The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Leafs fans wearing paper bags on their heads.

Montreal fans booing their team off the ice. 

These happened within the last few years. 

Knowledgeable fans know when the product on the ice is garbage and when management  and players underperform.  Lots of FA players have expressed a desire to play in  a Canadian market because of the passionate fans versus some of the lobotomized American markets.

Your assault on fans as a reason for players decisions is just deflecting from the mess this team is in right now.  

Re: Canadian teams, it’s been going on 30 years since Montreal won and we’ve only seen a Canadian team in the finals... five times?   Canada should have that many or more cups based on straight odds since we make up more than 20% of the league. Toronto can’t even get out of the first round. 

That’s the point and even then, TO and MTL get a lot more positive national coverage than we do. 

I actually understand where the media guys are coming from - their jobs are being cut left right and centre and they get about ten times as many clicks on a negative piece than a positive one.  Gotta put food on the table.  They get so defensive about being negative that you know it’s intentional though.  If that was my job I’d do it too.

“Knowledgeable” doesn’t mean hyper critical, negative and entitled which is the issue I have with the outspoken media / fans in BC. Too worried about holding the team “accountable” (lol) when record and revenue already do a much better job of that. 

Meanwhile, creating a positive atmosphere (supported by sports psychology) is where fans actually have some real influence and instead it swings in the opposite direction to stick it to management or whatever. It always involves choosing a player or two to crap all over which in the hockey world of guaranteed contracts is super useful. Meanwhile, the Owner doesn’t give a wet fart as long as people are showing up to games.  

It’s a shame (that/if) this young core is getting caught up in that because it’s a promising group. It kind of makes sense though - fans in arena cheer a win regardless - but without that the only interaction they’re getting is the wet blanket brigade revelling in the team’s struggles on Twitter.  

Again, I’m not targeting CDC here which generally trends positive and posters are fans, not wannabe podcasters stroking their egos. Nor am I saying the team doesn’t deserve criticism given their embarrassing start to the season.  Just the overall habits of media / social media fans that surround this hockey team.   It’s hard to measure how much of an impact it has but it certainly isn’t positive.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why have a captain then? 

Bo will lead by example.

He’s the guy I’m least worried about. Just need a game like Detroit last season when he inspired his teammates.

Thats what it’s gonna take right now. Stepping up each individuals game to be better and dragging everyone else along.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well that’s where I would argue fatigue is playing a factor.

For a team that relies heavily on a strong forecheck and cycle, if you’re getting beaten to the puck time and time again it makes it almost impossible to generate offense and sustain pressure.

Im seeing a team that is a step behind all game. Sometimes that 10% difference in energy makes all the difference.

Not trying to make excuses because there are also other factors contributing, but I think fatigue is exacerbating the problem.

They have been in the same location for four days and the same time zone for a couple of weeks now. They have also had breaks in between those games. Fatigue cannot be an excuse and it is still early in the season. Yes they have played more games but it’s not like they have had to travel like they would have in years past. I don’t buy the fatigue factor. I would if they had been travelling beforehand like crazy. If they are tired now we are in big trouble for the rest of the year.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

They have been in the location for four days and have had breaks in between those games. Fatigue cannot be an excuse and it is still early in the season. Yes they have played more games but it’s not like they have had to travel like they would have in years past. I don’t buy the fatigue factor. I would if they had been travelling beforehand like crazy.

Fatigue snowballs and it’s not like one day off really gives a player enough time to recover.

Fatigue is definitely playing a part. They are not skating like they did earlier in the season and the condensed schedule is the obvious reason.

9 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

we have speed, we just chose not to ice some of that speed last night... Virtanen, macEwen both have speed they just need a coach who trusts them or sees their speed and puts them in and preaches that they play like Clamato!

I want them to trade gaudette and get Bennett somehow and ice the line of virtanen Bennett and big mack. I think that’s a line you don’t mess with. It’s fast, hard hitting, potential to pop in some goals too. 

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Fatigue snowballs and it’s not like one day off really gives a player enough time to recover.

Fatigue is definitely playing a part. They are not skating like they did earlier in the season and the condensed schedule is the obvious reason.

