The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators | January 28 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Weak side sag is frankly nothing more than the weak side winger covering a zone area and reacting to puck and player movement. 

yes we TRY to play that system but here is where it fails with Baumer is we stay static so, although deploy the system, we don't press and place puck pressure. This happens in normal coverage and the penalty kill. In addition, we rarely finish our d zone checks which in turn opens us up to the cycle 

simple fixes but does Baumer adapt? Nope

i tell you this as the preeminent hockey expert on this forum because i feel its my calling to spread hockey knowledge 

Fake News! :lol:

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

3 game win streak but hey lets point out the negatives of the early season instead

Yep. Donny and the Moj get right to Jake being benched. Then after that begin to talk about the positives.

I fit bleeds it leads.

Our D currently appears the proverbial Forrest Gump boxa' chocolates. Individually enjoying their skills..but not quite yet sure of the pairings? Pretty curious how Rathbone & Brisebois look these days, as well.

I wonder if we c/should risk trading a young D for a pick? That is, if some decimated squad would overpay. Prob unlikely occurrence, especially with the border hassles.

But at a certain pt folks, JB's propensity for picking gems is gonna get his phone ringing earlier than we might guess. With ED on the horizon, it might be a fine time to flip a young piece(or two) for something older that requires a protection slot.

7 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Which is why it was vitally important to have Marie and Clay there boo'ing the refs!!!   Somebody's gotta do it....job well done guys!

(I couldn't figure that out either).

dang lucky, they got to go to the game.
EDIT: also they probably got too hear some good stuff on the ice, from the players.

Edited by TNucks1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

If anyone is not happy about tonight, it is a clear indication that they are not a Canucks fan. Feel free to go back under your bridge.

Nah, I’m just not a type of fan who gets too high or too low throughout a few wins and losses like 90% of the people on here. For Gawd sakes someone on here argued that motte should be in the top six. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Our D currently appears the proverbial Forrest Gump boxa' chocolates. Individually enjoying their skills..but not quite yet sure of the pairings? Pretty curious how Rathbone & Brisebois look these days, as well.

I wonder if we c/should risk trading a young D for a pick? That is, if some decimated squad would overpay. Prob unlikely occurrence, especially with the border hassles.

But at a certain pt folks, JB's propensity for picking gems is gonna get his phone ringing earlier than we might guess. With ED on the horizon, it might be a fine time to flip a young piece(or two) for something older that requires a protection slot.

id rather trade 3-4 pieces  that require protecting  for a young elc 3rd line center and a young elc right shot dman

baertchi  edler  sutter benn pearson  could all be trade line assets  edler will be resigned  after seattle expansion  may as well get some or any draft picks for expiring contracts. 

myers roussel  eriksson holtby chatfield   brisbois  lind bailey    could all be exposed and taken by kraken  i expect benning to   either trade  a few of these guys rather than lose for nothing  or hope myers or eriksson get grabbbed that would open anyother 6 mill in cap to get a nice 3rd line center and right d 

at free agency or at draft. Benning isnt giving seattle much  good strategy leaving bad contracts for them and  holtbys contract is more actual money next yr    hamonic deal expires  as does bunch of other vets 

our protection list

petey

miller

boeser 

horvat

motte 

virtanen

gaudette 

schmidt

hughes

tryamkin

demko

players not eligible (to young and injured)

rathbone

hoglander

podkolzin 

juolevi

macewen 

ferland ( missed last2 yrs career threatening injury probably on ir til contract over then retires)

1 hour ago, linden17 said:

Nah, I’m just not a type of fan who gets too high or too low throughout a few wins and losses like 90% of the people on here. For Gawd sakes someone on here argued that motte should be in the top six. 

For gawd sakes someone on here argues endlessly that JV should be in the top six :picard:, hahaha

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

id rather trade 3-4 pieces  that require protecting  for a young elc 3rd line center and a young elc right shot dman

baertchi  edler  sutter benn pearson  could all be trade line assets  edler will be resigned  after seattle expansion  may as well get some or any draft picks for expiring contracts. 

myers roussel  eriksson holtby chatfield   brisbois  lind bailey    could all be exposed and taken by kraken  i expect benning to   either trade  a few of these guys rather than lose for nothing  or hope myers or eriksson get grabbbed that would open anyother 6 mill in cap to get a nice 3rd line center and right d 

at free agency or at draft. Benning isnt giving seattle much  good strategy leaving bad contracts for them and  holtbys contract is more actual money next yr    hamonic deal expires  as does bunch of other vets 

our protection list

petey

miller

boeser 

horvat

motte 

virtanen

gaudette 

schmidt

hughes

tryamkin

demko

rathbone

hoglander

podkolzin 

juolevi

macewen 

ferland ( missed last2 yrs career threatening injury probably on ir til contract over then retires)

All great  ideas and suggestions, although im struggling with having Tryamkin on the protected list?

Will Edler retire a canuck? Short team friendly deal?

Is JV showing enougn to be protected?  I say trade him now if you can or loose him to expansion, move on

Sutter trade if we are out of the playoff but if we are in we are a better team with him in the lineup 

My 2 cents

Go Canucks go 

37 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

our protection list

petey

miller

boeser 

horvat

motte 

virtanen

gaudette 

schmidt

hughes

tryamkin

demko

rathbone

hoglander

podkolzin 

juolevi

macewen 

I don't think Juolevi and MacEwen are projected to be exempt.

Also pretty sure Hughes is exempt and Tryamkin won't need protection unless he signs with the Canucks this season.

So likely list of 3 Dmen protected:

Schmidt

Juolevi

Myers

(Hughes & Tryamkin exempt)

Edited by BigTramFan

4 hours ago, gurn said:

Yep. Donny and the Moj get right to Jake being benched. Then after that begin to talk about the positives.

I fit bleeds it leads.

I missed it, was their argument that the Canucks played their best 60 min game of the year without Jake in the lineup? 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't want to jinx anything, no way ding dang it, but Brock Boeser  would appear to be having one heck of a season.  He is instinctively making the smart plays.  Reading the power play better then I've seen him do to date.  He predicts the open areas and gets to them.  Knows where his mates are without giving it up to the opposition  allowing for the pass that wasn't covered.  You know he's doing something right when he's got enough time to have a coffee with the opposition goalie before he puts one by him.

Like that shot on Carey Price a couple of years ago. BB had like 3 full seconds in the slot, staring down the goalie. Then ripped it.