The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Jake Virtanen for Jesse Puljiujarvi

[proposal] Jake Virtanen for Jesse Puljiujarvi

The "poor man's" version of Laine for Dubois, in that, two former high 1st rounders are being moved for one another.   

In this case however, it would be about two guys a much needed change of scenery and an opportunity to start over.     

Why Vancouver does this:  

• Puljiujarvi has higher top end talent.  If JP ever manages to live up his potential, then this guy more than adequate fills the shoes of the departed Toffoli
  • Better defensively than Virtanen which might fit into Green's system better.    Puljiujarvi has a decent two way game and isn't afraid to battle in the corner.  This type of game would seem to mesh well with EP's or Horvat's.   
  • Don't let the low point totals fool you.  While JP has only netted 2 points in 9 games in Edmonton thus far, he looks like he's playing much better.  He's getting 3rd line minutes in Edmonton and is basically the only bright spot on that line.  The guy might be closer to breaking out than we all think.

Why Edmonton does this:   

• Virtanen has outperformed JP in his career thus far.  Although JV has been a lightning rod for criticism during his tenure as a Canuck, he's still only one season removed from having had a 20 goal pace.  
  • Speed to rival McDavid's.   There are only a few people on the planet that can 'keep up' with McDavid's skating and JV is one of those men.  Putting JV alongside McDavid might be a genius move.   

Just now, D-Money said:

I seriously doubt either side wants to make this trade with a divisional rival. The amount of blowback a team would get if the other side won the deal just isn’t worth the risk.

More likely this year than any other because of the quarantine rules.  Benning's also made tons of trades with division rivals.  At this point Edmonton needs actual NHL forwards outside their top 2 lines and they aren't in a position where they can wait.

5 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Any combination of Puljujarvi, Bennett, and Virtanen could (value wise) conceivably be traded 1 for 1 with each other. 

I would like Bennett for Virtanen...Both players same age and both players need a new start...

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 1

Puljujarvi has made his way to the top line and is earning a lot of praise for his play.  He has matured and is starting to put the pieces together.  There’s no way they make this trade now that he is starting to get how he needs to play.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I would like Bennett for Virtanen...Both players same age and both players need a new start...

This might be a more realistic deal.  I like the fact that Bennett has a solid two way game and might be able to take some pressure off of Horvat on that front.   Bennett could be our Sutter replacement?  (although I get it - Bennet is a LH shot)

23 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Identical cap hit too. 

I would be totally in favour of Virtanen for Bennett. But like I said earlier... probably won’t happen.

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Identical cap hit too. 

I would be totally in favour of Virtanen for Bennett. But like I said earlier... probably won’t happen.

I wouldn't. You get another player who won't show up in the regular season, but does fine in the playoffs. But you have to do well in the regular season to get into the playoffs. 

No thanks. It would be more of a gamble with JP, but it's less of a cap hit as well. But Edmonton doesn't really have cap space either, so I doubt they'd do it. 

• Cheers 1

Folks form different places have different viewpoints.   Will try and get the glasses out for you to see how we see each other, from each other's eyeballs : 

Why EDM doesn't do this: 

"f!cking hippies, I hate the Canucks, other then all the times we used to abuse them the first decade....we played each other, we won, that was fun...also their city  their smells like pot, old worms and fish.. maybe if it wasn't raining and cloudy all the time we'd notice the ocean and the mountains, does Vancouver even qualify as a Canadian city?"

Why Vancouver doesn't do this:

"f!cking EDM - pphhfff...five cups.  Why does this city even exist,.. it's cold out at plus four and rain!  -

what the heck is minus 35

anywayssszaa?   Also their city...hmmm...  doesn't look like a city! just a very large trailer park all stuck together and stuffzz! which made some buildings, their lakes are all clay bottomed and five feet deep making it look like a nasty, nasty bath-tub.... and geeze belieze - at least from Calgary we can see the Mountains - because, like, ..:  we are all into the mountains and stuff all the time. "  

In summation, what is the biggest trade EVER to either CAL or EDM.   was it Steve freaking Staois? 

Edited by IBatch

15 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

JP is having a better season than JV right now by a long-way, 5 points in 13 games and he's playing consistently. I'd do the trade in a heart-beat but doubt Edmonton will now, certainly would have in the off-season though.

Tough trade for both teams given neither wants to be burned by it later ... and your right JP is off to a good start, and his play away from the puck is much better so far aside from his points ... plays bigger and uses his size more effectively...sad really.  JV might get another chance, he sure blew his early season gift.