbone. 

I think once a lot of the vet contracts comes off the books, well be in good shape. 

My main concern is, who will we lose to Seattle in the draft? 

I hope we find a way to keep motte

Edited by CanucksJay

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Having Hog come in and playing the way he is playing is such great news for this organization. Juolevi is technically a rookie still. 

We have Podz coming. Chatfield is playing too. We still have Rathbone. 

I think once a lot of the vet contracts comes off the books, well be in good shape. 

My main concern is, who will we lose to Seattle in the draft? 

I hope we find a way to keep motte

Forwards are fine. Motte can easily be protected. It’s the defence cause I believe we have to protect Joulevi or Chatfield cause they’ve been pro long enough AHL etc. Hughes is exempt and I would think they would protect Schmidt maybe expose Myers to keep the kids 

I wish the governments would allow a limited number of fans into the buildings.  There should be no reason to not allow say, 5000 fans in to watch the games. Why can't they come up with a seating plan that keeps people safe?  Just season ticket holders. Maybe alternate games through the season tickets. Allowing them all to get a group of games. 

8 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I wish the governments would allow a limited number of fans into the buildings.  There should be no reason to not allow say, 5000 fans in to watch the games. Why can't they come up with a seating plan that keeps people safe?  Just season ticket holders. Maybe alternate games through the season tickets. Allowing them all to get a group of games. 

Totally agree. Just look at the NFL playoff games. Thousands of fans in the stands. US severly hit by Covid, even though allowing fans to visit the NFL games.

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Totally agree. Just look at the NFL playoff games. Thousands of fans in the stands. US severly hit by Covid, even though allowing fans to visit the NFL games.

There is 3 NHL teams allowing around 25% capacity into their buildings. Everything is done cashless and without contact . If you can go into a super store then why not a game. It doesn't make any sense.  To me.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

10 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Forwards are fine. Motte can easily be protected. It’s the defence cause I believe we have to protect Joulevi or Chatfield cause they’ve been pro long enough AHL etc. Hughes is exempt and I would think they would protect Schmidt maybe expose Myers to keep the kids 

Juolevi would need to be protected.   Chatfield will be a UFA at the end of this season although CapFriendly still shows him as a RFA.   Rafferty too.

Players who are 25  and been under contract for 3 pro-seasons and have not reached 80 NHL games become so called group 6 UFAs.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Every more importantly, the math says we need to beat CAL, EDM and WNP every chance we get as those teams are the ones that could all be four point games as the going says...and hope when they play each other there isn't many OT/SO losses.     The four game stretch against CAL could determine what of the two teams end up over the other in the end.    Agree though,  we need these two points and OTT isn't as an easy win as they were last year.   Added some meat and potatoes to their lineup for sure. 

Yes, honestly i have given Toronto and montreal a spot so i hope they take out cal, edm, winn

Wins against cal, edm, mon are imperative 

we HAVE to beat ottawa 

we need to get as many points off toronto and montreal as we can