The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks need a power forward.

I think this can depend on how a team plays. The Canucks currently play fast and strong hockey on the boards and move the puck fast. They have powerful forwards such as Bo, Pearson, Miller etc but none are true power forwards.

Do you need a guy who will run over defenders to make a path to the net or can you use skill to blow past defenders with slick skating and smooth passing?

I guess what I am saying is that the forward group on this team is doing fine as is.

Edited by GarthButcher5

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I don’t know what anyone else thinks. I like the make up of our team, I just feel

we need that big hulking power forward. I always thought Anthony’s by Mantha would look great in a Canucks uniform. Still young and learning. Any other ideas or players you guys think would help this team?

Tampa Bay won the Cup last year with a bunch of smurfs.  The days of the big power forward playing in the top 6 ala Todd Bertuzzi and Milan Lucic are pretty much over.  Other than a few players around the league like a Tom Wilson you won't see too many true power forwards in today's game, it's all about speed now.  That's why a guy like Lucic is not in the top 6 anymore.  Podkolzin, Miller and BO will be fine for us in our top 6 with Petey, Brock and Hogs mixed in for a balanced group. 

Our bigger concern is trying to get a competitive 3rd line in place for the future that can play against the other team's top line and take some pressure off of BO for defensive duties.  We need a young 3C badly.  Sutter will be gone next year and Gaudette isn't a 3rd line centre.  Kole Lind may be that guy.  If not we have to find one.

• Cheers 2

JT Miller plays a heavy game, not quite power foward, but he can lay the body, same with MacEwen.  This team is showing they can punish by committee.  Even Petey has been chippier this year and standing his ground. 

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Podkolzin

This post wins the thread.   

Podkolzin will be here in April and so it would be a bit silly to try and trade for one between now and then.   I also believe that there’s more than meets the eye with Zack MacEwen.    The guy likely will never before a top 6 forward   But I’m still liking a lot of what I see out of Zack.

31 minutes ago, Type R said:

JT Miller plays a heavy game, not quite power foward, but he can lay the body, same with MacEwen.  This team is showing they can punish by committee.  Even Petey has been chippier this year and standing his ground. 

Horvat belongs in this category as well.  Not a prototypical power forward but he’s like a Bull out there.  

7 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Horvat belongs in this category as well.  Not a prototypical power forward but he’s like a Bull out there.  

Agreed, and some guys should take notes from Hoglander, because jesus is he hard to knock down.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

This post wins the thread.   

Podkolzin will be here in April and so it would be a bit silly to try and trade for one between now and then.   I also believe that there’s more than meets the eye with Zack MacEwen.    The guy likely will never before a top 6 forward   But I’m still liking a lot of what I see out of Zack.

Maybe not guys! This article says Podkolzin might not happen this year after all.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prospects-tracker-a-wrinkle-in-the-podkolzin-timeline-lind-leading-the-comets/wcm/11e328b8-e20d-4e38-a545-5bb7dff92152/amp/

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82