They were bleeding goals like crazy in the beginning of the year too. I didn’t see a ton of speed then either which is why a lot of fans are frustrated. The way they have been playing since the beginning of the year is the same way they have been playing now. Nothing has changed. There has been no improvement. They have actually gotten worse. I don’t know which games you were watching where you thought wow they look fast tonight. If that were the case we wouldn’t have 9 losses on the season.Brutal losses at that. Remember three of those wins were against Ottawa. They make everyone else look like cup contenders. So really we are 3 and 9 against everyone else.

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

They were bleeding goals like crazy in the beginning of the year. I didn’t see a ton of speed then either which is why a lot of fans are frustrated. The way they have been playing since the beginning of the year is the same way they have been playing now. Nothing has changed. There has been no improvement. They have actually gotten worse. I don’t know which games you were watching where you thought wow they look fast tonight. If that were the case we wouldn’t have 9 losses. Brutal losses at that.

Don’t agree.

Poor special teams and below average goaltending was the problem early on.

Im not seeing the same hustle as early on.

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well that’s where I would argue fatigue is playing a factor.

For a team that relies heavily on a strong forecheck and cycle, if you’re getting beaten to the puck time and time again it makes it almost impossible to generate offense and sustain pressure.

Im seeing a team that is a step behind all game. Sometimes that 10% difference in energy makes all the difference.

Not trying to make excuses because there are also other factors contributing, but I think fatigue is exacerbating the problem.

We haven't played with a strong forecheck since game one tho...that is the problem. I will never stand down on my fact that the schedule aka fatigue is an issue.

We have 2 capable G's who can can put in net, we have a taxi squad where we can inject players for back to back night games if need be. Travel is cut down by playing only in Canada. Playing multiple games in the same city NEVER happens during a regular season on in the playoffs.

If they are so fatigued at playing 20 min a night and only a quarter thru the season...I think we got a whole batch of unfit, cardio deprived athletes...

Fact is, our system needs to be fixed and since our coaches can't seem to recognize that we should do a clean sweep behind the bench, then you can address management issues in the off season. But, put the kids with coaches who can adapt and put them on the right track to finish this season and not wait till next year to do so. All athletes have a best before date and while many of our good players are young you still don't want to waste a single year imo

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

We haven't played with a strong forecheck since game one tho...that is the problem. I will never stand down on my fact that the schedule aka fatigue is an issue.

We have 2 capable G's who can can put in net, we have a taxi squad where we can inject players for back to back night games if need be. Travel is cut down by playing only in Canada. Playing multiple games in the same city NEVER happens during a regular season on in the playoffs.

If they are so fatigued at playing 20 min a night and only a quarter thru the season...I think we got a whole batch of unfit, cardio deprived athletes...

Fact is, our system needs to be fixed and since our coaches can't seem to recognize that we should do a clean sweep behind the bench, then you can address management issues in the off season. But, put the kids with coaches who can adapt and put them on the right track to finish this season and not wait till next year to do so. All athletes have a best before date and while many of our good players are young you still don't want to waste a single year imo

Exactly and can we actually say they put in a full 60 in most of those games? Some games it looked like they only played hard for ten minutes of a game. So I agree fatigue should not be an issue. Remember they had four months off. When will they ever get that amount of time off again? They all look unfit because of that time off but they should be well rested and have energy.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Re: Canadian teams, it’s been going on 30 years since Montreal won and we’ve only seen a Canadian team in the finals... five times?   Canada should have that many or more cups based on straight odds since we make up more than 20% of the league. Toronto can’t even get out of the first round. 

That’s the point and even then, TO and MTL get a lot more positive national coverage than we do. 

I actually understand where the media guys are coming from - their jobs are being cut left right and centre and they get about ten times as many clicks on a negative piece than a positive one.  Gotta put food on the table.  They get so defensive about being negative that you know it’s intentional though.  If that was my job I’d do it too.

“Knowledgeable” doesn’t mean hyper critical, negative and entitled which is the issue I have with the outspoken media / fans in BC. Too worried about holding the team “accountable” (lol) when record and revenue already do a much better job of that. 

Meanwhile, creating a positive atmosphere (supported by sports psychology) is where fans actually have some real influence and instead it swings in the opposite direction to stick it to management or whatever. It always involves choosing a player or two to crap all over which in the hockey world of guaranteed contracts is super useful. Meanwhile, the Owner doesn’t give a wet fart as long as people are showing up to games.  

It’s a shame (that/if) this young core is getting caught up in that because it’s a promising group. It kind of makes sense though - fans in arena cheer a win regardless - but without that the only interaction they’re getting is the wet blanket brigade revelling in the team’s struggles on Twitter.  

Again, I’m not targeting CDC here which generally trends positive and posters are fans, not wannabe podcasters stroking their egos. Nor am I saying the team doesn’t deserve criticism given their embarrassing start to the season.  Just the overall habits of media / social media fans that surround this hockey team.   It’s hard to measure how much of an impact it has but it certainly isn’t positive.

I think online fan discussions have little to no affect on the team.  The press on the other hand obviously get under the skin of players and coaches on a regular basis but Vancouver isn't unique there.  Just watch Torts these days or Giroux totally wreck a reporter in Philly. 

I think where fans can directly affect the players most is in the rink, both positively and negatively.  Players can feed.off the crowd's energy or be disillusioned by Lack of support. 

All that said- and because there are enough fans in the rinks this year - whatever is ailing this group, I don't see it being laid at the feet of the fans.  It is internal between players and/or management.  

Edited by DIBdaQUIB

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t agree.

Poor special teams and below average goaltending was the problem early on.

Im not seeing the same hustle as early on.

Goaltending needs to be better but cmon, how many 2 on1s and breakaways were other teams given? Goaltending is still the least of our problems. Carey price would still let in a ton of goals with this defence. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Canucksince99 said:

I actually find this funny. Realistically it’s just our defence that is lacking. We struggle moving the puck out of our own end a lot. Forwards just blow the zone, defence makes terrible passes, ends up in our net. If they can go back to playing it simple and move up as a unit I think that’ll solve part of the problem 

Couldn't agree more.  If they do move it up as unit it could give other teams troubles as the Canucks have some defensemen that would cause headaches using this strategy (Hughes, Schmidt, Myers come to mind.  Perhaps even Juolevi)

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, bree2 said:

i don't get how some of you think Mysers is the worst, check out his plus/minus

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah he’s just the whipping boy because of his contact.  He does make some visible errors but he’s also being asked to be the high minute man on a team in disarray.  Reminds me of how everyone played “spot the mistake” with Edler a few years ago.

For some reason, maybe hard wired into us, big things are expected of big people.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

For some reason, maybe hard wired into us, big things are expected of big people.

Myers has played great hockey few times this season, but the whole team has done that lol. Everyone is playing bad collectively you can’t even really call out one or two guys at this point. The only people who show up fairly consistently are motte and hogz. If it was my choice I’d have juolevi in because he played great during his time in. Chatfield would slide out or maybe even give edler a little break. The one thing I do not like about Myers is that he plays like he’s a midget most of the time even though he towers over everyone. 

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

How many people on here want Benning to make trades if he is on his way out? He doesn’t have a good history of making trades under pressure and he’s terrible at negotiating. So do we really want him to make trades knowing he likes to throw draft picks at teams like he’s Willy Wonka at the chocolate factory giving away free candy. I don’t have any trust in his judgement or lack there of right now. Does anyone else?

I'm not sure your judgement can 'judge' wadr.

Kesler deal was excellent, particularly under the circumstances.

Miller trade was outstanding.

Schmidt was a helluvan opportune deal for a longshot pick.

Pearson = not a bad placeholder at all / good hockey trade.

Motte was a resounding victory of a deal.

Leivo was a steal.

The Shinkaruk trade thread was epic - but Benning got the better player.

People can whine about deals like Baertschi - but no one could foretell concussions.

Make your counter list - pick your whipping points - Sutter, Vey, Gud - whatever.

There are lots of decisions I don't agree with - that is true with every single administration.

If you want the good - you have to take the bad with it - because there is risk in every move - and every single GM in the NHL has wins and losses.

I am not concerned about 'making trades'.   I'd be happy to see some players moved - I'd be shopping Roussel and Benn - would unconditionally waive Eriksson, would proabably be looking for a hockey trade for (a better fit than/for Gaudette).   I'd also be testing the market for Pearson.  People would love to throw the 'foundation' centers in that mix - I would not - not at this point, and certainly not without replacing them.

My greater concern would actually be if they fired Benning.

Who would hire the next GM?

Linden hired a lot of good people in my opinion.  A hockey person hiring hockey people.

Prior to Linden - came the bizarre - and wildly failed - Tortorella experiment.

People love to assume that change will necessarily result in something better/ improved.   That aint necessarily the case - it could just as possibly end up in making worse decisions than the present group.   Simply firing someone - is not a 'plan'.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1